Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:03 PM

956 posts, read 1,234,913 times

Advertisements

Prim, because of the way you responded to my post it's difficult for me to respond, but I'll try by scrolling.

You and I simply don't agree because I'm Conservative leaning toward Moderate and you're Liberal with perhaps a slight bow toward Conservative. I can tell you're reasonable and an informed person.

I'm not sure why you brought up the local Fox stations because I wasn't referring to that at all. I was speaking only about Fox News and I stand by my judgment that their news shows are definitely balanced with a slightly (and I do mean slightly) conservative slant in their non-news programming. Neil Cavuto, for instance, is definitely Conservative. Bill O'Reilly is most definitely NOT conservative.

Talk radio is definitely Conservative (except for Randi Rhodes in our area ... I listen to her to get the Liberal slant from time to time). So we have no argument there.

Hannity and Colmes is balanced by definition. Both sides always represented. Colmes, however, is a lame Liberal so that may not be a fair fight. Greta is a Democrat and I rarely watch her. She doesn't seem to cover politics and is more of a news magazine getting into a lot of legal matters. Shepherd Smith is decidedly Left leaning.

No, I wasn't being sarcastic at all. Knowledge is power. Many people post here without any knowledge whatsoever so their words have no power. They simply name call, use slanderous language and move on to the next ... totally unproductive. So I was simply stating for the record that I would never judge a network I hadn't watched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 11:33 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,082 times
Thanks for your comments McMolly. We will agree to disagree.

By the way, I have many similar views with conservatives on issues like taxes, school vouchers, prayer in school, enforcing our immigration laws, supporting capital punishment, privatization of ss within limits, to name a few. I also support many liberal concepts like NO to the Iraq war, revising our current trade agreements (NAFTA, et.), universal health care, pro choice, to name a few. Just because I support Obama over McCain does not mean I'm Liberal. I would say I'm very much a moderate.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
Thanks for your comments McMolly. We will agree to disagree.

By the way, I have many similar views with conservatives on issues like taxes, school vouchers, prayer in school, enforcing our immigration laws, supporting capital punishment, privatization of ss within limits, to name a few. I also support many liberal concepts like NO to the Iraq war, revising our current trade agreements (NAFTA, et.), universal health care, pro choice, to name a few. Just because I support Obama over McCain does not mean I'm Liberal. I would say I'm very much a moderate.
Prim, we're not so far apart on the issues after all ... which just goes to show that if people stop a minute and "listen" instead of simply mouthing off as some do here, we often find that we really all want much the same thing; we just have a different approach.

The concern I have on a couple of your points is that Obama is not going to deliver ... not sure where he honestly stands on NAFTA, doubt he'll be successful with Universal Health Care (just a campaign talking point which I don't support anyway) and he's already reversing his commitment to getting us out of Iraq post haste (thank God as this would be a disastrous move IMO).

I think we're all in agreement we don't like the war, but whether we agree or disagree whether we should be there, we are. So it's just a question of how and at what speed we disengage. Some withdrawal methods will prove catastrophic.

I'll be very interested as we go forward over the next four months to see how both candidates perform. I cannot support Obama under any circumstances because along with many other concerns I just don't think he's prepared enough for the Presidency, but if by chance he is elected I will want him to succeed for all of us.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:13 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
I'll be very interested as we go forward over the next four months to see how both candidates perform. I cannot support Obama under any circumstances because along with many other concerns I just don't think he's prepared enough for the Presidency, but if by chance he is elected I will want him to succeed for all of us.
I applaud your positive attitude. Most posters go into some type of "AND I'LL SAY I TOLD YOU SO, AND HE WILL RUIN US ALL, AND THE COUNTRY WILL COLLAPSE AND BE ATTACKED BY SECRET MUSLIMS". Your attitude is what we need to make this country work. +1 to you.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:22 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Prim, we're not so far apart on the issues after all ... which just goes to show that if people stop a minute and "listen" instead of simply mouthing off as some do here, we often find that we really all want much the same thing; we just have a different approach..
Exactly
Quote:
The concern I have on a couple of your points is that Obama is not going to deliver ... not sure where he honestly stands on NAFTA, doubt he'll be successful with Universal Health Care (just a campaign talking point which I don't support anyway) and he's already reversing his commitment to getting us out of Iraq post haste (thank God as this would be a disastrous move IMO)..
I have those concerns too about both candidates, I think who they choose to be their VP is going to be the decision maker for most people who are still undecided, which makes me worry for Obama because thus far he has not been very selective about who he associates with politically.
Quote:
That's the best way to look at it, no matter who the next president is.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
To me the whole thing boils down to one question: What are you going to do about (insert issue here). Mr. Obama has not really described what he'll do about anything to this point other than "hope,change etc". I'm not concerned about what his name implies nor am I concerned that he's young or black (he is black right?). What I am concerned about is who he was willing to consort with to get to where he is as it goes to morals and right/wrong and what EXACTLY he plans to do about our economy,immigration and Iraq. Universal health care is a feel good talking point that will never come to pass, at least not in this election cycle so I would hope that people won't be misled by it. As for V.P., it doesn't really matter, just look at how much input Gore had in the Clinton admin. What I am concerned about is who is going to be in the cabinet posts. If it's Gore then we've got a problem.

I'm no big fan of McCain, I would be more happy with him if he'd pull back towards the middle from the left. Also, I don't care what he may or may not have said to his wife, this is gossip pure and simple and who here has not said many things we probably shouldn't have in anger? I also don't hang much on his temper. I don't care that he has a temper, maybe it's about time we had someone in their that had an honest to goodness temper and was not afraid to show it to some of the governments we deal with instead of the meek and mild they've seen for years.

The biggest thing which I don't get from either one is being able to believe that they'll do what they say they'll do or, they just don't say.
I just don't get any confidence that either one has our best interests in mind, they both seem driven by special interests and PAC's.
I'd be happier if we had one canidate who was for cutting back on foriegn aid and helping us first in other words quit paying people that hate us, shrinking government, dealing with oil for the near term and having an actual plan for Iraq and Afganistan.
I'd also be happier if they'd both debate in a town hall format with no moderators. I want to hear what comes out of a non scripted/non directed honest debate where they have to think fast and may actually say what they think instead of what's the popular thing to say.
Until such a time as we hear EXACTLY what each one has planned how can anyone support either one? On faith? Not me that's for sure!

Old 06-24-2008, 08:18 AM

218 posts, read 437,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Fox news has a history of going after obama unfairly. They run the story about him attending a madrassa, a lady suggested that Obama should be killed along with osama, called Obama and his wife's fist bump a terrorist fist jab, they called michelle baby mama, and now this racist comment? Give me any other "liberal" news outlet that has gone after McCain the same way Fox has gone over obama.

Rubbish.

Bernard Goldberg's book about left wing bias has a few great examples (the first being the silly way that the network news portrayed Steve Forbes's plans).

Fox is a joke - not because it's biased (they ALL are), but because it's the news equivalent of Hostess snacks.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:20 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
To me the whole thing boils down to one question: What are you going to do about (insert issue here). Mr. Obama has not really described what he'll do about anything to this point other than "hope,change etc".
I see people say this a lot about Obama, but he actually has a detailed "Issues" page on his website, along with a blueprint document on how he plans to implement his plans.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:39 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I see people say this a lot about Obama, but he actually has a detailed "Issues" page on his website, along with a blueprint document on how he plans to implement his plans.
Why is it all of a sudden when you comment on a canidates lack of a platform the first thing you get is "go to my web page and read xxx"? I don't want to go to some web site, I want to SEE and HEAR him say it. I'm sorry, you get no feeling from the person by reading some staffer prepared list you get it by watching people talk back and forth about their ideas.

Until such a time as Mr. Obama submits to an in depth interview that asks tough questions (not the do you think it's racist,sexist etc) not the garbage softballs he's been asked so far and has a REAL debate I will stand by my assertions that he's said nothing so far other than fluff and puff feel good stuff...

Old 06-24-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Until such a time as Mr. Obama submits to an in depth interview that asks tough questions (not the do you think it's racist,sexist etc) not the garbage softballs he's been asked so far and has a REAL debate I will stand by my assertions that he's said nothing so far other than fluff and puff feel good stuff...
Exactly. But as long as he chooses such venues as Oprah, Tyra Banks, Ellen and The View, we're not going to get any of the tough questions answered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections