Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 02:20 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,388 times

Advertisements

TPM Election Central | Talking Points Memo | Whoops! Top Republican Admits That GOP Is Running "Ministry Of Truth" Against Obama

Whoops! Top Republican Admits That GOP Is Running "Ministry Of Truth" Against Obama

By Eric Kleefeld - August 26, 2008 TPM Election Central
Wow -- a leading Republican appears to have just inadvertently admitted that the GOP's spin machine set up to counter Barack Obama during the convention is a propaganda machine spewing nothing but lies.
The GOPer in question is Colorado GOP chairman Dick Wadhams, who accidentally made the admission when describing the GOP's war room in Denver set up to hammer Obama during convention week.
Wadhams described the GOP's outfit thusly to the Denver Post: "Just consider this the Ministry of Truth."
Um, as anybody who has ever read George Orwell knows, the Ministry of Truth exists to disseminate false propaganda about how great the ruling regime is, continuously rewriting both history and the present-day facts in order to maintain total control over the population.
"The Ministry of Peace concerns itself with war, the Ministry of Truth with lies, the Ministry of Love with torture and the Ministry of Plenty with starvation," Orwell wrote. "These contradictions are not accidental, nor do they result from ordinary hypocrisy; they are deliberate exercises in doublethink."

http://www.allsportsnetwork.net/community/images/smilies/schwegman.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 02:45 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,939 times
I'm by no means sympathizing with the GOP, but I have to wonder if maybe he didn't realize the significance of his claim. Is it possible that he thought he was declaring that the GOP is literally spreading the truth?

I mean, I haven't read Orwell since high school, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the exact details regarding the "Ministry of Truth" myself. Maybe Wadhams had heard the term, but hadn't read 1984, and didn't understand the implications of what he was saying....?

Or maybe he's just an idiot and a liar, who admitted such...

Old 08-27-2008, 03:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
As a former Coloradan who well remembers Wadhams, I think it is safe to say he's acquainted with how the Ministry of Truth operates, and when it comes to doublethink, he is a cheerful participant.
Does he understand or appreciate the *implications* of his statement?
Probably not.
To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully-constructed lies...

Old 08-27-2008, 05:00 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,155,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
I'm by no means sympathizing with the GOP, but I have to wonder if maybe he didn't realize the significance of his claim. Is it possible that he thought he was declaring that the GOP is literally spreading the truth?

I mean, I haven't read Orwell since high school, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the exact details regarding the "Ministry of Truth" myself. Maybe Wadhams had heard the term, but hadn't read 1984, and didn't understand the implications of what he was saying....?

Or maybe he's just an idiot and a liar, who admitted such...
Many Republicans don't read literature. That's for the elitist Democrats.

They also don't read intelligence reports that contradict what they already know. They don't read the fatwas released by the terrorist organization that gave us 9/11. They don't read the assessments of the surge/war created by our own government agencies. They don't read the reams of paper released by Comptroller General David Walker about the state of Social Security/Medicare. Some have never even read the bible they believe our Constitution is based on. So I guess it goes without saying that they've never read the Constitution either.

Or maybe, the guy knows exactly what he was saying.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:20 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,596,543 times
Exclamation Interesting

The "Ministry of Truth," of course, comes from Orwell's 1984. Its responsibility was to create bogus propaganda and re-write history, all in the interests of lying to -- and ultimately, maintaining control over -- the public.

Kleefeld quoted Orwell's description: "The Ministry of Peace concerns itself with war, the Ministry of Truth with lies, the Ministry of Love with torture and the Ministry of Plenty with starvation. These contradictions are not accidental, nor do they result from ordinary hypocrisy; they are deliberate exercises in doublethink."
SOURCE

"The GOPer in question is Colorado GOP chairman Dick Wadhams, who accidentally made the admission when describing the GOP's war room in Denver set up to hammer Obama during convention week.
Wadhams described the GOP's outfit thusly to the Denver Post: "Just consider this the Ministry of Truth."

REPUBLICAN BOASTS ABOUT 'MINISTRY OF TRUTH'
Washington Monthly August 26, 2008

"Now, I will gladly concede that the word "Orwellian" is used a little too often, sometimes in instances in which it doesn't really apply.
But in a case like this, Republicans like Wadhams is just making it too easy."

Hmm...quite an implicit admission. Why should we brush this aside as if it were a gaffe of an illiterate? Politicians are Professional speakers, and it is disingenuous to believe they do not understand the nature of their words, nor the intent of the delivery.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post

Or maybe, the guy knows exactly what he was saying.
I wouldn't bet against you.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
I wouldn't bet against you.
As for the Orwellian angle, Rudy used the campaign slogan, Freedom is about Authority, in the first few campaigns of the primary season.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
As for the Orwellian angle, Rudy used the campaign slogan, Freedom is about Authority, in the first few campaigns of the primary season.
Perhaps we should ask for the definition of Liberty next?

Old 08-27-2008, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Perhaps we should ask for the definition of Liberty next?
Liberty, in the eyes of the current Congress and administration, means that we have every right to impose our wants on other countries even if we have to invade them. It also means we can tell other countries not to do what we did in the 21st century. Time horizon.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:38 AM

Time Horizon....That, in any other era would have been the "spin of the Century". Sadly it's a long, long way down the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections