Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:26 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,866 times

Advertisements

Colin Powell is one of the finest Americans of our times. He tried in vain to be a voice of Reason in the Bush Clownhouse before he had to resign in disgust.

His endorsement speaks volumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 07:26 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,109,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Sorry, I meant the OP's link. You'll understand when I say, you all look alike to me.
Now THAT'S funny. I don't care what anyone says.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:31 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Colin Powell is one of the finest Americans of our times.
and who is unable to run for president himself because of his involvement in the My Lai Massacre.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:43 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
and who is unable to run for president himself because of his involvement in the My Lai Massacre.

Colin Powell was trying to protect his fellow Marines by downplaying what had happened at My Lai. Obviously it wasn't the right thing to do but you should be able to understand the situation. People would have cruicified him if he had started blaming marines for doing that. It's an every day occurance that the military whitewashes all the bad news and feeds us the stories about building schools, people going to vote for president, etc etc while forgettin to mention the 100 people who were blown to pieces this morning in a market. He was a part of the establishment and did not have "free speech." Colin Powell is an honorble man and will always be one. His endorsement of Barack Obama will be excellent and should seal the deal.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:44 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,923,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS8510 View Post
Kristol: Colin Powell to Endorse Barack Obama - America’s Election HQ (broken link)

KRISTOL: COLIN POWELL TO ENDORSE BARACK OBAMA
Powell to speak at convention
Smart decision. Colin Powell is a very respectable man and to have him as an ally of Obama is good. The difference between him and McCain, who are veterans, is that Powell is a man of reason and McCain can be too hotheaded.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:18 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post
Colin Powell was trying to protect his fellow Marines
Ah - Powell was not a Marine

Old 08-13-2008, 11:35 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Ah - Powell was not a Marine

my mistake. i stand corrected. he served in the army.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Colin Powell was trying to protect his fellow Marines by downplaying what had happened at My Lai. Obviously it wasn't the right thing to do but you should be able to understand the situation.
I understand that you have no clue.

Calley was an Army officer, not a marine, and US Army Major Colin Powell was Lt Calley's G-3, or Plans and Operations Officer. That means it was Powell's idea to send troops to the village.

Quote:
People would have cruicified him if he had started blaming marines for doing that.
No kidding. The Marines weren't involved. You know they do make maps of command operational areas for US troops in Vietnam, showing where army and marine troops were located.

Quote:
t. He was a part of the establishment and did not have "free speech." Colin Powell is an honorble man and will always be one.
Well, see, that's what separates the humans from the wannabes. An honorable person always does the right thing, regardless of the cost to their career, family, life, etc, etc.

Powell couldn't cut it then, couldn't cut it when he was the Chief of Staff, couldn't cut it when he was the Secretary of State, and can't cut it now.

Don't get me wrong. I knew of him, met him when I was in the MDW, but never served under him. He was a good officer, but not an excellent officer, more of a politician (as characterized by MG Vuono, who would later be Chief of Staff).

Quote:
His endorsement of Barack Obama will be excellent and should seal the deal.
Maybe.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:33 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Colin Powell is one of the finest Americans of our times. He tried in vain to be a voice of Reason in the Bush Clownhouse before he had to resign in disgust.

His endorsement speaks volumes.
Maybe to you, but not to everybody. He has the right to endorse whoever he wants, but I'm certainly not going to vote for Obama just because Powell will.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
The difference between him and McCain, who are veterans, is that Powell is a man of reason and McCain can be too hotheaded.
No the difference is that Powell is a foreign policy liberal. McCain is a foreign policy conservative. Powell and others, like Alexander Haig, like to work within the framework of a collective security agreement, like NATO. Foreign policy conservatives don't, but will if they have to, and will go it alone otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections