Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 04:43 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,920,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
It's quiet because Senator Obama is on vacation. Strange, everytime Senator Obama goes on vacation or overseas...it gets quiet. Why doesn't Senator McCain start pounding the pavement and airwaves with his policies and agenda? Why is he afraid to let the American People know what he's going to do about the Economy? Why do we always need Senator Obama to have a party?...oop - Is the GOP an irrelevant party without Senator Obama?

Interesting. Sounds like a thread.
You so don't get it. I'm not saying "it" as in the media is quiet this week. I'm saying the Repubs are and have been quiet (more quiet than normal) this entire campaign. From everything I hear, there is going to be a major 11th hour attack / offensive / exposure of Obama issue / what ever you want to call it.......and I hear it will be a crash and burn for Obama. Obama's campaign so doesn't seem to get it.........funny really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 05:01 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,237,013 times
Ok folks, just a reminder that the topic in this thread is....

Team Obama: "Setting the Record Straight on the Lies in Jerome Corsi’s 'The Obama Nation'"

Old 08-15-2008, 05:10 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,086,223 times
Seems obama might be twisting the record straight.

The Obama Overreach: Refuting A Few of Corsi’s Smears By Re-Writing History

Political Punch

Quote:
One item the Obama campaign labels a “LIE” is the claim that when Obama ran for state senator, “(i)nstead of stepping aside in deference to (then-state senator Alice) Palmer, Obama decided to fight her for the nomination.”

This is not a lie, this is true. Palmer had decided to run for Congress, and Obama was tapped to run to replace her. When Palmer lost in the primary, she wanted to stay as a state senator. Obama said no. He had every right to do so, but he decided to fight her for the nomination instead of stepping aside in deference to her.
Quote:
In another refutation, Corsi’s assertion that Obama adviser Air Force General Merrill ‘Tony’ McPeak (Ret.) has “anti-Israel views” is characterized by the Obama campaign as “SMEARING MCPEAK AS AN ANTI-SEMITE.”

Obviously holding anti-Israel views and being an anti-Semite are not the same thing (though they often go hand in hand.) But more to the point, plenty of Israel supporters have thought McPeak’s views on Israel -- in which he seemed to blame the stalled Mideast peace process on “pro-Israel” voters in New York and Miami – as highly inflammatory.
What'd I tell you. Obama has opened a can of worms by responding - although if he didn't respond, that would have been bad as well.

He's exactly where he should be - a lose-lose situation.

Quote:
I'm saying the Repubs are and have been quiet (more quiet than normal) this entire campaign.
You know what they say - don't interrupt your opponent as he self-destructs. The repubs have been sitting back enjoying the melee as the dems duke it out.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:19 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,281,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Seems obama might be twisting the record straight.
Quote:
One item the Obama campaign labels a “LIE” is the claim that when Obama ran for state senator, “(i)nstead of stepping aside in deference to (then-state senator Alice) Palmer, Obama decided to fight her for the nomination.”

This is not a lie, this is true. Palmer had decided to run for Congress, and Obama was tapped to run to replace her. When Palmer lost in the primary, she wanted to stay as a state senator. Obama said no. He had every right to do so, but he decided to fight her for the nomination instead of stepping aside in deference to her.
This story is in that New Yorker article, "Making It." She was the one with the false petition signatures. It was like a game of musical chairs - she had gotten up from her seat to try for another one, he was asked to take her old seat, she didnt get the seat she'd aimed for and asked for her old seat back, he wouldnt give it, she collected signatures that did not check out, she had to withdraw, he kept her seat, she was left standing in the middle of the room with no seat. She had indeed pulled her own plug.

So it is a lie that he "decided to fight her for the nomination," because there wasn't a contest between them. He didnt have to fight her, she lost by herself with the petition signatures. Obama's team is correct, technically. But they lose points for disrespecting the readers by not explaining the facts. No points to either side here.

Quote:
In another refutation, Corsi’s assertion that Obama adviser Air Force General Merrill ‘Tony’ McPeak (Ret.) has “anti-Israel views” is characterized by the Obama campaign as “SMEARING MCPEAK AS AN ANTI-SEMITE.”

Obviously holding anti-Israel views and being an anti-Semite are not the same thing (though they often go hand in hand.) But more to the point, plenty of Israel supporters have thought McPeak’s views on Israel -- in which he seemed to blame the stalled Mideast peace process on “pro-Israel” voters in New York and Miami – as highly inflammatory.
Well, the actual headline in the Obama .pdf says "SMEARING MCPEAK AS AN ANTI-SEMITE IS 'GROTESQUE.'" The quoted Atlantic piece by James Fallows is responding to a piece by Marc Ambinder, which is getting after the Clintons for distributing an article in the American Spectator ("of all publications") that bad-mouths McPeak, calls him an anti-Semite. Well, I just read the AS article and he's clearly not an anti-Semite, but he certainly doesnt appear to have anti-Israel views. He's a military strategist. He holds the typical opinion that the Israel lobby in the US is strong, and like a million other armchair generals, his opinion on how the Mideast can achieve peace is by Israel withdrawing to its 1967 border.

So - "decidedly anti-Israel views" is a lie, so the O team is correct there. But "painting him as an anti-Semite," while not exactly a lie, is fudging. The O team once again needed to be upfront and they chose not to be. They chose a long and irrelevant quote to use, and maybe they're trying to manipulate a young ADD-ish audience with "anti-Semite" rather than having to parse and be boring.

So - your post is typically overdramatizing, but the Obama team does need to get some grownups on board.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:23 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,652,484 times
Quote:
You know what they say - don't interrupt your opponent as he self-destructs. The repubs have been sitting back enjoying the melee as the dems duke it out.
Or panicking as their candidate continues to debate himself.

Senator Obama has dealt with considerably more offense than Senator McCain, issuing statements to refute the latest attack continues to show the American people he is willing to defend himself and therefore them.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
You so don't get it. I'm not saying "it" as in the media is quiet this week. I'm saying the Repubs are and have been quiet (more quiet than normal) this entire campaign. From everything I hear, there is going to be a major 11th hour attack / offensive / exposure of Obama issue / what ever you want to call it.......and I hear it will be a crash and burn for Obama. Obama's campaign so doesn't seem to get it.........funny really.
No I get it. I haven't seen such widespread panic and degradation of the ranks in a political party in a very long time. I can't quite recall the last time I've seen the opposing party publicly support and endorse the other party's candidate and agenda during their own election campaign.

Senator Obama's poise throughout this latest fiasco, the factual non facts bulk book buy conspiracy theory author"gate" will undoubtedly come across as inspiring to even more folks in the Republican Party who want to see a good clean fight, but weren't raised to cheat on tests.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:38 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,086,223 times
Funny what they characterize as a "smear". Genuine questions and criticism get labeled as smears.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Funny what they characterize as a "smear". Genuine questions and criticism get labeled as smears.

Yes it is interesting...a pastor and past infidelity are certainly genuine questions for some, smears that detract from legitimate debate regarding the Nations real problems to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections