Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 05:19 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,094,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
name calling after a fight does not work for me. when someone is trying to harm you, all and any means of defense are appropriate. when we send our soldiers and police officers to jail we seem to be forgetting this. when you smear mccain you smear all of us that have served.
happy 4th of july.
You might recall the name calling during the fight and the demonstrations against the war both here and abroad. Support for the service men but not the governments prosecution of warfare. I remember well the National Guardsman making peace signs from government office buildings. Good men doing their job exercising their right of dissent to those who understood.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:39 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,622,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
name calling after a fight does not work for me. when someone is trying to harm you, all and any means of defense are appropriate. when we send our soldiers and police officers to jail we seem to be forgetting this. when you smear mccain you smear all of us that have served.
happy 4th of july.
Since when is questioning a candidates background as it is relevant to how he will make future wartime decisions name calling? I think you forget the American people have always supported the troops, and held the folks in charge to fire. This isn't 'Nam or anything remotely close to that atmosphere.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:59 PM

994 posts, read 1,546,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
"Sanctity of life" would suggest a pro-life viewpoint. McCain has it. Obama doesn't.

YouTube - Obama Says A Baby Is A Punishment
Since when is naplaming a baby 'sanctity of life'? Pro-life? HAHAHA!

Old 07-01-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeet View Post
Since when is naplaming a baby 'sanctity of life'? Pro-life? HAHAHA!
It is the interesting the many discussions on war and the military since Senator McCain began to tout his fitness for the presidency based on his military experience. It has provoked good discussion about our foreign policy and whether it should be based on our military led by and experienced combatant or on diplomacy led by a statesman.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
More than most "progressives" on this blog TuborgP is an exponent of moral relativism when it comes to this country. There is no brutality or barbarity employed by other countries or entities that, in his mind, is unmatched by the U.S. Listen, the U.S. isn't perfect but we don't go out of our way to brutalize people, even in time of war. Only someone who has never served in the military, particularly in time of war, could compare our war-making to that of our enemies. Let me give an example from my personal experience in Vietnam. The Viet Cong would hide among the villagers, using them as human shields. When an operation was launched to dislodge them from a particular area we would leaflet the area telling the villagers to evacuate to areas controlled by the ARVN. That warned the enemy we were coming. We lost the element of surprise--a huge tactical advantage in war. But we did that to minimize civilian casualties. Undoubtedly some of our fighting men lost their lives because of this practice. Does that mean there were no atrocities committed by our troops in Vietnam? My Lai answers that question. But the difference is that My Lai was not government or military policy and the perpetrators were put on trial. Contrary to what TuborgP would have us believe, the U. S. is better than most countries in the world.
Imagine that you are out in the fields working on your crops, when a Vietnamese bomber, from a country 2,000 miles away, drops napalm on your wife and children, and you watch them slowly burn to death because the white phosphorous won't rub off. If you are that man, what would you do to the pilot of the bomber if you caught him? You say - 'we don't go out of our way to brutalize people, even in time of war', tell it to that man.
By the way, Bush authorized the use of white phosphorous and cluster bombs on Iraqi citizens - things haven't changed much have they?

Old 07-02-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I don't believe "Yes Eisenhower once said to become president one must be a lunatic or an egomaniac" - where is your evidence? He DID strongly warn against the 'military-industrial complex' though. Perhaps you have him mixed up with someone else - maybe Regan.
You still haven't provided a link. Do you expect me to accept it as fact, just because YOU said it?

Old 07-02-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Imagine that you are out in the fields working on your crops, when a Vietnamese bomber, from a country 2,000 miles away, drops napalm on your wife and children, and you watch them slowly burn to death because the white phosphorous won't rub off. If you are that man, what would you do to the pilot of the bomber if you caught him? You say - 'we don't go out of our way to brutalize people, even in time of war', tell it to that man.
By the way, Bush authorized the use of white phosphorous and cluster bombs on Iraqi citizens - things haven't changed much have they?
Are we sure that any of the bombs McCain dropped actually hit anything?

Old 07-02-2008, 09:47 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,440,275 times
This is a very valid question. I'm surprised that, like "not voting for the Iraq War," Barack Obama hasn't made "I didn't drop bombs on women and children in Vietnam" a part of his "I have good judgment" campaign platform.

Some other good things Obama never did that shows his good judment include not incarcerating Jews during WW2, not supporting the Spanish Inquisition, and not riding with Ghengis Khan during his conquests across Eurasia.

Rainbow sprinkles and cupcakes for everyone! Obama 08!

Old 07-02-2008, 05:44 PM

Former Vietnam Captor Says He’d Vote for McCain - America’s Election HQ

Tran Trong Duyet, who was in charge of the so-called “Hanoi Hilton” where McCain was imprisoned for more than five years after his plane was shot down in 1967, told the British Broadcasting Corporation that he now considers McCain his “friend” and that if he had the chance he would vote for him for president

Duyet said that while McCain was imprisoned the two used to argue over the war, but he now wants to “leave the past behind.”

Old 07-03-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Are we sure that any of the bombs McCain dropped actually hit anything?
Well he admits that he is a 'war criminal' and that he killed innocent civillians, so whether he fried them or blew them to bits, is kind of a moot point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.