Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:33 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,397,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I've already said no one in charge of IL deserves anything in the white house.
Tell that to Lincoln. Of course he wasn't "in charge" of IL, but neither is Obama.

Quote:
Claiming he had no part is not facing the truth.
Part? I guess everyone has a part in IL's economic woes. The big problem, however, is state and local Gov't. Our Governor is a joke, and he's not alone.

If you want to say "Obama hasn't helped", we can have a discussion. But to say "Obama has destroyed Illinois(') economy" (the title of this thread) is a joke. Seriously. Come on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

29,939 posts, read 39,486,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Dreading a Democrat in the Senate? Because that's what this thread is about.

To think that a Democratic Senator is responsible for economic woes in the state of Illinois is laughable.

And looking at the graph....what sticks out....the "health care"

What do you think UHC is going to do to us? He will be indirectly responsible by the same thinking if you are correct.....who really pays.

8,276 posts, read 12,868,057 times
Well I guess if you want 4 more years of the 8 we had then elect McSame. If you want war with Iran, continuation of war with Iraq, then choose McSame. I expect he will implement the draft as well. McSame will be the way to Canadian citizenship for young Americans that know this is a war to no where for nothing. If you want something different then choose Nader , Obama, or some of the independents. I personally think Ron Paul is a flash back to Reagan era republicans ( more conservative than the present ones)
I'm not seeing the last 8 years as anything to be proud of and certainly think we need a change in the worse way. A special interest republican with temper issues, and little character is not the answer! He wasn't competent in his military career why do you think he would make a good president?
McSame = the road to McShame

Old 08-21-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:

If you want to say "Obama hasn't helped", we can have a discussion. But to say "Obama has destroyed Illinois(') economy" (the title of this thread) is a joke. Seriously. Come on.

That's exactly what I'm getting at. I don't think he is soley alone....I have seen the horrible decisions by the gov.

Is he suppose to help the rest of the US going in with the same gun ho UHC & social programs....is that going to help?

What help will it provide to anyone if we go bankrupt.....or become 185 of 195 countries in gdp to debt....

Old 08-21-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Actually it's pretty much right on with history.

United States National Debt 1791 - 2005 vs. GDP ($billions) - Swivel
You've given us a chart of the US Debt. Not the deficit. The deficit adds to the debt, and that flat section in the late '90s is what Kuvopolis was talking about.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm getting at. I don't think he is soley alone....I have seen the horrible decisions by the gov.

Is he suppose to help the rest of the US going in with the same gun ho UHC & social programs....is that going to help?

What help will it provide to anyone if we go bankrupt.....or become 185 of 195 countries in gdp to debt....
We're paying a ton in healthcare costs anyway. We need a better model. I think that there are far less pressing things that we are spending trillions on (Iraq comes to mind... and that expense isn't even included in spending/deficit numbers...).

Old 08-21-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Well I guess if you want 4 more years of the 8 we had then elect McSame. If you want war with Iran, continuation of war with Iraq, then choose McSame. I expect he will implement the draft as well. McSame will be the way to Canadian citizenship for young Americans that know this is a war to no where for nothing. If you want something different then choose Nader , Obama, or some of the independents. I personally think Ron Paul is a flash back to Reagan era republicans ( more conservative than the present ones)
I'm not seeing the last 8 years as anything to be proud of and certainly think we need a change in the worse way. A special interest republican with temper issues, and little character is not the answer! He wasn't competent in his military career why do you think he would make a good president?
McSame = the road to McShame

8 more years is exactly what one would want.

The United States Unemployment Rate (http://www.miseryindex.us/urbymonth.asp - broken link)
Global U.S. Troop Deployment, 1950–2003
http://www.data360.org/dsg.aspx?Data_Set_Group_Id=353

"Those who closely follow U.S. defense posture know that President George W. Bush’s August 2004 announcement of a proposed global redeployment of U.S. troops was predated by many years of prepa*ration and planning. “The world has changed a great deal and our posture must change with it,” President Bush said. The plan will withdraw 70,000 troops from Europe and Asia, continu*ing the departure from the Cold War stance of 1950–1990."

Is it not?

Or do you judge him only for his push for freedom in the mid east...and going after dictators?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
You've given us a chart of the US Debt. Not the deficit. The deficit adds to the debt, and that flat section in the late '90s is what Kuvopolis was talking about.

Overall we are exactly the same % in debt as we have been throughout history. Yes there is pluses and minuses....

Where do 9/11, Katrina (along with numerous other catastrophes), 2 wars, Enron bust, tech bust, 10th largest stock market bust, housing bubble...where do they fall into the scheme of things through out history? Those things cost money to do....you can disagree with the war but the majority of those items Bush had no control of.

Clinton enjoyed a bit of a false hope. It fell down hard on us with the tech bubble, Enron, and removing a good % og military spending. There is always a pay off and that lead to us being under funded when we needed to go to war.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:30 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,830,664 times
Actually Congress is the body that spends and controls the economy. During Clinton it boomed under Newt and company and under Bush has slowed once Pelosi and Reid took control.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:38 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,193,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvopolis View Post
Inarguably impressive stats!
383.7% GOP vs. 639% Dems

Thanks for providing the link..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections