Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 12:34 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,162,407 times

Advertisements

When asked about Osama bin Laden, Obama had this to say:
Quote:
"I think what would be important would be for us to deal with him in a way that allows the entire world to understand the murderous acts that he's engaged in and not to make him into a martyr," he added. "And to assure that the United States government is abiding by basic conventions that would strengthen our hand in the broader battle against terrorism."
So what would he suggest?

Quote:
"It does not make sense for me to speculate in terms of what the best approach would be in trying him and bringing him to justice," Obama said.
Change.

ABC News: Obama: U.S. Should Avoid Making Bin Laden a Martyr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 01:14 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
As you know you turned your two quotes around in backwards order.

He didnt suggest anything - why do you imply otherwise?

"I think what would be important would be for us to deal with him in a way that allows the entire world to understand the murderous acts that he's engaged in and not to make him into a martyr,"

He also said "I dont know that we will take him alive." He has also said we MUST find him and bring him to justice, unlike others who have said "I dont really think about him all that much anymore."

Nice to see someone who thinks these things through with his uppermost thought being that the United States be perceived as making just and righteous decisions.

He's right about the martyr question. I know the fun knee-jerk reaction to capturing and punishing Bin Laden is tear him limb from limb on American Idol, but in real life our decision as to his fate would be, will be, a supreme example of our justice that we make to the world.

You dont agree?

Old 06-19-2008, 01:16 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
Obama on Osama:

Quote:
"I refuse to be lectured on national security by people who are responsible for the most disastrous set of foreign policy decisions in the recent history of the United States. The other side likes to use 9/11 as a political bludgeon. Well, let’s talk about 9/11.

The people who were responsible for murdering 3,000 Americans on 9/11 have not been brought to justice."

They are Osama bin Laden, al Qaeda and their sponsors – the Taliban. They were in Afghanistan. And yet George Bush and John McCain decided in 2002 that we should take our eye off of Afghanistan so that we could invade and occupy a country that had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11. The case for war in Iraq was so thin that George Bush and John McCain had to hype the threat of Saddam Hussein, and make false promises that we’d be greeted as liberators. They misled the American people, and took us into a misguided war.

Here are the results of their policy. Osama bin Laden and his top leadership – the people who murdered 3000 Americans – have a safe-haven in northwest Pakistan, where they operate with such freedom of action that they can still put out hate-filled audiotapes to the outside world. That’s the result of the Bush-McCain approach to the war on terrorism," - Barack Obama, yesterday

Old 06-19-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
As you know you turned your two quotes around in backwards order.

He didnt suggest anything - why do you imply otherwise?

"I think what would be important would be for us to deal with him in a way that allows the entire world to understand the murderous acts that he's engaged in and not to make him into a martyr,"

He also said "I dont know that we will take him alive."

Nice to see someone who thinks these things through with his uppermost thought being that the United States be perceived as making just and righteous decisions.

He's right about the martyr question. I know the fun knee-jerk reaction to capturing and punishing Bin Laden is tear him limb from limb on American Idol, but in real life our decision as to his fate would be, will be, a supreme example we make to the world.

You dont agree?
Of course I turned the quotes around. I'm surprised anyone actually read the article.

Still, Obama has no ideas how to deal with Osama. He just doesn't want to make him a martyr. Well I think everyone can agree with that. Nice limb he's going out on here.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Obama on Osama:
What would justice be?

Quote:
"It does not make sense for me to speculate in terms of what the best approach would be in trying him and bringing him to justice," Obama said.
Thanks for clearing that up Obama.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:18 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,665,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Still, Obama has no ideas how to deal with Osama.
And Bush has had how many years now to catch him?

Old 06-19-2008, 01:21 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Of course I turned the quotes around. I'm surprised anyone actually read the article.
That remains a reliable assumption, Karl, but it doesnt yet work on everyone.

Dont turn teh quotes around anymore k k

The people who dont read seize on it and refuse to let go, because the only way to point them to making a reasoned decision is to ask them to read further.

Quote:
Still, Obama has no ideas how to deal with Osama. He just doesn't want to make him a martyr. Well I think everyone can agree with that. Nice limb he's going out on here.
He's not going out on a limb and saying some irresponsible wild-eyed knee-jerk thing to gain points in some BS poll.

He's being thoughtful and considering of the results, being honest. That's bad?

It's different, I agree.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:28 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
Full quote.

Quote:
BO: You know, first of all, I think there is an executive order out on Osama bin Laden's head, and if I'm president and we had the opportunity to capture him, we may not be able to capture him alive. I think it does not make sense for me to speculate in terms of what the best approach would be in trying him and bringing him to justice. I think what would be important would be for us to do it in a way that allows the entire world to understand the murderous acts that he's engaged in and not to make him into a martyr and to sure that the United States government is abiding by the basic conventions that would strengthen our hand in the broader battle against terrorism. You know I've used this analogy before but one of the hallmarks, one of the high water points, I think, of US foreign policy, was the Nuremburg Trials. Because the world had not seen before victors behave in ways that advanced a set of universal principles. And that set a tone for post-war reconstruction and creation of an international order that I think was extraordinarily important. Yeah.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
And Bush has had how many years now to catch him?
Bush didn't want to capture him. Now he does to secure his legacy. What does that have to do with Obama?

Old 06-19-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Full quote.
LOL.

He doesn't want to speculate, then continues to do so. That's awesome.

I do agree with him there though. Making OBL a martyr would be just as bad as leaving him free and not bringing justice against all the terrorist attacks he's been a part of. Hopefully, Obama will realize that it is our interventionist foreign policy that allowed OBL to find a voice that resonated with people who didn't want us on their holy lands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections