Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 10:03 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,594,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Well, your a real estate agent, so I guess that must make you an expert on drilling for oil.

p.s. you dont negotiate the renewal of a leases when your dealing with federal government contracts on oil. They are all 10 year terms, non-renewable because after 10 years they go back up for BID.. Its an AUCTION process, you dont just call and negotiate the leases that you want.

So the longer the wait to drill, the less time they have to drill and recoup their investments.

I know all about LOI's for developers having been involved in several developments. Oil companies are not developers, and the auction and bidding process for obtaining rights to drill on land owned by the federal government isnt anything even close to the negotations of a lease from one private party to another. Comparing the two shows a lack of knowledge in the process.
Thank you for the education. I just called an oil expert to confirm. You are correct.

Last edited by walidm; 06-28-2008 at 11:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 12:02 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Now...why do we sell our production to other countries, instead of keeping it for our own use?

Another question, why doesn't the government open up the fuel RESERVE to get the supply up and knock some pennies off the price of gas? Or even better...stop charging TAX on gas altogether?

Old 06-29-2008, 08:45 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Now...why do we sell our production to other countries, instead of keeping it for our own use?

Another question, why doesn't the government open up the fuel RESERVE to get the supply up and knock some pennies off the price of gas? Or even better...stop charging TAX on gas altogether?
We dont sell our products to other countries, we allow them to come in and take it, right off our own shorelines.

The governments fuel reserves is to protect us from OPEC deciding not to send us fuel. Its an emergency reserve that shouldnt be used simply because the cost is expensive. Using it would be a temporary breather, but maybe we should use some of it for 5 years until new oil wells come online.

You cant stop charging taxes on gasoline because you need it for road constructions and repairs.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:18 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
We dont sell our products to other countries, we allow them to come in and take it, right off our own shorelines.

The governments fuel reserves is to protect us from OPEC deciding not to send us fuel. Its an emergency reserve that shouldnt be used simply because the cost is expensive. Using it would be a temporary breather, but maybe we should use some of it for 5 years until new oil wells come online.

You cant stop charging taxes on gasoline because you need it for road constructions and repairs.
There's a job that has job security! When are they NOT working on the roads?

Old 06-30-2008, 02:25 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
And where exactly would a light-rail (if thats what you're referring to) go in SA? The city is waaaay too spread out for a light-rail system to work.

Face it, SA, like a lot of other major cities in the Southwest were built around the automobile. Implementing ain't gonna happen.
That's a silly argument. Chicago, and it's suburbs as one example are a great deal more spread out than San Antonio, and Commuters extend into a different state even, in excess of 50 miles. The El goes travels further than what would be needed in SA as well... it'll happen when gas gets abundantly excessive, just like other place in the world where it already has (i.e. Europe).

In addition, many cities that have successful light rail (san diego, denver, salt lake city) have roughly the same level of density as San Antonio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
You are so right! I am much better off since Bush took office. Perhaps that is because I did not rely on my government to take care of me. Most people that make these kind of statements are people too ignorant to make it without the government's help. I am fine, I can do without my government giving me a handout.

It is just another sign of the downfall of our society, the lack of personal responsibility, and the victim mentality. Pretty sad if you ask me.
But you do depend on Bush to take care of you, what the crap do you think he's been doing for the last 8 years (supposedly that is).

I could not agree more on limiting Gov't assistance. Now let's put our $ where our mouth is and extend this philosophy to purging this country of a very excessive and huge military which absorbs our Fed Income Tax. Then, get rid of clandestine security forces, and bureaucratic big Gov't protection (e.g. Patriot Act). It's not like we have enemies on our borders. Next, let's regulate the Executive branch so it doesn't over step its boundaries (as was originally intended with 3 branches of Gov't). A good start would be repealing the latest 'Directive 51' which gives Bush total Gov't control in a crisis. After all, are all these Exec. orders really necessary (more than all previous Presidents inc. senior combined)? If you think so then you fall into the victim (of terrorism) mentality. Banks and Financial corps in the U.S. certainly have the victim mentality. And what do our Gov't do but bail them out, repeatedly. Pretty sad if you ask me too...

I think folks like you are too hasty in pissing in their own cornflakes but are uncomfortable in pissing in the Government's [corn flakes]. Seems paradoxical to me.

Last edited by tekka-maki; 06-30-2008 at 03:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections