Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 08:47 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,699,708 times

Advertisements

Laden is hiding like the coward he is in some dirty cave. Bush, McCain or Obama wont take out al Qaeda the way we should. And none will end war as they talk. Obama will likley win, but that guy wont get my vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
That would be wonderful. What I don't understand is how Bush dares to leave the White House without capturing bin Laden. In-fact Bush's approval rating would improve immensely if he would get bin Laden. I would sing praise to President Bush if he took out al Qaeda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 08:48 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,486,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
I understand your argument, but you must not work around defense if you think that any service program could even come close to matching what we spend annually in defense appropriations.

Even with tens of thousands of Americorps members volunteering under an Obama administration we could not approach military-sized expenditures. Remember, the Department of Defense is not just uniformed personnel, think about the huge civilian and contractor workforce supporting our soldiers as well.

Even 33% of that est. would be equal to the Iraq/Afghan war.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
And that is why I am voting Obama. I have had enough of Republicans spending our money like drunken sailors.

In an analysis of how the candidates' tax proposals would affect federal revenues, the Brookings Institution and the Urban Institute said McCain's plans would cut receipts by $3.72 trillion from 2009-2018 compared with current tax law. Obama's plans would cut revenues by $2.73 trillion over the same period.

Including added interest costs, McCain's plan would add $4.5 trillion to the national debt, while Obama's would add $3.3 trillion -- and that's before spending proposals are considered.

McCain, Obama tax plans to boost U.S. debt: tax group | Politics | Reuters

The Tax Policy Center estimates that over 10 years, McCain's tax proposals could increase the national debt by as much as $4.5 trillion with interest, while Obama's could add as much as $3.3 trillion.

How McCain and Obama will change your tax bill - Jun. 11, 2008
Well if all that's correct I'm movin to the seed vault they made.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:02 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,496,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
And that is why I am voting Obama. I have had enough of Republicans spending our money like drunken sailors.

In an analysis of how the candidates' tax proposals would affect federal revenues, the Brookings Institution and the Urban Institute said McCain's plans would cut receipts by $3.72 trillion from 2009-2018 compared with current tax law. Obama's plans would cut revenues by $2.73 trillion over the same period.

Including added interest costs, McCain's plan would add $4.5 trillion to the national debt, while Obama's would add $3.3 trillion -- and that's before spending proposals are considered.

McCain, Obama tax plans to boost U.S. debt: tax group | Politics | Reuters

The Tax Policy Center estimates that over 10 years, McCain's tax proposals could increase the national debt by as much as $4.5 trillion with interest, while Obama's could add as much as $3.3 trillion.

How McCain and Obama will change your tax bill - Jun. 11, 2008
You should post that as a separate thread. Those are two major and influential think tanks publishing that information. That's not good for McCain's own admitted ignorance of economics. How can you possibly justify that?

Old 07-22-2008, 09:04 PM

262 posts, read 486,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Laden is hiding like the coward he is in some dirty cave.
bin Laden is waiting for his check to clear before he says "Okay, let's go, Mr. President."

Old 07-22-2008, 09:26 PM

taken at face value those look in BO favor.

The first paragraph says:

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Tax breaks proposed by both presidential hopefuls John McCain and Barack Obama would increase the U.S. national debt by trillions of dollars over 10 years, but Obama's plan would hike taxes for the wealthiest Americans, a tax policy group said on Wednesday."

Wealthiest usually infers $200,000 and up. The same people that create the majority of the jobs in America. Big business employees a lot but no where near small business standards. Raising the taxes on a already hurting small business owner that just had his minimum wage increase will put many many SB's out of commission....That's a cost that isn't projected in these guesstimates.

Also at best it's no where near accurate once you add Obama's social services programs.

"The group sought to quantify revenue costs for the tax break proposals articulated on the campaign trail but assumed flat spending for each candidate based on this year's budget."

We know Obama isn't staying flat on spending he's made that clear.

"Obama, meanwhile, would retain portions of the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts that benefit low- and middle-income Americans, while allowing rates to ratchet back up for the wealthiest taxpayers. He is also proposing new tax credits for lower income workers and a home mortgage tax credit for taxpayers who do not itemize deductions."

The people making the most already pay more taxes...matter of fact they pay the majority of taxes. This is a punishment for being successful and will drive many to say ********* and hide their incomes.

"In addition to making the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts permanent, McCain says he would double the exemption for dependents, lower the corporate tax rate, make expensing rules more generous for small businesses and lessen the bite of the estate tax and Alternative Minimum tax.

The net result: compared with their tax bill today, taxpayers on average would see their tax bill cut by nearly $1,200. That means their after-tax income would rise by 2%."

This alone would increase revenue. The Bush tax cut's increased revenue by 20% after being enacted.This is money not accounted for being added to our overall income.

"But those in the lowest-income groups would enjoy the biggest after-tax income rise as a percentage of income - between 2.4% and 5.5% (worth between $567 and $1,042). By contrast, the highest-income households - those with at least $603,000 in income - would see a dramatic decline in their after-tax income - a drop of 8.7%, or $116,000."

Sorry folks you did so well....Punish the people that own small businesses and see what happens.

"Douglas Holtz-Eakin, senior economic adviser to McCain, noted that the report does not take into account the spending reforms - such as eliminating earmarks - that are central to McCain's strategy to support tax relief and help reduce the deficit.
One of the center's co-directors, William Gale, conceded in a conference call that "if McCain succeeds (in achieving his proposed spending cuts), the fiscal cost of his plan does go down."

"Not the final word
Williams said the Tax Policy Center analysis should be viewed as a work in progress. Researchers plan to update it as they get more information about the plans from the campaigns and if the candidates introduce new tax policies between now and Election Day.
The center will also incorporate the tax elements of McCain's and Obama's health care proposals when they update their findings.
How the candidates' tax plans would affect economic growth is an open question. "It depends on how the deficits are closed," Burman said.
Tax studies have shown that when tax cuts are deficit funded and they're paid for by raising taxes in the future, "the economy is worse off than if you didn't cut at all," Burman said."

Looking over all that it is obvious if these sources are correct that Obama just wants to make one entire middle class...removing money from the people that employee them is going to have a snow ball effect.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:42 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,233,999 times
So, is Obama on record as retaining the Bush tax cuts for those making under $250K (or $200K, I won't quibble)?

My understanding is that he is not, therefore everyone would have a tax increase from the rate of the past few years.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:53 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,616,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
So, is Obama on record as retaining the Bush tax cuts for those making under $250K (or $200K, I won't quibble)?

My understanding is that he is not, therefore everyone would have a tax increase from the rate of the past few years.
Yes Obama wants to tax the wealthy like they are taxed in California. Not middle-wage earners. In-fact most people will pay less taxes under Obama.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Yes Obama wants to tax the wealthy like they are taxed in California. Not middle-wage earners. In-fact most people will pay less taxes under Obama.
It won't offset the fact that the rich will be paying the majority of the taxes and it still doesn't account for the fact that the majority of those people in the "rich" but not stupid wealthy are small business owners. when someone makes that much it leaves them in a position to up and leave instead of keep running the business. That would have a trickle down effect and cause an increase in unemployment which would decrease income from taxes,

Old 07-22-2008, 10:03 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,496,190 times
I'm thinking that to the wealthiest Americans, a little bite in the butt more than they already are getting is the difference between buying a Range Rover or a Mercedes, while to the middle and lower-class, it could mean having a home, getting medical care, and eating food.

Sorry if I have no sympathy for the poor, unfortunate wealthy class. I thought we all learned that trickle-down economics were terrible for tax revenues?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections