Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 01:02 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,236,754 times

Advertisements

For those tired of reading much of the partisan junk posted in discussions, here is an objective analysis done by the New York Times comparing Bush to McCain on multiple issues. I found the article pretty interesting, for those of you who actually care about these issues.

Comparing Bush and McCain - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/17/us...NPafVzFzBRdjMg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 01:06 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,752,437 times
Wow.. they are right when they say he will be bush's third term.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:29 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,068,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Depends on where you as an individual stands on each of the issues. He may be with you 90% of the time.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:54 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,981,416 times
Quote:
here is an objective analysis done by the New York Times
'Objective' and 'NYT'; wouldn't that be characterized as an oxymoron?

Old 06-19-2008, 07:53 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,955,129 times
Thanks for the link. I found it very interesting that one of the main areas where I tend to side with the conservative way of thinking is regarding immigration policy and this is the one area that both McCain & Bush seem to be more like democrats.

I also think this article puts a lot of holes in the "John McCain the Maverick" idea

Old 06-19-2008, 07:55 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,965,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
For those tired of reading much of the partisan junk posted in discussions, here is an objective analysis done by the New York Times comparing Bush to McCain on multiple issues. I found the article pretty interesting, for those of you who actually care about these issues.

Comparing Bush and McCain - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/17/us...NPafVzFzBRdjMg
Great topic-thanks for posting this. I'm headed out the door on vacation, but will read the links and join in the discussion when I get back.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:59 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,965,593 times
Very interesting article. I don't have much time to do more than scan it, but I encourage anyone who's interested in the issues to check it out.

One thing that's kind of funny: At the time this article was written McCain is still promoting himself as an "environmentally concerned" candidate. It will be interesting to see if this continues as the whole drilling off Florida topic proceeds. But, it doesn't matter--high gas prices will trump environmental concerns this election. In fact, most other issues will too (unless there's some sort of major oil spill, which I think is doubtful).

On a personal note, we're travelling for the rest of the summer. So, I may or may not be able to check in with city-data (depends on things like getting internet access and if I'm stuck in a hotel on a rainy day with nothing to do). It's been fun guys. I hope to see a few of you at the convention in Denver, and may make a point of reporting live from there.

Cheerio, and try not to kill each other. Don't take things you read online too seriously, and most of all, don't forget to vote! Remember, all the heated arguments in the world don't mean a thing if you don't actually get up from your computer and cast a ballot.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:26 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Great topic-thanks for posting this. I'm headed out the door on vacation, but will read the links and join in the discussion when I get back.
HOLD THE PRESSES!!..

You have money to go on vacation? I thought all of america was broke, poor, loosing their homes due to banking fraud and credit card bait/switching, and high gas prices?

Old 06-20-2008, 07:28 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Using your argument, I'm sure Obama could be called Bush's third term. Bush signed the medicare pescription bill which was the first step into national health care and they both want to spend the economy into the hole..

Old 06-20-2008, 09:21 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,830,664 times
You know you've lost the intellectual argument when not only can't you tout your own candidate's platform, but you must find someone who isn't even running to compare against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections