Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 12:49 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,466,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Also from the article:

So, I'm assuming, these white women don't plan to sit home and not vote. They are going to vote for McCain!
Great! I guess women don't mind then if their right to choose gets taken away from them if McCain is President. I would think long and hard about your decision "my friends" (McCain loves those words). Is it worth the sour grapes? Below is a little piece of what you might have to give up because of those sour grapes and this is only ONE example. There will be more the lefties will not like with these "conservative" appointed judges.

McCain, the presumptive GOP nominee, promised to appoint judges in the mold of Roberts and Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito, saying they would interpret the law strictly to curb the scope of their rulings. While McCain didn't mention abortion, Christian conservatives understand that such nominees would be likely to limit or perhaps overturn the Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 01:22 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,178,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
Great! I guess women don't mind then if their right to choose gets taken away from them if McCain is President. I would think long and hard about your decision "my friends" (McCain loves those words). Is it worth the sour grapes? Below is a little piece of what you might have to give up because of those sour grapes and this is only ONE example. There will be more the lefties will not like with these "conservative" appointed judges.

McCain, the presumptive GOP nominee, promised to appoint judges in the mold of Roberts and Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito, saying they would interpret the law strictly to curb the scope of their rulings. While McCain didn't mention abortion, Christian conservatives understand that such nominees would be likely to limit or perhaps overturn the Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion.
This is an OLD argument. The time to do something about it WAS BEFORE DUBYA APPOINTED CONSERVATIVE Judges. Now, the new members on the court are conservative so it's 4 to 3 anyway.

Feel free to come back with this argument in 30 years when Roberts starts getting old and feeble.

Also, Supreme Court Judges can't be confirmed without the Senate and House confirming them -- so how about asking those Democrats in the senate to do their jobs? If they don't want Conservatives judges -- keep them out!!

Old 05-31-2008, 01:23 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,178,951 times
jojo7,

One more thing you might think about: The people who care about Roe v. Wade are backing Clinton. If abortion rights mean something to you, then you need to back Clinton too.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:28 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,018,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post

Oh, not that old, tired crap again. We've had this discussion on other threads.

First off, you assume that all women are rabid about abortion rights. Wanna know the REAL choice? Being discerning and responsible about your sexuality so you don't NEED to make that sort of decision in the first place. And, before some lamebrain hauls off on me insisting that I think rape and incest victims should be forced to bear children, I don't. That's a whole different subject.

Secondly, this argument is trotted out time and time again by the Dems to keep women "in line." "Oh, my, you CAN'T consider a Republican candidate cuz he'll overturn Roe v. Wade!!!! This next president can appoint a whole bunch of SC justices!" Yeah, right. Fools who believe that pathetic rhetoric do so without understanding how the SC actually works and without regarding the past 30+ years. Are women that gullible and lemming-like that they will still fall for the Dem. tactics? Apparently some are!

Old 05-31-2008, 03:18 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,041,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
I am sick of the way women have been treated just because we are
Clinton supporters, we have been called stupid, old, uneducated, afraid of change.
Follow the votes. If it acts like a duck and quacks like a duck...
W.V.? Kentucky? I hear the banjo's pickin'. Squeal like a pig, it fits.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:03 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,779,480 times
Quote:
I sure hope Obama doesn't need white women to win the election. (Unfortunately, 60% of the Democratic party is women.)

White women cold toward Obama - David Paul Kuhn - Politico.com

According to a new report by The Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, half of white women now have a negative perception of Obama.

Forty-nine percent of white women view Obama unfavorably, while only 43 percent hold a favorable opinion. In February, 36 percent of these women viewed Obama unfavorably, while 56 percent had a positive perception of the likely Democratic nominee.
Wow! We are really going to have to work hard to get this group of voters for Obama. Without them we will lose, no question about it. We can get by with 30% of the white male vote but we cannot win without white women. We need at least 65% here to win. I think Obama needs to seriously choose a white woman as VP- but not necessarily "that" white woman. Kathleen Sebilus of Kansas would be a good choice. Or he could promise that his Supreme Court appointments will be women since many of them are concerned about the right to choose. Either way we have our work cut out for us.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
this movement is growing and I am hope it gets bigger.
Obama is not the one I will vote for, and no, I will not vote for McCain either.
He should have thought he might need our vote back when he said
he was SURE he would get Hillary's supporters, but was not sure she would get his.
Also when asked if she would vote for Hillary, Michelle Obama said "She would have to think about it"
Everyone was fine with those statements.
I am sick of the way women have been treated just because we are
Clinton supporters, we have been called racist, stupid, old, uneducated, afraid of change.
I am tried of the politics Obama has inflicted.
I am sick of the way the Dems have acted, I am sick of the media and their bias
I am not voting anymore for someone I do not believe in like I did when I voted for Al Gore and John Kerry.
It will be interesting how this plays out.
You have to vote for one or the other.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:15 AM

Quote:
This is an OLD argument. The time to do something about it WAS BEFORE DUBYA APPOINTED CONSERVATIVE Judges. Now, the new members on the court are conservative so it's 4 to 3 anyway.

Feel free to come back with this argument in 30 years when Roberts starts getting old and feeble.

Also, Supreme Court Judges can't be confirmed without the Senate and House confirming them -- so how about asking those Democrats in the senate to do their jobs? If they don't want Conservatives judges -- keep them out!!
Not really. Only 3 of the Court's judges are so far to the right that you know how they will vote on every case. So you have to ask yourself if you want 2 more Clarence Thomas' on that court. While I generally think courts should be fairly conservative in their decison making, I do not want a bunch of right wing loonies up there that refuse to listen to arguments, refuse to ask questions and already have their minds made up before a case is even argued. And I don't want the left doing it either. As for Roe v Wade, I think it was a horrible decison. Yes, I DO support the right of women to have an abortion 100%. But that is not in the Constitution of the United States nor is there anything about a "right to privacy" in that document. Those decisions should be left to the legislative branch.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:44 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,963,025 times
Quote:
I sure hope Obama doesn't need white women to win the election. (Unfortunately, 60% of the Democratic party is women.)

White women cold toward Obama - David Paul Kuhn - Politico.com

According to a new report by The Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, half of white women now have a negative perception of Obama.

Forty-nine percent of white women view Obama unfavorably, while only 43 percent hold a favorable opinion. In February, 36 percent of these women viewed Obama unfavorably, while 56 percent had a positive perception of the likely Democratic nominee.
Sounds like you have the seeds for a strong independent party. Could be the election has yet another historic moment on the horizon. If Hillary doesn't wish to be the candidate, who would be an alternate choice?

Old 05-31-2008, 07:53 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,094,659 times
Funny, I'm a white women in her late 30's, and generally hang out and work with a lot of other white women ranging in age from late 20's to almost 60 years old, and I haven't seen the attitude that expressed here among any of them, even amongst those who voted for Hillary in the primary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections