Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 11:40 AM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times

Advertisements

This is good news. People are finally waking up to our two party nightmare.

In Arizona, Libertarian Party Senate Candidate Polls at 15 Percent

Are Americans getting tired of the "choice" between dictatorial Democrats and control-freakish Republicans? Many of us would like to think so, and evidence from the crucial Arizona U.S. Senate race suggests that at least some voters are looking for an option that doesn't represent a competing brand of authoritarianism. In that contest, Libertarian Party nominee Marc Victor is polling at 15 percent and may get a further boost from his appearance in a well-timed televised debate.

"We have the best message," Victor told me. "There's absolutely no question in my mind that if you are interested in freedom, in peace, in raising standards of living, we have the right message. So, I sit and scratch my head and say I've been a libertarian 30 years, why are we still in the minority?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2022, 11:59 AM

13,754 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Assuming the 15% number is accurate which party (Dem/Rep) will it hurt? I would say the Dems. Independents make up 1/3 of registered voters so it's possible a higher percentage than usual may support Victor. He didn't have a bad debate night.
https://azsos.gov/elections/results-...ion-statistics.

However, the Dems can't afford for Victor to siphon off independents given the voter advantage Rep hold.

Old 10-17-2022, 12:45 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,419,986 times
From the article linked in the first post...

Quote:
"If the elections were held today, incumbent Democrat Mark Kelly sits at 46% support among likely voters, Republican Blake Masters at 33%, and Libertarian Marc Victor at 15%," reports the Arizona Public Opinion Pulse Poll conducted by OH Predictive.
It appears that the Libertarian candidate is disemboweling Republican support for Blake Masters.

Does Arizona require that the winner of the election receive at least 50% of the vote?

Or is it like Georgia, with a run-off election between the top two vote-getters?

Old 10-17-2022, 12:58 PM

13,754 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
From the article linked in the first post...

It appears that the Libertarian candidate is disemboweling Republican support for Blake Masters.

Does Arizona require that the winner of the election receive at least 50% of the vote?

Or is it like Georgia, with a run-off election between the top two vote-getters?

No. Just come out ahead.

As far as Victors disemboweling support for Masters I doubt it. Masters also had a good debate night. As did Kelly. My guess it's mostly independents Victors is picking off. I suspect that 15% isn't accurate but the libertarian vote certainly could be higher than in the past.

Old 10-17-2022, 01:02 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,419,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
My guess it's mostly independents Victors is picking off.
Ah, good point!

Old 10-17-2022, 01:12 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,955,245 times
If you are in Arizona Marc is the only non-extremist on the ballot.

On one hand you have Kelly, aka Mr. Gabby Gifford, an anti-gun zealot and illegal alien protectionist, with big money. On the other is Master's a right wing maga extremist, homophobe and woman hater. Only surpassed by Fincham as one of the stupidist men in AZ politics. Almost as ignorantly dumb as Kari Lake, who has absolutely zero knowledge of how government works.

Vote Libertarian, the "new" and only remaining party of moderation, or as Marc says, "live and let live."

We CAN take our country back without the extremist parties if people, especially non-aligned independents would just vote Libertarian.

Old 10-17-2022, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Assuming the 15% number is accurate which party (Dem/Rep) will it hurt? I would say the Dems. Independents make up 1/3 of registered voters so it's possible a higher percentage than usual may support Victor. He didn't have a bad debate night.

However, the Dems can't afford for Victor to siphon off independents given the voter advantage Rep hold.
Victor debated very well. Kelly is a horrible orator. Stammering, confused, nervous. Seems very low intelligence. Keep repeating the same line about SS money going to wall st. Once was enough. Masters made some good points. But he is extreme MAGA.

But Victor has no chance at winning. If he made it close they would find someone who he won a case for as a defense attorney who killed a bunch of people afterwards. 28 years defending criminals sometimes things don't turn out well.

Old 10-17-2022, 06:53 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:

Libertarians have been a god-send to democrats for a long while.

Old 10-17-2022, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Libertarians have been a god-send to democrats for a long while.
The Green party helped Trump get elected. The knife cuts both ways.

Old 10-17-2022, 07:14 PM

13,279 posts, read 7,316,697 times
In Arizona conservatives registered as independent voters more likely to vote for a libertarian if they don't like Masters, or Lake. I agree with most of the libertarian party problem is lobbyist who run this country never let it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections