Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:13 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,540,188 times

Advertisements

As you can see, about 80% of the posters here are sheep for one party or another. Now, those posts can be fun as posters hurl insults back & forth, lie back & forth... but after a while it really does get old.

However, for posters serious about reasoning & debating is there a possibility we could a sub board similar to the election & illegal alien one for the main politcs area. All sheep and posters there just to insult can be immediately & permanently black balled and those who chose to debate real issues wioth reason & intellect can stay.

If need be, I'd be happy to act as mod. I've done that before on a large sports board some years ago.

Thanks for any possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 08:17 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,223 times
I would like to see that also. It seems like a bunch of kids on here.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:19 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,595,280 times
Point the way....~you know this topic is improper, I'm betting it gets deleted as proper etiquette per TOS is to contact the Mods directly

Old 06-12-2008, 08:20 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Actually it will get moved into the proper sub-forum (I believe these should be posted under "other")

Old 06-12-2008, 08:24 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,540,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Point the way....~you know this topic is improper, I'm betting it gets deleted as proper etiquette per TOS is to contact the Mods directly

Is it really improper?

Oh well, so much for independent thought.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:30 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,595,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Is it really improper?

Oh well, so much for independent thought.
I don't know definitively.....I've seen 'em cut topics before and leave an erie message in their wake - contact the Mod directly-.....who knows....

Old 06-12-2008, 08:34 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
Actually, I kind of agree with this idea. I had a few things I've surfaced in threads on the Elections Forum that I would hope evolve into more serious discussions, and then watched as they go off into childish name calling.

On the Main P&OC Forum we've had some great serious thread discussions, and they actually are pretty interesting. I know I've learned a lot about legitimate interesting perspectives from those discussions, so I can see value in having set aside legitimate discussion threads.

I know one thread idea I've wanted to bring up to both of the more extreme and sincere sentiments on this forum, the Obama and the Paul supporters, is how they would approach various policy issues to get the majority of public sentiment for their side. I just can't figure out how to do it and avoid all of the Nobama/Hillbillary/McSame/TwoFirstName junk from taking over what could be a fairly cerebral discussion for both sides of the issue.

I think a separate forum itself would be improper, what about a few separate "sticky threads" with specific topics for serious participation only? In those threads, the posters could report the childish stuff to the mods and we could delete it.

The problems I can foresee is that dumb postings probably could only be deleted, since they wouldn't really be committing posting violations with childish comments (but could they be cited for hijacking?).

How would this concept work out for those interested in more serious discussions? If we do this at all it would need to be limited to only a few threads at a time, otherwise it would start to crowd out the banter oriented discussions.

Just a thought, if you guys want to kick it around a bit (pros and cons).

Old 06-12-2008, 08:40 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
The question would become, if there were such a forum and it was moderated by Blazer Phopet, how fair Blazer Prophet would be. Would it become just a gathering place for Republicans like the Sean Hannity show? Or would it be honestly open to real debate? I ask this because real debate is rancorous debate sometimes. So, while I might like the idea, it is my belief that such a forum should have 3 moderators- one who is a Republican, one who is a Democrat and one who is middle of the road. And perhaps Blazer Prophet could serve as one of them. The rules should then state that, while any of the 3 moderators may delete offensive postings and give warnings, that 2 of the 3 would have to agree to suspend any member from posting and all 3 would have to agree to permanently ban any member from posting.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:49 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,436,420 times
For example, how can one discuss Barack Obama's association with his friend William Ayers without using the words "radical", "Marxist", "terrorist"?

I understand that some people might see that as an insult (I certainly would, as I don't associate with radical Marxist terrorists) or using loaded language, but it is factually correct and therefore should be part of a 'cerebral discussion', in the context of relevant examples of judgment.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:52 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,091,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
How can one discuss Barack Obama's association with his friend William Ayers without using the words "radical", "Marxist", "terrorist"?
Ah, I see what the OP means already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections