Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:53 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,323,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Nothing. They're not the ones setting the prices. I don't DRIVE, but that doesn't stop the fact that the oil companies set the prices, not the government.

T. You are always so thoughtful. I appreciate your insights so often. May I, however, suggest that it is neither the government nor the oil companies that set prices? It is the consumer who sets prices. I assure you that if we could wave a magic wand and completely stop using oil tomorrow, the value would be zero and the oil companies with their huge investments would be screaming just like Ford and GM are now.

Oligopolistic (great competition between few suppliers) economics hurt far more than true free market economies such as restaurants because they a big ships in a sea trying to turn around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 10:01 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,260,513 times
Plus I forgot to mention, depending on who you talk to there are very different accounts of how much oil there is in Alaska.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:14 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,186,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the stuff in Alaska hasn't been dug up and pumped yet. It would take years for it to have an effect...
Wrong, the price is set for oil often over a year in advance by speculators who buy/sell oil years down the road. Soon as we begin to pump supply into the supplyline, then the price of the futures go down because its based upon supply/demand IN THE FUTURE...

Old 06-25-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wrong, the price is set for oil often over a year in advance by speculators who buy/sell oil years down the road. Soon as we begin to pump supply into the supplyline, then the price of the futures go down because its based upon supply/demand IN THE FUTURE...
Yes correct, speculations are a year or two ahead, but again nothing has been pumped in Alaska (a process that takes years) and there isn't a solid consensus on how much oil there is there. To guarantee that it will have a dramatic effect on the price is disingenuous.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:48 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
It is demand that sets the price and the problems in the world where it comes from. The governamnt has cost us nothing except ofr there policy that prevents supplies by not driling in certain places for years. Electrical increases are from not keep nucklear 25 yeras ago.We have speculators in evry market where there is materials goods. It is part of teh supply systems unless the governamnt wants to guarantee prices.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Yes correct, speculations are a year or two ahead, but again nothing has been pumped in Alaska (a process that takes years) and there isn't a solid consensus on how much oil there is there. To guarantee that it will have a dramatic effect on the price is disingenuous.
I dont think anyone is concerned with a "dramatic" effect, some are concerned with limiting the reliability on foreign oil, some want any relief. Since when do we need a "Guarantee" on anything? I dont recall ONE oil company that operates on guarantees when drilling for new oil, its not how its done, but I'd rather had people drilling who have taken educated guesses that there is oil there, then in my backyard, where I can almost guarantee there wont be any.

Funny how everyone agrees that limiting demand lowers the price of oil, but those on the left claim that supply has absolutely no affect upon price... odd.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont think anyone is concerned with a "dramatic" effect, some are concerned with limiting the reliability on foreign oil, some want any relief. Since when do we need a "Guarantee" on anything? I dont recall ONE oil company that operates on guarantees when drilling for new oil, its not how its done, but I'd rather had people drilling who have taken educated guesses that there is oil there, then in my backyard, where I can almost guarantee there wont be any.

Funny how everyone agrees that limiting demand lowers the price of oil, but those on the left claim that supply has absolutely no affect upon price... odd.
Yes but many Republicans (not all but a good amount) are selling more drilling as some sort of miracle cure to the current crisis, and that is disingenuous.

We can also decrease our dependency on foreign oil in a variety of ways...

Old 06-25-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Yes but many Republicans (not all but a good amount) are selling more drilling as some sort of miracle cure to the current crisis, and that is disingenuous.

We can also decrease our dependency on foreign oil in a variety of ways...
We should have been drilling 10 YEARS ago, but yes.. beginning to drill NOW will lower the price of gasoline because prices are based upon the futures market, the FUTURE SUPPLY on oil..

Old 06-25-2008, 11:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,841,952 times
The Democrats have not cost you a dime. The oil business is a Republican playground. After all the Saudi's own the Bush family not the other way around.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The Democrats have not cost you a dime. The oil business is a Republican playground. After all the Saudi's own the Bush family not the other way around.
Again, do you have a source for this hogwash? GregW has lost credibility with me and I'd like to see some more credible link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections