Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:45 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,433,675 times

Advertisements

Tropical Storm Gustav is already wreaking havoc with the Republican convention plans next week, as it moves toward the Gulf Coast. And the storm’s gathering strength can only serve as a vivid reminder of the Bush administration’s much criticized, delayed response to the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina, which slammed into New Orleans three years ago this Friday.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, who was scheduled to speak at the Republican convention next Tuesday the day the storm may hit land has already declared a state of emergency. The predicted path of the storm at this point suggests it could make land fall in New Orleans, again.

Things could get real interesting. I'm sure if you're a Pub, the last thing you want the American public reminded of, during your convention, is Katrina.

Daily Kos: State of the Nation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 09:48 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Default "No, Lord, I meant the bad guys, not US"

Stuart Shepard, who makes religious-right videos for James Dobson’s Focus on the Family, [asked] politically conservative Christians to pray for rain on Aug. 28, in order to disrupt Barack Obama’s speech at the Democratic National Convention.

Shepard called for “abundant rain, torrential rain … flood-advisory rain.” He adds, “I’m talking about umbrella-ain’t-gonna-help-you rain … swamp-the-intersections rain.”

http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com...ves/16578.html

Old 08-27-2008, 11:02 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,589,431 times
Strong on geography are you?

Old 08-27-2008, 11:07 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,110,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
Strong on geography are you?
Huh? Oh, that's right! Hurricanes are local news!

And to think some Republicans were nervous a powerful hurricane slamming into New Orleans might take away from some of the press coverage of their convention. They didn't even realize Minneapolis isn't in Louisiana!

Old 08-27-2008, 11:07 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,703,232 times
If this were to impact the DNC, liberals would say "oh, the government created the hurricane to ruin our convention."

I think that the convention will earn its keep and the hurricane will come secondary next week unless it is another Katrina.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
If this were to impact the DNC, liberals would say "oh, the government created the hurricane to ruin our convention."

I think that the convention will earn its keep and the hurricane will come secondary next week unless it is another Katrina.
The hurricane is clearly the work of dissatisfied Ron Paul supporters.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:34 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,635,947 times
Quote:
I'm sure if you're a Pub, the last thing you want the American public reminded of, during your convention, is Katrina.
I'm pretty sure it was a couple of hapless Democrats in charge of New Orleans and Louisiana when Katrina struck with what, a five day notice that the storm was coming? Liberals might have at least a shred of respectability if they would simply cop to their screw ups and not blame those that have/had no control over their constant and continual abject ineptitude.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:45 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,171,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
I'm pretty sure it was a couple of hapless Democrats in charge of New Orleans and Louisiana when Katrina struck with what, a five day notice that the storm was coming? Liberals might have at least a shred of respectability if they would simply cop to their screw ups and not blame those that have/had no control over their constant and continual abject ineptitude.

Yes, and one of those inept idiots is still in charge of New Orleans, but at least they replaced the other one with Bobby Jindal so all is not lost.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
Incompetent local officials played a part. But its still unconscionable to see how poor the federal government's response was to a disaster of that magnitude. It was beyond the resources of local government.

But President Bush and John McCain had other priorities. They had to act before the cake would melt.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:50 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,703,232 times
And yet it is still embraced as a republican state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections