Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,072,106 times

Advertisements

I thought the conservative way was to use LESS not MORE? So why do these "conservatives" want to drill in ANWR and the coasts. That doesn't seem very conservative to me.

The conservative way is what T Boone Pickens is promoting and that is the use for more alternative energy not drill up Alaska and the rest of the shores. On top of that the oil companies already have unused leased land that they can explore on. Now they want more? That doesn't sound too conservative to me again.

T Boone Pickens is a Republican and has never and will never vote Democrat according to his words but his plan and focus sounds a lot like Obama's and Al Gore's when it comes to alternative energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 08:59 AM

955 posts, read 2,159,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
I thought the conservative way was to use LESS not MORE? So why do these "conservatives" want to drill in ANWR and the coasts. That doesn't seem very conservative to me.
Conservative is a political philosophy, conservation as used is an eco belief.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:02 AM

68,349 posts, read 54,484,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
explain to me exactly how republicans have any influence on the price of gas...and how they caused this price drop. Thanks.

And more importantly, HOW is it that .45 less today was due to Republicans yet the .45 more yesterday wasn't?

Old 07-23-2008, 09:06 AM

272 posts, read 1,003,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post

The conservative way is what T Boone Pickens is promoting and that is the use for more alternative energy not drill up Alaska and the rest of the shores. On top of that the oil companies already have unused leased land that they can explore on. Now they want more? That doesn't sound too conservative to me again.

T Boone Pickens is a Republican and has never and will never vote Democrat according to his words but his plan and focus sounds a lot like Obama's and Al Gore's when it comes to alternative energy.
For the foreseeable future, oil is the cheapest, the most abundant, the most efficient fuel source we have. It is the lifeblood of the U.S. and of the free world. But because a free markets percolating, from this hotbed of American genius will spring alternative fuel sources. It may not be for fifty years, but it will happen when we need it.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:07 AM

68,349 posts, read 54,484,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAm View Post
For the foreseeable future, oil is the cheapest, the most abundant, the most efficient fuel source we have. It is the lifeblood of the U.S. and of the free world. But because a free markets percolating, from this hotbed of American genius will spring alternative fuel sources. It may not be for fifty years, but it will happen when we need it.

Sun, wind, and tidal are FREE sources, it's utilizing them economically we need to master.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:23 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,680,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaVoter View Post
Only Democrats would think to increase the Gas Tax (to cover road improvments) when Gas Prices are already through the roof.

Vote Republican remove the Democrats who think Raising our Gas Taxes is what the country needs now.
Hope you are looking forward to having more bridges collapse in the future. How do you plan on covering fixing our infrastructure then?

Old 07-23-2008, 09:34 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,618,780 times
Thumbs up Senate Democrats 'Stop Excessive Speculation Act' gives CFTC more leeway to punish oil price manipulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
Thank you Republicans.

I paid 0.45 cents less for gas today. 0.15 from the day before.

Gas is dropping and you are doing the work that Nancy and Harry promised us they would do.

I knew they would jump in and help us since the idiot leaders of congress have screwed us over and wont even get the guts to vote on this issue.

No more broken promises and lies from the democratic lying machine, vote republican so you can afford to drive your car!

lol...Apparently life is not only good at the beach, but "lala land" as well.

"First things first. If you are running a race with hurdles, jump the first hurdle first," Dorgan told reporters Monday. "The reason we have oil at $130, $140, $145 a barrel - like a roman candle going up, up, up - is because we have excessive, relentless speculation in these markets.
"Nothing in supply and demand in the last year justifies the price of oil," he added.
Mark Cooper of the Consumer Federation of America argued that market fundamentals do not explain a $40 to $60 per barrel "speculative premium" which he believes exists on the price of oil.

Source

As usual the threat of regulation is enough to curb excess....

Old 07-23-2008, 09:36 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,618,780 times
Of course now that we have a tropical storm off the coast....

Old 07-23-2008, 09:40 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,453,407 times
Talking Thanks Republicans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
Thank you Republicans.

I paid 0.45 cents less for gas today. 0.15 from the day before.

Gas is dropping and you are doing the work that Nancy and Harry promised us they would do.

I knew they would jump in and help us since the idiot leaders of congress have screwed us over and wont even get the guts to vote on this issue.

No more broken promises and lies from the democratic lying machine, vote republican so you can afford to drive your car!
The GOP...

Always putting America first!

Old 07-23-2008, 09:41 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,680,541 times
Drop in demand = drop in cost

Gas prices decline after big drop in crude prices (http://www.kxl.com/tabid/72/itemid/16161/Gas-prices-decline-after-big-drop-in-crude-prices.aspx - broken link)

Quote:
The price of crude oil had its biggest weekly drop ever, tumbling from its record high of $147 per barrel on July 11 to $129 on July 18. Crude is trading at about $127 today. The drop in oil prices is likely due to a continuing drop in demand for gas and oil products in the U.S. and around the world as economies continue to slow, especially in the U.S. and Europe. It's too early to say whether this is a trend, but it has resulted in lower gas prices in the short term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections