Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 09:01 AM

280 posts, read 687,253 times

Advertisements

To all of you political scientist types. I need help on understanding the difference between a conservative-democrat and a liberal-republican. Do they exist? I have a friend in the northeast who says she is a "conservative republican", however she is in favor of abortion and gay marriage. She considers herself a republican and votes republican, I think it is mainly for financial reasons. She said they pay enough $ in taxes and will not vote for a dem because they don't want to pay any more. Would this be a "fiscal conservative"? At the same time one of my best friends was raised as a democrat. Her dad has been in congress for nearly 20 years and they are much more "conservative" than my friend from New England who calls herself a conservative republican. While he supports abortion, it is in cases of rape and when the mothers health is in question. It seems he is more "conservative" than my friend who thinks anybody and everybody should be able to have an abortion just because.

Anyway, in your professional opinion, what is the difference between a Liberal Republican and a Conservative Democrat??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 09:16 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseFullaBoys View Post
To all of you political scientist types. I need help on understanding the difference between a conservative-democrat and a liberal-republican. Do they exist? I have a friend in the northeast who says she is a "conservative republican", however she is in favor of abortion and gay marriage. She considers herself a republican and votes republican, I think it is mainly for financial reasons. She said they pay enough $ in taxes and will not vote for a dem because they don't want to pay any more. Would this be a "fiscal conservative"? At the same time one of my best friends was raised as a democrat. Her dad has been in congress for nearly 20 years and they are much more "conservative" than my friend from New England who calls herself a conservative republican. While he supports abortion, it is in cases of rape and when the mothers health is in question. It seems he is more "conservative" than my friend who thinks anybody and everybody should be able to have an abortion just because.

Anyway, in your professional opinion, what is the difference between a Liberal Republican and a Conservative Democrat??

Maybe your first friend doesn't realize how much of a Democrat she is? I know someone who voted Republican for 30 years just because that's what his family DID....he took one of those online tests to find out what you really are and to his surprise found out that his TRUE beliefs made him a Democrat. YOUR friend IS a Republican, one who is pro-choice, believes in equal rights but is doing well financially so votes Repub.

Your second friend isn't necessarily conservative..

ONE issue does not a Democrat nor Republican make.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:31 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,974,649 times
LOL, this is a fun thread--I hope more people give you answers, love to hear what they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections