Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 03:48 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,157,105 times

Advertisements

Is it because you think your candidate is the best choice, or because you're terrified that "they" might win?

This isn't about any gaffe, scandal, or otherwise trivial crap that so many seem to care about. I want to know if you really support the person you're voting for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 03:51 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Is it because you think your candidate is the best choice, or because you're terrified that "they" might win?

This isn't about any gaffe, scandal, or otherwise trivial crap that so many seem to care about. I want to know if you really support the person you're voting for.
I "kind of" support Barr...but Id fully support Paul if he was still running.

I think Obama and McCain are scary options, with Obama being slightly more scary...but like I said, no win either way.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:55 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,062,530 times
Good luck with your thread, although I doubt you will have much success with it.

Simply put, I'm voting for Obama because he was right on Iraq and Afghanistan, and has an political-economic position which I think is vital if the US is to succeed in a 21st century economy.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:59 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,243 times
I was just about to post the same type of question. Thank you. Some of what is being said, by both sides, is so downright cruel and ugly that I would hate to meet these people on the streets. It is scary that some of these posters are actually adults out in our society who might have children of their own and who might even hold responsible positions.

Since this is a political forum, I think it would be more beneficial and civil to just discuss why we ARE voting for our candidate, or why we can't decide. The mudslinging doesn't get anyone anywhere.

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:

I've gotten the impression this forum is just for fun. Or letting off steam, I guess. So, since it's a game, people "pick a side" and then get caught up in "winning" without really stopping to think about if they really mean what they're saying. Or if they still like that person, as time goes by. Because the rules of the game see to be once you pick a side, you stick with it.

Like when the democrat campaign manager in Arkansas was murdered. People said all kinds of hateful things within minutes of the announcement that he had died. I'm sure they didn't really mean to be so hateful. I'm sure they wouldn't go to the man's funeral and say things like that. But they were caught up in the game, and they felt their team had won because there was one less dem in the world. They're really just playing a game--like dodgeball, where the object is to knock people down as fast as you can.

Last edited by normie; 09-01-2008 at 04:08 PM..

1,827 posts, read 2,588,845 times
Quote:

Young Grasshopper, the answer is exactly 30 seconds into the video.
YouTube - Surf's Up, Spicoli

Old 09-01-2008, 04:00 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,157,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
Good luck with your thread, although I doubt you will have much success with it.
This election is more of a circus than Ringling Bros. What bothers me the most, is that many, unlike you, cannot really say why they support a certain candidate. They can only say why they don't like the other candidate. It's time to stop this. Electing either of these candidates will only prolong the divisions.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:04 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,934 times
I posted something like this a few days ago.

I admire Obama for a lot of stuff that he's accomplished in his personal life, but I'm not voting for him.

I think people need to give honor to where it's due.
He went from food stamps to Harvard.

There is a good reason to have food stamps/welfare, but 99.99% of the people who use it abuse it.

Quote:
This election is more of a circus than Ringling Bros. What bothers me the most, is that many, unlike you, cannot really say why they support a certain candidate. They can only say why they don't like the other candidate. It's time to stop this. Electing either of these candidates will only prolong the divisions.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:24 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,588,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post

I think people need to give honor to where it's due.
He went from food stamps to Harvard.

There is a good reason to have food stamps/welfare, but 99.99% of the people who use it abuse it.

He claims he was on food stamp, was he really? Certainly not in Indonesia or with racist typical white granny. Call me a skeptic, I don't buy it. He also claimed he was a product of the Selma march, MAJOR LEAGUE lie on that one.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:25 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,728,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
Young Grasshopper, the answer is exactly 30 seconds into the video.
YouTube - Surf's Up, Spicoli
priceless, best laugh I had all day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections