Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 06:47 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,650,291 times

Advertisements

Normie, you echo the sentiments I feel - there are a lot of ways this thing could turn, but there will be more effects (even slight), than non-effects. What, remains to be seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 08:33 AM

31,702 posts, read 41,178,320 times
Will McCain have to convince voters that his truth is different then that of George W? Especially on topics like Iraq.

McClellan: WH wanted him to stay silent - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080529/pl_politico/10681 - broken link)

He added: “I have a higher loyalty than my loyalty necessary to my past work. That's a loyalty to the truth."

Old 05-29-2008, 08:51 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,872,326 times
walidm wrote;
Quote:
McCain has clearly shown what he believes to be an Iraq policy that is getting results and good news has been coming out of Iraq recently
The problem he has is that the "good results" and "good news" have been getting touted by the Rs since about a week after the statue fell. I know that if you repeat a lie often enough people will believe it, but when you keep repeating it after people KNOW it's a lie, they stop believing it, or YOU.

golfgod

Old 05-29-2008, 09:01 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
walidm wrote;

The problem he has is that the "good results" and "good news" have been getting touted by the Rs since about a week after the statue fell. I know that if you repeat a lie often enough people will believe it, but when you keep repeating it after people KNOW it's a lie, they stop believing it, or YOU.

golfgod
A positive. Simply the truth.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:36 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,210,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
How so? Senator McCain has clearly shown what he believes to be an Iraq policy that is getting results and good news has been coming out of Iraq recently. How does this news sink him if he can prove the current Iraqi surge is working?
McCain has also said that our reasons for going no longer matter. They do, but not in the election. They do as long as Bush is President. They won't matter as long as McCain can show distance from Bush on the war. He's done that many times by attacking the strategies Bush employed from the start. He's been a vocal critic on the ways we were fighting.

As for the repetition by the GOP, no one really believes that things are peachy. The Sunnis still don't want to sit down with the Shiites. There's no working government. Iraq wants its aid bills nullified. And we're still destroying our economy fighting this war. Those are the things the DNC needs to be attacking McCain over. If McClellan lied to us for a few years behind the podium, why should we believe him now?

Old 05-29-2008, 09:38 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,040,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
If McClellan lied to us for a few years behind the podium, why should we believe him now?
I agree. Even though I believe the claims, I don't respect him. He's trying to sell a book.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:10 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,210,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I agree. Even though I believe the claims, I don't respect him. He's trying to sell a book.
If he had stood behind the podium and made these claims, they'd hold more weight. He's untrustworthy. Who knows when he was lying? I don't trust him to tell me the sky is blue.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:29 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,745,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Scott McClellan’s book details and gives premise to the notion that the US citizens were targets of a propaganda campaign to influence support of the War.

How will this affect McCain's support of the War going forward as he attempts to distance himself from the Presidents policies?
What does "a propaganda campaign" mean? I haven't read the book (and don't intend to) but does anyone know whether in this so-called propadanda campaign anything was said either to Congress or to the American people that was not true or believed to be true at the time?

Old 05-29-2008, 02:46 PM

31,702 posts, read 41,178,320 times
McCain has been outed will he come out of the closet now and kiss in public?
Bloomberg.com: Opinion

Politicians hide the truth even from themselves. Like a child who covers his eyes and thinks you can't see him, McCain believes he can have President George W. Bush raise funds for him and that no one will notice if he does it really quietly behind closed doors.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:11 PM

38,856 posts, read 25,667,015 times
Default McCain's GOP and the McClellan Revelations

The book won't have a major effect on McCain. He's already aligned himself with Bush. McClellan's book doesn't present any new revelations. All of the things discussed so far have been common knowledge for years now. McCain will lose because he says he'll continue the Bush agenda. By now, even subnormal Americans are well aware of the Bush scandals. Besides, the economy may well be in free fall by November. If it is, it will be even worse for Republicans at all levels; federal, state, and local.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections