Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:08 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,815,197 times

Advertisements

A lot of people agree that Ron Paul makes a lot of sense on several points and that his call for sweeping reform should be answered.

A lot of people also agree, however, that Paul is far from charismatic and doesn't play well in front of cameras. Even though his being honest and open is definitely a step up from the general "sleeziness", voters need someone who is more "appealing to the senses". It also doesn't help that he's almost 73 years old.

So what he needs: an heir. A successor. Someone who shares his ideals about small government, but who is younger and more vibrant while still being frank and honest. I have no clue who that could be, but if Paul and his "Campaign for Liberty" throw their weight behind someone, his supporters will follow. It would have to be an outsider and someone not part of the "Washington establishment".

I don't agree with everything Paul says, and have problems with some of his positions, but he is definitely a step in the right direction, and hopefully will be the proverbial rock causing ripples in the pond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 09:03 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,159,784 times

YouTube - Ron Paul on Glenn Beck 07/30/2008 Part 1

YouTube - Ron Paul on Glenn Beck 07/30/2008 Part 2

I couldn't agree with you more. This was an interview done on Glenn Beck this past week. Paul talks about the economy frankly and honestly, yet his pace, his speech, and his wording is still difficult to follow for many people.

Check out his son, Rand Paul. He's in Kentucky.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:21 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Have you heard his son speak? His son is knowledgable and eloquent and down to earth.

I don't think Ron Paul's age is such a big factor. He's trim,loaded with energy and seems very healthy. I bet he's healthier than both Obama and McCain.

Regarding being charismatic, so what? We've had too much charisma and not enough substance or competence for WAY too many years.

Besides, did you watch any of the YouTube videos of any of his rallys and see how excited he gets a crowd of people of all ages? If not, go take a look at the first few of 26 videos of his July 12th rally in Washington D.C. and listen to him. He's exciting and inspiring. THOUSANDS of kids showed up to see him JUST TO HEAR HIM SPEAK and there was NO FREE BEER or big name rock band like Obama has to provide to ensure a big crowd.
There are nowhere near the same number of Obama or McCain supporters that are THAT excited about them as Ron Paul has that are excited about him. Let's be HONEST!

Foreigners already know him and LOVE him and envy us for having him as a potential leader who won't let an NAU happen to us the way the EU happened to the Europeans. They know he's the most likely to fix our economy which indirectly helps other economies. We NEED him! He's really our only hope!

Old 07-31-2008, 09:25 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Yup, Paul has really nailed the economy issues. I also dont agree with 100% of what he says, but I do agree with the majority of it.

He is an excellent man to bring sense back to DC.

Check out the link in my signature and sign up if you have not already...lots of good info to be had on that site.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:39 AM

OK so I had never heard that Rand Paul was doing anything political, but he is, and he looks pretty good at it. Now we just need people to elect him (or somebody like him) to a governorship or Senate seat so he can get a voting record started.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:39 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
THOUSANDS of kids showed up to see him JUST TO HEAR HIM SPEAK and there was NO FREE BEER or big name rock band like Obama has to provide to ensure a big crowd. There are nowhere near the same number of Obama or McCain supporters that are THAT excited about them as Ron Paul has that are excited about him. Let's be HONEST!
I really would like to see Ron Paul win the republican nomination... but, LOL, don't you think your claims that he's so well known and so popular are... ummmm... stretching the truth. Just a bit?

I mean, c'mon--if he was so popular you wouldn't need to call him Ron Paul. You could just call him Paul and everyone would know who you were talking about. You know, like McCain. Or Obama. Or Clinton. Or Bernanke. Or even Stephanapoulous.

You could post a photo of him without a caption... and most people would know who it was.

You could run a poll in most national newspapers asking who Ron Paul was... and people would answer it correctly. Right now the winning answer would be "he was a former pope."

I wish him well, but let's be realistic. How does it help him to pretend he has a following he simply doesn't have?

Old 07-31-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
OK so I had never heard that Rand Paul was doing anything political, but he is, and he looks pretty good at it. Now we just need people to elect him (or somebody like him) to a governorship or Senate seat so he can get a voting record started.
Yes indeed, he'd be great in those offices, and probably get a few important things accomplished.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I really would like to see Ron Paul win the republican nomination... but, LOL, don't you think your claims that he's so well known and so popular are... ummmm... stretching the truth. Just a bit?

I mean, c'mon--if he was so popular you wouldn't need to call him Ron Paul. You could just call him Paul and everyone would know who you were talking about. You know, like McCain. Or Obama. Or Clinton. Or Bernanke. Or even Stephanapoulous.

You could post a photo of him without a caption... and most people would know who it was.

You could run a poll in most national newspapers asking who Ron Paul was... and the winning answer would be "he was a former pope."

I wish him well, but let's be realistic. How does it help him to pretend he has a following he simply doesn't have?
Well Paul is a fairly common name. It'd be like having a Congressman Smith.

The tread is talking about the farther future, not election 2008. I think (Ron) Paul has started something, but he needs someone else to continue it.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Well Paul is a fairly common name. It'd be like having a Congressman Smith.
McCain and Clinton are even more common names. But people know who you're talking about.

My point is, Ron Paul needs better pr. He needs to get his name out there. If I were Ron Paul (and if I was serious about wanting the republican nomination) here's what I'd do: I'd run a parody of the McCain "celebrity" commericial.

In other words I'd be showing myself with Britney Spears and Paris Hilton. It would be funny, it would be memorable--and it would make the name Ron Paul a household word. Then I'd kick off a campaign adressing serious ideas and issues--and rake in all the voters who are tired of the mainstream candidates and the childishness that's been going on.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:47 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Congress isnt good enough? He has a very lengthy voting record there, and it has always been consistent with the ideals he speaks of today.

www.campaignforliberty.com is all about identifying local candidates (ie. governer, congress, senate) who stand for the same ideals, and supporting them through time and money to get them elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections