Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 02:42 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
You said the hospitals in Metro Detroit were slammed, taking patients into the hallways. Presumably the hospitals in the north had space, since they didn't have Covid, or whatever.

You do understand my point, right?
I get that you're trying to make a point.

However, I dispute that the extra hospital beds up north would somehow alleviate Metro Detroit's shortage. At the time, Detroit's need dwarfed any beds available up north. Plus, hospital beds taken by COVID patients equals beds not available for other patients. It wasn't just COVID people being stacked up, it was also people in emergent care situations. And these two groups need to be kept separate from each other.

Your point also doesn't address that it's a bad idea for people to flee from infected areas into non-infected areas. Quarantines, when enforced, are an effective tool in fighting pandemics - or are you arguing otherwise?

Back in the fall of 2021, my father had to be checked into the hospital for what turned out to be congestive heart failure. We would literally wait days in the ER, across the room from COVID patients. There were no beds available - the only way to get a bed was when someone was discharged or someone died. When they finally found a bed for my father, and he was diagnosed properly, the hospital staff kept pushing for him to be moved out of his room to a hospice center to free up his bed (nasty situation, some siblings were in denial of our father's diagnosis).

I've lived through a COVID overflow situation in a hospital, when people had more knowledge about the disease. Because of that, I take issue with people who didn't have to deal directly with it and tend to downplay it, especially for the time when there was a great deal that was not known about COVID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 03:24 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I get that you're trying to make a point.

However, I dispute that the extra hospital beds up north would somehow alleviate Metro Detroit's shortage. At the time, Detroit's need dwarfed any beds available up north. Plus, hospital beds taken by COVID patients equals beds not available for other patients. It wasn't just COVID people being stacked up, it was also people in emergent care situations. And these two groups need to be kept separate from each other.

Your point also doesn't address that it's a bad idea for people to flee from infected areas into non-infected areas. Quarantines, when enforced, are an effective tool in fighting pandemics - or are you arguing otherwise?

Back in the fall of 2021, my father had to be checked into the hospital for what turned out to be congestive heart failure. We would literally wait days in the ER, across the room from COVID patients. There were no beds available - the only way to get a bed was when someone was discharged or someone died. When they finally found a bed for my father, and he was diagnosed properly, the hospital staff kept pushing for him to be moved out of his room to a hospice center to free up his bed (nasty situation, some siblings were in denial of our father's diagnosis).

I've lived through a COVID overflow situation in a hospital, when people had more knowledge about the disease. Because of that, I take issue with people who didn't have to deal directly with it and tend to downplay it, especially for the time when there was a great deal that was not known about COVID.
There was no such thing as a "non-infected area." That was part of a fairy tale. For some reason, you're speaking in terms of theory, when we have actual history as to what happened. No matter what restrictions were put in place, Covid spread to every corner of the map.

In hindsight, those people with vacation homes not only weren't going to create any problem by hiding out there that wouldn't have happened anyway -- I think a reasonable case can be made that they might have been safer there.

Old 10-28-2022, 05:29 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
There was no such thing as a "non-infected area." That was part of a fairy tale. For some reason, you're speaking in terms of theory, when we have actual history as to what happened. No matter what restrictions were put in place, Covid spread to every corner of the map.
Yes, COVID eventually spread to every corner. But not right away. That was one of the friction points in Michigan during Spring 2020 - why did people in Alpena, where the COVID was low or non-existent at the time, need to follow quarantine rules needed in Detroit?

Quote:
In hindsight, those people with vacation homes not only weren't going to create any problem by hiding out there that wouldn't have happened anyway -- I think a reasonable case can be made that they might have been safer there.
The assumption in the above statement is that those people with vacation homes wouldn't have brought COVID with them, or if they did then they wouldn't need to go to the hospital.

I also wonder about the vacation home people actually staying in their homes...they would still need to venture out to get food and such. Did rural areas have food delivery services back then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections