Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 07:11 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Ah, so it was good timing on his part, and bad Democrat opponents.

DeSantis is just not a good candidate. And a horrible governor, at least from the perspective of being everyone in the state's governor, which he is absolutely not.

Had another engaging, smart Republican ran who was charming, they would've beaten DeSantis to get the FL gov nod, most likely.
There actually was that Republican in the form of Adam Putnam who was the Florida Agriculture Commissioner. Coming into the election he was actually considered to be the favorite to win the primary and the general election. Then Trump stepped in and went full bore for DeSantis and that was the end of that; DeSantis won the primary handily.

Old 07-26-2023, 07:15 PM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
DeSantis cannot be elected as a potus, IMO.

As others have noted, he doesn't have good people (voter, public) communication skills.

He goes in to the "culture war" issues in a strange manner.

His TV add (I loathe TV ads but millions watch them) was very strange, creepy, odd.

He's not potus material.

I think someone else will emerge.

Keep an eye out for Younkin.

Old 07-26-2023, 07:37 PM

13,238 posts, read 7,286,273 times
DeSantis will stay in the primary hoping that Trump is taken out by the criminal trials he has coming up. If Trump is convicted in late summer of 2024. The GOP will replace him with the runner up which will be DeSantis. He has zero chance of winning the Whitehouse because all he knows is extreme politics that won't work in PA, MI, MN. GOP has to win those state even if they win GA with the voter challenging going on there.

Old 07-28-2023, 05:54 PM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
DeSantis will stay in the primary hoping that Trump is taken out by the criminal trials he has coming up. If Trump is convicted in late summer of 2024. The GOP will replace him with the runner up which will be DeSantis. He has zero chance of winning the Whitehouse because all he knows is extreme politics that won't work in PA, MI, MN. GOP has to win those state even if they win GA with the voter challenging going on there.
By late summer of 2024 I think DeSantis will just be a memory. If Trump is eliminated, there would be someone else to take his place but it wouldn't be DeSantis.

Old 07-28-2023, 06:12 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Jeb Bush, Republican governor of Florida, flamed out in May 2016 in his bid for the Republican nomination.

Ron DeSantis appears to be going through rough sledding already, and it's about ten months earlier than Jeb's crash and burn.

Is there something about the Florida governorship that makes a Republican unelectable as POTUS?

Old 07-28-2023, 06:33 PM
JRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Jeb Bush, Republican governor of Florida, flamed out in May 2016 in his bid for the Republican nomination.

Ron DeSantis appears to be going through rough sledding already, and it's about ten months earlier than Jeb's crash and burn.

Is there something about the Florida governorship that makes a Republican unelectable as POTUS?
I think that part of Jeb's problem was Bush fatigue; lots of people just flat out did not want another Bush president after having had two. And Trump was something new and shiny and loud which drew peoples attention, kind of like World Wide Wrestling and Jeb was just the opposite.

I voted for Jeb twice for Florida governor and would have been quite content with him as President but 2016 did not favor his type of politics at all (or those of John Kasich who was my first choice).

Just my opinion, but I think DeSantis got a bit carried away with success in Florida and couldn't figure out that the anti-woke agenda was not a real good foundation for a national campaign.

Old 07-28-2023, 07:20 PM

6,011 posts, read 2,832,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I think that part of Jeb's problem was Bush fatigue; lots of people just flat out did not want another Bush president after having had two. And Trump was something new and shiny and loud which drew peoples attention, kind of like World Wide Wrestling and Jeb was just the opposite.

I voted for Jeb twice for Florida governor and would have been quite content with him as President but 2016 did not favor his type of politics at all (or those of John Kasich who was my first choice).

Just my opinion, but I think DeSantis got a bit carried away with success in Florida and couldn't figure out that the anti-woke agenda was not a real good foundation for a national campaign.
Not necessarily that, but that it shouldn't be his only foundation for a national campaign? What's he going to do about our national debt? What's he going to do about illegal immigration? I don't know. He really hasn't focused on those things.

The "woke" stuff has some importance, but voters need to hear about other things of substance. A campaign that's solely based on anti-wokeness will send him right back to Tallahassee. There are many ways to differentiate himself from Former President Trump, and he really hasn't done that, either.

Old 07-31-2023, 02:57 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
The Guardian has an interesting view of the DeSantis campaign, so here are some of the best excerpts.

"Weak, small and reckless: how Ron DeSantis, Republican Napoleon, met his Waterloo"

"DeSantis has revealed the next phase of his plan to win the Republican presidential nomination by firing 30% of his campaign staff. He has also dismissed a staffer, Nate Hochman, a prominent conservative writer, for creating a video that features a notorious Nazi symbol."

"After his campaign declared he was entering his “insurgent” stage as “the underdog”, DeSantis disappeared on a donor-provided private jet, his usual mode of travel. Several billionaire donors, however, previously enamored of DeSantis’s “electability”, gave notice that they are jumping overboard without the lifeboat of another candidate. Rupert Murdoch withdrew his mandate of heaven, not so privately dubbing DeSantis a “loser”. Two DeSantis fundraisers in the exclusive Hamptons were scrapped for lack of interest and a third was poorly attended."

"DeSantis capped his reset with a historic declaration, making him the first presidential candidate since before the civil war explicitly to defend the supposed benefits of slavery."

I've been a registered Republican since Nixon; I can't believe we've come to this.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-31-2023, 06:09 PM

7,635 posts, read 8,699,793 times
Didn't cut his security staff, actually is recruiting more:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/65626748-post75.html

Old 07-31-2023, 07:20 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Didn't cut his security staff, actually is recruiting more:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/65626748-post75.html
His traveling security staff is paid for by Florida taxpayers. They are hired to protect the governor. They travel everywhere with him and Florida taxpayers cover all of their expenses as well as their salary, even when he's campaigning in Iowa and NH or flying to CA for a campaign fundraiser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections