Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:49 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I guess I just have a difficult time with the whole supply/demand thing in regards to gas/oil. Exactly how does increasing the supply change demand? I kinda thought the demand was what drove the supply, not the other way around. We use what we use... the demand is pretty static. I guess you think that as long as we are not buying as much from the Middle East the prices will drop like a rock. I am of the belief that the price will stay relative regardless of who or where we get our oil. Simply because there is money to be made. Big big money.
Do you really think that if we were pulling oil out of Alaska NWR right now it would be a whole lot cheaper that the world market? Really?
How does increasing supply, change demand? It doesnt, no one is stating that it does.

Lets try this again.
If your going to argue that decreasing demand will lower the price of fuel, then why doesnt increasing supply also have the same affect? It does, and I'm trying to understand why those on the left dont understand that. They will sit here all day long and scream about lowering demand (which would work) but claim that increasing supply has no affect.

Anyone who knows anything about supply/demand understands that if decreasing demand lowers prices (which everyone agrees that it will) also understands that increasing supply has the same reaction.

yes, demand does control the supply if truly allowed to but are we allowing demand to control the supply by not allowing the supply to be available?

I dont care who pumps out more, Middle East or at home, anyone pumping out more will decrease the price, just like anyone not using it will also decrease the price. I just prefer to have it drilled here so that the money stays in our own country, generates jobs, and limiting the need to boat millions of barrels around the world reducing any accidental spillage.

Do people understand that most oil leaks have been caused by boats? If we drilled it here there wouldnt be any environmental hazards like Valdez because they push it through a pipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 08:51 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,040,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
How does increasing supply, change demand? It doesnt, no one is stating that it does...........
If your going to argue that decreasing demand will lower the price of fuel, then why doesnt increasing supply also have the same affect? It does,
I guess we will just have different opinions on this subject.
I do not think the availability has driven the prices up. Nor has demand. I think greed has. I am pretty sure there are some really really rich people sitting around a table somewhere asking each other "Just how far can we push this?" Since this gas crunch has really hit home we have actually lowered our consumption by a tad, yet price per barrel is still going up. How does holding more oil in barrels (instead of leaving it in the ground) change the price? Please do not get me wrong... I know how supply and demand economics works, (and I am not trying to be a jerk), but I just do not think oil follows the same economic pattern. If it did, the price per barrel would have dropped by $10-$20/barrel. Today it is nearing a record high... after many people have made a large effort to reduce their consumption. That, my friend, does not follow supply/demand patterns.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:58 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Quote:
If it did, the price per barrel would have dropped by $10-$20/barrel. Today it is nearing a record high... after many people have made a large effort to reduce their consumption. That, my friend, does not follow supply/demand patterns.
Can you put a number on "large effort to reduce"?

It seems you are only taking into account the US - it is the increased demand from countries like China and India that is putting a strain on "supply" as well.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:10 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,762,395 times
Or if we simply regulated speculators and quit bolstering them with fed injections to economy, the price of oil could drop to about ~$60 a barrel; $2.00 a gallon.

Gas could fall to $2 if Congress acts, analysts say
Limiting speculation would push prices to fundamental level, lawmakers told

Old 06-27-2008, 09:11 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Let's do it then. Why haven't the dems in congress done just that - or tried something, anything?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:13 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,762,395 times
Just as a cliff note; not that the Republicans are any different. The dems would pretend to regulate, and not do it. The Republicans would not even pretend; they simply won't do it. So I guess I'm not seeing your point.

As I've stated previously, I'd rather pay all this extra gas price in tax that betters public transportation, R&D, and otherwise in my community. As it stands, we're just lining the pockets of rich people. I take it by the title, you'd prefer to make the rich richer. Fair enough.

Last edited by tekka-maki; 06-27-2008 at 09:31 AM..

Old 06-27-2008, 12:04 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,605,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Let's do it then. Why haven't the dems in congress done just that - or tried something, anything?
They haven't?

Old 06-27-2008, 07:54 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
We have in office for the past 7 years, the worst man to reside in the oval office in history. George Bush is the most ignorant, most undignified, most unqualified, most ill-informed, ill-bred, badly-conditioned man to reside in that office in the history of this country. He LIED to plunge this nation into a war, sinking hundreds of BILLIONS into the failed effort. The result? An economy that stinks from neglect. Gas prices through the roof. Housing in a free-fall. Many towns are starting to look like little Kabuls because of outsourcing. Americans displaced and shunned. Nature disaster unpreparedness. Illegal immigrants coming in like water. Street gangs are running neighborhoods and towns, freely killing innocent people because of insufficient police forces. The man through his exceptionally inept policies abroad and neglect on the domestic front has created an environment for FAILURE. This is what we're living through.

Anyone who blames this on the Democrats is about as credible as a runaway slave in the deep South when the slave ships landed.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
We have in office for the past 7 years, the worst man to reside in the oval office in history. George Bush is the most ignorant, most undignified, most unqualified, most ill-informed, ill-bred, badly-conditioned man to reside in that office in the history of this country. He LIED to plunge this nation into a war, sinking hundreds of BILLIONS into the failed effort. The result? An economy that stinks from neglect. Gas prices through the roof. Housing in a free-fall. Many towns are starting to look like little Kabuls because of outsourcing. Americans displaced and shunned. Nature disaster unpreparedness. Illegal immigrants coming in like water. Street gangs are running neighborhoods and towns, freely killing innocent people because of insufficient police forces. The man through his exceptionally inept policies abroad and neglect on the domestic front has created an environment for FAILURE. This is what we're living through.

Anyone who blames this on the Democrats is about as credible as a runaway slave in the deep South when the slave ships landed.
Ooh look, another feelings posting, that turns into a racial issue. Surprise, surprise..

Old 06-27-2008, 08:05 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,004,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I guess I just have a difficult time with the whole supply/demand thing in regards to gas/oil. Exactly how does increasing the supply change demand? I kinda thought the demand was what drove the supply, not the other way around. We use what we use... the demand is pretty static. I guess you think that as long as we are not buying as much from the Middle East the prices will drop like a rock. I am of the belief that the price will stay relative regardless of who or where we get our oil. Simply because there is money to be made. Big big money.
Do you really think that if we were pulling oil out of Alaska NWR right now it would be a whole lot cheaper that the world market? Really?
It is the supply demand curve. Its all about a ratio it is simply economics. Read a book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections