Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:24 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,616,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
The only point I got is that you are completely clueless about all economic issues (and most other issues), and your opinions on such matters should be ignored, or mocked for the utter nonsense that they are.

Agree? Hardly.
Clueless, the economy is fine in my area. Fact is everyone is doing great.

We all know that Obama will steal from us and give to liberals who wont work.

The economy is just fine if you are willing to work and not sitting home with handouts coming in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 09:28 AM

27,215 posts, read 46,778,320 times
Obama will destroy the whole nation if he and his wife will be in the White House...but really I don't believe Americans will let that happen.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:28 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,396,071 times
Well, first of all, my question remains. What, praytell, do the actions of Barack Obama, US Senator, have to do with state tax rates in IL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
"Sworn into office January 4, 2005, Senator Obama serves on the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee"

"During his eight years in the Illinois state Senate, Obama worked with both Democrats and Republicans to help working families get ahead by creating programs like the state Earned Income Tax Credit, which in three years provided over $100 million in tax cuts to families across the state. Obama also pushed through an expansion of early childhood education, and after a number of inmates on death row were found innocent, Senator Obama enlisted the support of law enforcement officials to draft legislation requiring the videotaping of interrogations and confessions in all capital cases."

Barack Obama - U.S. Senator for Illinois (http://obama.senate.gov/about/ - broken link)
I don't find any of that objectionable. I thought we liked tax cuts.

Quote:
"Facing Facts: A Report of The Civic Committee's Task Force on Illinois State Finance" notes, "The $45.7 billion unfunded obligation--putting to one side for the moment the pension bonds--gives Illinois one of the lowest funding ratios for its state pension plans of any state in the country, and represents an obligation of approximately $3,800 per person for the 12 million residents of the State."
Publication Date: February 1, 2007
Illinois Pension Debt Deepens - by Steve Stanek - The Heartland Institute

And you want ANYONE from this state leading the country?
What does that have to do with Obama?

Quote:
Can I point it out any more clear?
Sure. You can start by making a clear correlation between any of this and the candidate you are attacking, rather than trying to impugn Obama's reputation by pointing out that some of the goings-on in IL are less-than-Kosher. I live here. I know that. What I don't know is what any of it has to do with Barack Obama.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:29 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,115,694 times
Quote:
"During his eight years in the Illinois state Senate, Obama worked with both Democrats and Republicans to help working families get ahead by creating programs like the state Earned Income Tax Credit, which in three years provided over $100 million in tax cuts to families across the state. Obama also pushed through an expansion of early childhood education, and after a number of inmates on death row were found innocent, Senator Obama enlisted the support of law enforcement officials to draft legislation requiring the videotaping of interrogations and confessions in all capital cases."

And you see these things as BAD? Giving tax cuts to working families (because you MUST work to get an Earned Income Tax credit), providing better education to children, and preventing innocent people from being executed for crimes they did not commit. You really think these are BAD ideas? WOW!

Barack Obama - U.S. Senator for Illinois (http://obama.senate.gov/about/ - broken link)

"Facing Facts: A Report of The Civic Committee's Task Force on Illinois State Finance" notes, "The $45.7 billion unfunded obligation--putting to one side for the moment the pension bonds--gives Illinois one of the lowest funding ratios for its state pension plans of any state in the country, and represents an obligation of approximately $3,800 per person for the 12 million residents of the State."
Publication Date: February 1, 2007
Illinois Pension Debt Deepens - by Steve Stanek - The Heartland Institute

And you want ANYONE from this state leading the country?
The unfunded obligation is a result of many, many issues...much of which is a result of FEDERAL mandates imposed upon the state by the FEDERAL government without the attending funds. And that is mainly a result of a shortfall in FEDERAL funds available because of the tax cuts to the rich and the huge debt that has evolved from the Iraq war.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:44 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,483,645 times
You guys are totally missing the point. IL is in LAST place......So the idea that picking someone from the criminal ridden corrupt IL government system and placing them in the POTUS seat is absolutely absurd.

You know what you guys may be right....Obama really hasn't done anything since being elected there....is that your standpoint or do you still think Obama being

Old 08-22-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Well, first of all, my question remains. What, praytell, do the actions of Barack Obama, US Senator, have to do with state tax rates in IL?

I don't find any of that objectionable. I thought we liked tax cuts.

What does that have to do with Obama?

Sure. You can start by making a clear correlation between any of this and the candidate you are attacking, rather than trying to impugn Obama's reputation by pointing out that some of the goings-on in IL are less-than-Kosher. I live here. I know that. What I don't know is what any of it has to do with Barack Obama.

If your in last place it's past time to give tax cuts.

What good to tax cuts do to a bankrupt economy?

let's see what does that have to do with Obama:
Senator Obama serves on the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee"
gives Illinois one of the lowest funding ratios for its state pension plans of any state in the country, and represents an obligation of approximately $3,800 per person for the 12 million residents of the State."

2+2=???

IL is as corrupt as it get's.....that much is obvious. Why would we need someone from your state running the rest of the country. We already know he surrounds himself with corruption. Are you one of the folks that complains Bush is corrupt?

Old 08-22-2008, 09:50 AM

And you see these things as BAD? Giving tax cuts to working families (because you MUST work to get an Earned Income Tax credit), providing better education to children, and preventing innocent people from being executed for crimes they did not commit. You really think these are BAD ideas? WOW!

They sound wonderful.....it's the same line of BS he is feeding you to get him to vote for him......if last place doesn't tell you anything about ALL of the leaders of IL then I can't help you anymore.

The unfunded obligation is a result of many, many issues...much of which is a result of FEDERAL mandates imposed upon the state by the FEDERAL government without the attending funds. And that is mainly a result of a shortfall in FEDERAL funds available because of the tax cuts to the rich and the huge debt that has evolved from the Iraq war.

The claim is 10.3 billion a month for the Iraq war. Do you know what 10.3 billion equates out to? .07% of the GDP a month going to Iraq

http://theiraqinsider.blogspot.com/2008/02/how-much-does-iraq-war-cost-per-month.html (broken link)

Old 08-22-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
You guys are totally missing the point. IL is in LAST place......So the idea that picking someone from the criminal ridden corrupt IL government system and placing them in the POTUS seat is absolutely absurd.

You know what you guys may be right....Obama really hasn't done anything since being elected there....is that your standpoint or do you still think Obama being
Sir, we are well aware of economic issues that IL is dealing with at the moment. (Far more aware, I'd wager, than you are, as we live in IL). However, to say that ANYONE from IL is totally useless by association, is patently offensive and wrong-headed.

To say that a US Senator can and should control matters of the State displays a fundamental lack of understanding of the seperation of state and federal powers. I would think that a Carolinian might have a little respect for States' Rights.

Otherwise, we're just throwing around guilt by association based on proximity. That doesn't make any sense.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Are you one of the folks that complains Bush is corrupt?
Absolutely. Because he is. And he surrounds himself with corrupt people. Don't think that by attacking another candidate you somehow let your guy off the hook. The difference, in this case, is that you see Obama as offering suspected or potential corruption based on where he is from. Bush has ushered in an era of real and unabashed corruption. Suspicion vs reality.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:58 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,616,805 times
Quote:
If your in last place it's past time to give tax cuts.

What good to tax cuts do to a bankrupt economy?

let's see what does that have to do with Obama:
Senator Obama serves on the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee"
gives Illinois one of the lowest funding ratios for its state pension plans of any state in the country, and represents an obligation of approximately $3,800 per person for the 12 million residents of the State."

2+2=???

IL is as corrupt as it get's.....that much is obvious. Why would we need someone from your state running the rest of the country. We already know he surrounds himself with corruption. Are you one of the folks that complains Bush is corrupt?
Liberals will never lower taxes, liberals will never understand business and how it effects the economy, liberals will never take the heat for anything that is wrong. But they will be the first in line to grab credit for something right that they had nothing to do with it.

Obama is not ready for prime time, Obama doesnt understand money or economics, Obama doesnt know how to grow a business without taxing them to death.

He is all about taxation which destroys businesses and caused jobs loses. His record speaks for itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections