Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 06:40 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,932,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
"Why won't the Democrats clean up their house?"
I will tell you why = ego.
They are full of their own preceived importance
they really do think there are dems, like myself, that will never vote against them in very large numbers.
How dare we do that?!
The Republicians are just as bad, they need a house cleaning as well!

I agree as I am an Independent. That is the problem with our system the 2 parties in charge are both equally corrupt and care little about the voters anymore. I tend to vote Republican but this year I don't think I can.

What is truly sad is that most people are slightly left/right of center but will vote party line in most cases. If we could ever get a truly moderate candidate out of either party with just a smidgen of honesty the people would overwhelmingly vote him/her in. The problem is that neither party will let that happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 06:56 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,209,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post

I agree as I am an Independent. That is the problem with our system the 2 parties in charge are both equally corrupt and care little about the voters anymore. I tend to vote Republican but this year I don't think I can.

What is truly sad is that most people are slightly left/right of center but will vote party line in most cases. If we could ever get a truly moderate candidate out of either party with just a smidgen of honesty the people would overwhelmingly vote him/her in. The problem is that neither party will let that happen.

YET, but the day's a'coming!

Old 08-16-2008, 07:07 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,458,823 times
I honestly think sufficient number of us are fed up with the 2 party system and their nominees right now that IF a 3rd party could put out a candidate that could really have a go at it, we would see the evolution of a true three party system.

Unfortunately, the momentum is not there yet, but this year would have been ripe for the picking if they had the base built. It will happen, but it is one of those both parties have to have a certain portion of their base feeling disenfranchised before it will happen

Of course, the fluke in this election that would have split the dems is Hilliary's group remaining loyal....how often is that going to occur????

Old 08-16-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I honestly think sufficient number of us are fed up with the 2 party system and their nominees right now that IF a 3rd party could put out a candidate that could really have a go at it, we would see the evolution of a true three party system.

Unfortunately, the momentum is not there yet, but this year would have been ripe for the picking if they had the base built. It will happen, but it is one of those both parties have to have a certain portion of their base feeling disenfranchised before it will happen

Of course, the fluke in this election that would have split the dems is Hilliary's group remaining loyal....how often is that going to occur????
I hope you are right. I am getting too old for this and admittingly riding off into the sunset. I only hope that the next generation sees through the 2 party system and demands change. I know my children were taught to question authority with respect if they felt it necessary. I have always encouraged them to ask questions even when facing punishment. I was always willing to hear their side and even changed my opinion after hearing their case on some occasions. There are no sheep in my family!

Old 08-16-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I hope you are right. I am getting too old for this and admittingly riding off into the sunset. I only hope that the next generation sees through the 2 party system and demands change. I know my children were taught to question authority with respect if they felt it necessary. I have always encouraged them to ask questions even when facing punishment. I was always willing to hear their side and even changed my opinion after hearing their case on some occasions. There are no sheep in my family!
Sounds like we raised our kids with like minded attitudes....glad to hear someone is still taking the time to try and ensure they know right from wrong...but you also took the time to instill work ethic in them.

We have 6 grown kids and they are always telling me "Mom, my boss really appreciates my work"...and it is easy to see why they are all so successful when they tell me about the way some of the folks they work with dont care, call in, show no initative, take no responsibility, only do what they have to, and are the first to state "that is not my job" when tasked with something.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Sounds like we raised our kids with like minded attitudes....glad to hear someone is still taking the time to try and ensure they know right from wrong...but you also took the time to instill work ethic in them.

We have 6 grown kids and they are always telling me "Mom, my boss really appreciates my work"...and it is easy to see why they are all so successful when they tell me about the way some of the folks they work with dont care, call in, show no initative, take no responsibility, only do what they have to, and are the first to state "that is not my job" when tasked with something.
While I am the Dad in our situation my wife and I feel personal responsibility, honesty, integrity are paramount in a truly productive life. We have never emphasized money as is attested by our daughter being a teacher and a darn good one. We have let our kids make decisions, and yes even the bad ones, from time to time. We never ran to their rescue, but were always supportive. We taught them our values but let them search out their own. The grown ones are all conservative to moderate just like their parents. I think that is because we did allow them to see what both sides had to offer and never tried to influence them other than living the life we do. We are watching our 2 younger ones go through the same process with just as much fun. We have 4, our oldest is heading towards 28 while our youngest is 14 heading to 15. It has been quite a ride!

Old 08-16-2008, 02:42 PM

Congrats on a job well done...we raised 6...all adults now and doing quite well. Oldest just finished her PhD (along with her hubby) on Thursday!!!

All our kids are consrervatives too (except one, I am convinced she was switched out in the nursery at the hospital) and I am sure it is because we allowed them to think their way thru things when they got into the thick of it with bad/less than wonderful decisions.

I can tell you that, had we not cracked the whip, several were the types that would have been just fine enjoying life on our dime (trying to decrease the number of college classes they took a semester, scheduling all their classes for evening so they could sleep all day) but when we told them, no schoolie/must workie they got the picture. One kid had to realize that hey, if I don't work enough hours for gas $$ they are going to make me ride my bike until payday...and it is wet and cold out...she buckled down really quick.

You are right...quite a ride it was. While we enjoyed almost every minute of it, glad it is behind us and all we need to do now is spoil grandchildren and soon enjoy our retirement...which we have worked long and hard for...and saved well to enjoy...and vote accordingly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections