Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 09:40 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Um, preventing Michiganders from purchasing tomato seeds is bat**** crazy, too!

And, telling people not to go boating, while her husband goes boating...

And, telling people to not leave their house, while she went on vacation in Florida...

Did Governor Whitmer ever fix the roads, like she promised to do?

I know nothing about Ms. Dixon, but to not call out Governor Whitmer for being bat**** crazy is wrong. Call them both out, and vote based on the issues...
Your advice is noted, as is your apparent misunderstanding of how state governments work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 09:47 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
No, it's not. For reasons already explained.

He didn't go boating, as already explained.

True, that.

You are possibly unaware that the state legislature has been in the full control of the Republican Party for the past decade or so, thanks to aggressive gerrymandering. The last thing that a GOP dominated legislature wants to do is give funding to a Democratic governor to fulfill a campaign promise.

The better question to ask is why a Republican-dominated state government failed to fix the roads for nearly a decade?

You know about Tudor Dixon - I told you about her in another thread, and you responded that she didn't sound like a good candidate for governor.

Governor Whitmer isn't bat**** crazy, but it certainly feeds the MAGA false narrative, now doesn't it?

Couldn't rep you again, yet.

All the Tudor cheerleaders in here can get back to me when Big Gretch says something like this:

The Republican gubernatorial nominee in Michigan invoked a conspiracy that the Covid-19 pandemic and protests in the summer of 2020 after the killing of George Floyd were part of a decades-long plan by the Democratic Party to “topple” the United States as retaliation for losing the US Civil War, adding that the party wanted to enslave people “again.”

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-...tter-rcna54511

Old 10-28-2022, 10:20 AM

3,113 posts, read 939,317 times
Hopefully Gretchen Witchmer gets her pink slip. Telling Michiganders they couldn't go to their lake house cottages during COVID, you have to be a punk to vote for her after that.

Old 10-28-2022, 10:37 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:

Actually....TRUE...somewhat.

Her husband did try to get his boat launched at the marina where it was stored. When he was refused, he joked about whether his being the governor's husband would change their minds.

She did tell people not to travel, and then went to Florida to visit her father.
Ha ha. So funny, expecting the husband of an elected official to follow said elected official's emergency orders. Peasants actually thinking the ruling class is principled enough to live up to the edicts they lay out for everyone else. What idiots. Ha ha.

Michigan voters, your choice is they keep laughing at you, or you get to laugh at them.

Old 10-28-2022, 10:39 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,419,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
Hopefully Gretchen Witchmer gets her pink slip. Telling Michiganders they couldn't go to their lake house cottages during COVID, you have to be a punk to vote for her after that.
During Spring 2020, you'd have to be an absolute idiot to go from Detroit or Grand Rapids to your cottage up north. Governor Whitmer was just trying to herd the morons.

For her effort, some of the morons who styled themselves the "Wolverine Militia" plotted to kidnap, try, and execute her. Do I need to inform you of what happened to said morons?

Northern Michigan doesn't have many hospital beds. If, back in Spring 2020, several thousand chuckleheads travelled from the COVID infested southern parts of Michigan to the northern parts, how likely do you think that COVID would spread to parts of the state totally unequipped to handle it?

Old 10-28-2022, 01:14 PM

3,113 posts, read 939,317 times
Quote:
During Spring 2020, you'd have to be an absolute idiot to go from Detroit or Grand Rapids to your cottage up north. Governor Whitmer was just trying to herd the morons.

For her effort, some of the morons who styled themselves the "Wolverine Militia" plotted to kidnap, try, and execute her. Do I need to inform you of what happened to said morons?

Northern Michigan doesn't have many hospital beds. If, back in Spring 2020, several thousand chuckleheads travelled from the COVID infested southern parts of Michigan to the northern parts, how likely do you think that COVID would spread to parts of the state totally unequipped to handle it?
Oh yes, go to your lake cottage, so scary, so risky!

Old 10-28-2022, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
Oh yes, go to your lake cottage, so scary, so risky!
The slightly older married couple who live next door to me have a place up north. During the lockdown, the wife confided to me that they weren't going up north due to the situation that I described. And this couple tracks very conservative.

Back in Spring 2020, Metro Detroit was getting just slammed by COVID. Hospitals were full up and people were being jammed in where ever the hospital staff could find room for them. If a COVID outbreak flared up in the norther Lower Peninsula or in the UP, it would have brought the health care systems there to a full stop.

We were told a decade ago not to transport firewood from southern Michigan to the northern parts because of the Emerald Ash Borer infestation, which would have decimated the northern woods. But it's OK with the MAGA faction to have a bunch of Metro Detroiters bring COVID to the people up north?

Old 10-28-2022, 01:39 PM

Quote:
The slightly older married couple who live next door to me have a place up north. During the lockdown, the wife confided to me that they weren't going up north due to the situation that I described. And this couple tracks very conservative.

Back in Spring 2020, Metro Detroit was getting just slammed by COVID. Hospitals were full up and people were being jammed in where ever the hospital staff could find room for them. If a COVID outbreak flared up in the norther Lower Peninsula or in the UP, it would have brought the health care systems there to a full stop.

We were told a decade ago not to transport firewood from southern Michigan to the northern parts because of the Emerald Ash Borer infestation, which would have decimated the northern woods. But it's OK with the MAGA faction to have a bunch of Metro Detroiters bring COVID to the people up north?
Covid spread everywhere quickly, regardless of restrictions. I bought the containment fantasy for a couple months too, then realized it was a fantasy. I'm surprised to run into someone who still thinks it was reality.

Honestly, if the hospitals in Metro Detroit were that slammed, it might have saved lives if the governor had let people spread out and relocate to vacation homes WHICH THEY OWN and ride the wave out in places where the hospitals had more capacity.

I know, you'll tell me I'm wrong because I don't know Northern Michigan and the hospitals there are really small, blah blah blah. I just don't think the Whitmers and Cuomos of the world even considered factors like this. Instead, they had their playbook, and we saw how that turned out.

Old 10-28-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I know, you'll tell me I'm wrong because I don't know Northern Michigan and the hospitals there are really small
I'm telling you exactly that.

The people up north didn't want people coming up there from down south...for that exact reason.

The hospitals in Metro Detroit has thousands of beds. The hospitals up north have fifty or less beds. It's not like the healthcare systems are building lots and lots of hospitals in low population density areas.

Seriously, how hard is this to understand? When there's a pandemic and no one's exactly certain how it's spread, maybe people in the infected areas shouldn't be travelling to the non-infected areas?

Sort of like how the world should have walled off China at the very beginning - instead, we had people flying from China to Europe and then to the United States, with no quarantines being observed at any step.

Old 10-28-2022, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I'm telling you exactly that.

The people up north didn't want people coming up there from down south...for that exact reason.

The hospitals in Metro Detroit has thousands of beds. The hospitals up north have fifty or less beds. It's not like the healthcare systems are building lots and lots of hospitals in low population density areas.

Seriously, how hard is this to understand? When there's a pandemic and no one's exactly certain how it's spread, maybe people in the infected areas shouldn't be travelling to the non-infected areas?

Sort of like how the world should have walled off China at the very beginning - instead, we had people flying from China to Europe and then to the United States, with no quarantines being observed at any step.
You said the hospitals in Metro Detroit were slammed, taking patients into the hallways. Presumably the hospitals in the north had space, since they didn't have Covid, or whatever.

You do understand my point, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections