Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 01:47 PM

17,642 posts, read 6,914,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Michigan is on pace to set a record for absentee voting in a gubernatorial election, with some of the biggest surges in coming in traditionally Republican counties.

In the past week, clerks reported receiving nearly 340,000 ballots, up from 278,000 the previous week. That’s nearly 325,000 more than were received at this point in 2018, before voters approved no-reason absentee voting.
Quote:
Perhaps concerning for Democrats like Gov. Gretchen Whitmer is the relatively small growth in absentee balloting in Detroit, by far the state’s largest city, where Democrats typically get 90 percent or more of the vote.
Link: https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-go...slower-detroit

Good news.

There's an interesting interactive map of Michigan at the link if you scroll down. It tells you exactly how much turnout is up so far, by county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2022, 02:16 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,540,182 times
Why would anyone in their right head vote for Whitmer? She's easily one of the worst governors in the country.

It would be like voting to put yourself into prison. No thanks.

Old 10-27-2022, 04:12 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
The lower increase could hurt in Detroit, however there were some other Dem heavy areas which have seen higher absentee increase as well. Washtenaw County which is the most Democratic County in the state (Ann Arbor) has a sharp increase in absentee ballots

Old 10-28-2022, 06:05 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,419,986 times
Yes, thanks for the link to the article.

A few things to note - in 2018 there wasn't such a thing as non-excuse absentee ballot voting, so I would expect that the number of absentee ballots cast between 2018 and 2022 would jump.

In 2018, Michigan voters approved no-excuse absentee ballot voting and because of this, the impact of absentee ballots didn't manifest until the 2020 election. During that election, Democratic voters were much more likely to vote via absentee ballot that Republican voters. IMO, if you're looking for the large jump in absentee ballots for Democratic-leaning counties, you would find it in 2020. The Republican-leaning counties showing large jumps in absentee ballots are simply catching up.

I point out that the Republican-leaning counties almost always tend to be a magnitude smaller in votes than Democratic-leaning counties. Big jumps by smaller counties won't counteract smaller jumps by larger counties - there's just not enough smaller counties to make up the difference.

Detroit is a concern for Democratic candidates running at the state level. In 2020, Detroit went 94% for Joe Biden (about 241,000 votes for Biden). Nearly 70% of those votes (about 166,000) were absentee ballots. Right now, Detroit voters have returned about 35,000 absentee ballots. If no more absentee ballots are received from Detroit voters, then the Democratic candidates for Governor, Attorney General, and Secretary of State are in big trouble. But there's two week left for absentee ballots, plus the election day ballots cast in person. My guess is that there's eventually going to be more than 35,000 votes cast by Detroit voters (it was 256,000 votes cast in 2020, and 191,000 votes cast in 2018).

Old 10-28-2022, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Why would anyone in their right head vote for Whitmer? She's easily one of the worst governors in the country.

Yeah, I keep on hearing how I was living in prison in Michigan during COVID. I wouldn't have known it if it wasn't for City-Data posters constantly telling me so.

Old 10-28-2022, 06:35 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

Tudor is bat**** crazy, that's why. A reasonable GOP candidate would give me pause, but my state didn't see fit to take that option.

Do you live in MI? I do, I don't remember being "in prison", well...... ever.

Old 10-28-2022, 07:22 AM

17,642 posts, read 6,914,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Tudor is bat**** crazy, that's why. A reasonable GOP candidate would give me pause, but my state didn't see fit to take that option.

Yeah, it's Tudor Dixon who is crazy.

Not the lady who kept schools closed for two years (and then lied about it to your face), forbade boating, wouldn't let you buy certain things at Walmart, and violated all of her own mandates.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Yeah, it's Tudor Dixon who is crazy.
The Michigan GOP candidates for governor, Tudor Nixon, is a former small-time actress who was in one horror movies and TV show. She tried and failed in several sales positions at her father's steel company. She launched a failed website that tried to sell educational supplies to home-schoolers. She's currently a political commentator on a weekly show that's served up via a small streaming service. She got the nomination because the two "more qualified" Republican candidates ahead of her botched their voter signature petitions submitted to the state. She's on record as saying that a theoretical 13 year old girl who was impregnated when she was raped by her uncle should be forced to carry the pregnancy to term.[/quote]

Quote:
Not the lady who kept schools closed for two years (and then lied about it to your face)
That was a decision made by local school districts, not by the Governor.

Quote:
forbade boating
Banned power boating. Because there weren't enough police and other officials to patrol the waters.

It was to prevent vast numbers of idiots, flush with government cash, furloughed from their jobs, who would have bought a few cases of beers, gone out with their idiot friends on their boats, gotten drunk off their asses, and gone bombing around places like Lake St Clair.

Quote:
wouldn't let you buy certain things at Walmart
Limiting the things that could be purchased at places like Home Depot and Lowes, so as to keep the number of people at said stores down to a manageable level. You need to fix your toilet, but you don't need to plant daisies in your garden.

Quote:
and violated all of her own mandates.
Actually....TRUE...somewhat.

Her husband did try to get his boat launched at the marina where it was stored. When he was refused, he joked about whether his being the governor's husband would change their minds.

She did tell people not to travel, and then went to Florida to visit her father.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:19 AM

6,035 posts, read 2,849,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

Um, preventing Michiganders from purchasing tomato seeds is bat**** crazy, too!

And, telling people not to go boating, while her husband goes boating...

And, telling people to not leave their house, while she went on vacation in Florida...

Did Governor Whitmer ever fix the roads, like she promised to do?

I know nothing about Ms. Dixon, but to not call out Governor Whitmer for being bat**** crazy is wrong. Call them both out, and vote based on the issues...

Old 10-28-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Um, preventing Michiganders from purchasing tomato seeds is bat**** crazy, too!
No, it's not. For reasons already explained.

Quote:
And, telling people not to go boating, while her husband goes boating...
He didn't go boating, as already explained.

Quote:
And, telling people to not leave their house, while she went on vacation in Florida...
True, that.

Quote:
Did Governor Whitmer ever fix the roads, like she promised to do?
You are possibly unaware that the state legislature has been in the full control of the Republican Party for the past decade or so, thanks to aggressive gerrymandering. The last thing that a GOP dominated legislature wants to do is give funding to a Democratic governor to fulfill a campaign promise.

The better question to ask is why a Republican-dominated state government failed to fix the roads for nearly a decade?

Quote:
I know nothing about Ms. Dixon, but to not call out Governor Whitmer for being bat**** crazy is wrong. Call them both out, and vote based on the issues...
You know about Tudor Dixon - I told you about her in another thread, and you responded that she didn't sound like a good candidate for governor.

Governor Whitmer isn't bat**** crazy, but it certainly feeds the MAGA false narrative, now doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections