Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 03:48 PM

50,980 posts, read 36,683,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I would vehemently disagree; they have a vested interest. Plus, Dems MAKE SURE they get to the polls.

We're hearing from one right here who was terrified Cameron would "take away his coverage." He voted.
I didn’t just offer an opinion to agree or disagree with, I gave you links with voter turnout numbers for one of the poorest cities in NJ, so clearly they are not getting to the polls. I invite you to look up voter turnout in poor cities in your state, I’d wager they’re very similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2023, 03:52 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,099,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I would vehemently disagree; they have a vested interest. Plus, Dems MAKE SURE they get to the polls.

We're hearing from one right here who was terrified Cameron would "take away his coverage." He voted.
Have you ever had to live without healthcare? I have, for over a decade, before the ACA was passed and I was able to buy in. It's terrifying. Fear of losing one's health coverage is a valid reason to vote for someone.

Old 11-09-2023, 06:49 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,665,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Excuse me? I need to read your posts and respond according to you? Thanks for the laugh. Next time I will ask for your approval to post.
No SanJuan - that’s not what I’m saying. What I am saying is the point you made in response to my post as a rebuttal to it was exactly what I said several times earlier in the thread.

Old 11-09-2023, 11:25 PM

61 posts, read 76,052 times
A number of Kentuckians have been complaining on social media that the most recent Kentucky governor election was "obviously" stolen from them again. If they are using compromised voting machines, and haven't replaced them with paper ballots and surveillance of the counting work and voting rolls, that is quite possible.
During the 2020 elections, five counties in Tennessee were marked by compromised machines, (Dominion Voting machines) that were misprogrammed and dropping some votes and adding extras of others. Upon the investigation, the election officials told Dominion technicians to fix the problem, however they only fixed it for those machines in the five affected counties, no further investigation was done into whether the same problem was happening in the other state jurisdictions also and no one insisted that the problem fix be applied to voting machine programming being used in other counties in the state--an obvious oversight by someone in charge of state elections who should have been doing their due diligence statewide.

Old 11-10-2023, 05:26 AM

17,357 posts, read 11,329,812 times
Oh and I forgot to add that Beshear always gives the impression of being a good person, a family man with young children, a lovely wife, and deep Kentucky roots. He is very likable, soft spoken and easy to look at.
Beshear represents KY well whenever he's on national TV, good looking, intelligent, caring and young. He's an excellent cheer leader for the state.

As far as pushing KY to the left, he's almost powerless with a republican held legislature and a republican attorney general. When he vetoes legislation like he did banning underage trans procedures, the state legislature has no problem at all overriding him and passing laws without his consent.

Last edited by marino760; 11-10-2023 at 06:03 AM..

Old 11-10-2023, 07:57 AM

37,963 posts, read 17,913,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I think the whole country will be blue within 10 years. You won't see a red spot left on the map
Both the House and Senate are 80% Republican

Old 11-10-2023, 08:01 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,202,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Oh and I forgot to add that Beshear always gives the impression of being a good person, a family man with young children, a lovely wife, and deep Kentucky roots. He is very likable, soft spoken and easy to look at.
Beshear represents KY well whenever he's on national TV, good looking, intelligent, caring and young. He's an excellent cheer leader for the state.

As far as pushing KY to the left, he's almost powerless with a republican held legislature and a republican attorney general. When he vetoes legislation like he did banning underage trans procedures, the state legislature has no problem at all overriding him and passing laws without his consent.
This is a very accurate summation. Notice how we Kentuckians in this thread keep essentially saying the exact same thing - the election was legitimate and the outcome turned out how we expected it, whether it was what we personally wanted or not.

By the way, Kentucky has voter ID, paper back-up ballots, drop boxes only located in places and during hours where there is human oversight (most being in the County Clerk’s office) and cameras, three days of early voting (including a Saturday), and requires an equal number of poll officers from both parties per precinct. These rules were established by a bi-partisan commission with equal distribution of members, created and overseen by the highest ranking elected official in the state from both parties. By law they automatically review the procedures during the summer, between the primary and general election. I’m more than comfortable with the accessibility and integrity of Kentucky elections.

Old 11-10-2023, 10:01 AM

30,693 posts, read 18,319,995 times
No, Kentucky hasn't gone blue. As I've mentioned previously, the notion of Kentucky being an all GOP state for generations is a lie. Kentucky has only had 2 Republican governors since 1972. Particularly for this position, Kentucky voters are open to electing Democrats (why? beats me, but that's the reality). But the residents being open to electing Democrats for statewide office has in most recent years been limited to the office of governor. Every other statewide office (to include statewide officials elected this week) are Republicans.

But while I was pulling for Cameron, this result really shouldn't surprise anyone. The Dem governor had a 60% approval rating heading into election day. He's well liked by most in the state and, thus, was favored for reelection (one poll with leaners included showing Cameron with a one point lead but still shy of an outright majority doesn't change that). He led in the polls consistently throughout this election.

Old 11-10-2023, 10:03 AM

22,214 posts, read 19,509,661 times
Appears Democrats had a strong turnout advantage

Quote:
Turnout percentage in the 2023 Gubernatorial election (relative to the 2020 Presidential election) has a clear positive correlation with partisanship, as more Democratic counties turned out at much higher rates than Republican counties. This continues the theme of Democrats winning off-cycle elections in the Trump era, fueled primarily by their gains with high-education voters in the post-Trump era. Fayette (Lexington) and Jefferson (Louisville), the two leading Democratic vote population bases in Kentucky, turned out at especially robust rates, placing 7th and 12th out of the state’s 120 counties. DDHQ estimates that 79% of Biden voters in 2020 turned out to vote, while only 53% of Trump voters voted in the 2023 Kentucky Governor election. Beshear’s ability to win over Trump voters has captured a lot of press, but many of them just sat this race out. This turnout gulf helped propel Beshear to victory, something he could not have achieved with persuasion alone. Without this substantial turnout advantage, Beshear would have lost handily.
https://decisiondeskhq.com/how-democ...-red-kentucky/

Old 11-10-2023, 10:30 AM

30,693 posts, read 18,319,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Appears Democrats had a strong turnout advantage

https://decisiondeskhq.com/how-democ...-red-kentucky/
While Democrat voters may have been energized about this race, I think this analysis is flawed. Indeed, there were other statewide elections on the ballot on Tuesday in Kentucky, to include attorney general and secretary of state. Yet, Republicans won those races (to include the AG race which had no benefit of incumbency) in landslides. And it's not like the other races had significantly fewer votes cast than the gubernatorial election did.

I think it's more appropriate to say that Beshear won reelection because enough Republican-leaning voters crossed party lines to vote Democrat in the gubernatorial election, despite not doing the same for other statewide elections. For context, the gubernatorial election was decided by ~65k votes, while the AG election was decided by more than 200k votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections