Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 06:46 PM

532 posts, read 1,232,844 times

Advertisements

Presidents main influence would relate to government spending.

If they control it and keep it low, the dollar will strengthen which in itself gives people more purchasing power.

If they spend recklessly, the dollar weakens and education, health care, energy ect all seem to be getting very expensive.

Obama will be more like Bush when it comes to spending. Obama talks about how he will spend the money when he gets the checkbook. Mccain is the only one talking about stopping wasteful spending
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 06:49 PM

532 posts, read 1,232,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Well, roads don't pave themselves. Our tax dollars pay for the priviledge to live in a country that doesn't look like a Mexican border town! I, for one, and happy I live in a relatively safe country with police/fire protection, a strong military, solid infrastructure (watch out for those MN bridges though!), and a country where I can safely drive from coast to coast.

If you don't want to pay a single tax, I guess you need to move to an uncharted island somewhere. Personally, I'm not concerned with how much I pay in taxes - I'm concerned with what I can do with what's left in my paycheck after taxes!

It appears you're not understanding that much of this money is borrowed. Remember the Soviet Union collapsed because they went broke, not because they were evil

Old 09-04-2008, 07:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,206,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe107 View Post
Presidents main influence would relate to government spending.

If they control it and keep it low, the dollar will strengthen which in itself gives people more purchasing power.

If they spend recklessly, the dollar weakens and education, health care, energy ect all seem to be getting very expensive.

Obama will be more like Bush when it comes to spending. Obama talks about how he will spend the money when he gets the checkbook. Mccain is the only one talking about stopping wasteful spending
Except for the billions spent in Iraq...

Old 09-04-2008, 07:09 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,701,611 times
Default want a change

Right after the Dem's bull convention most of my family decided to go with McCain. After hearing the fake obama speech they changed their minds. Who wants another 8 years of horror?Not me, i want a change, i'm voting for McCain /Palin.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:03 AM

68,348 posts, read 54,477,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
On one hand, I agree with the Democrats on freedom of choice for women, better sex education, gay/lesbian marriage, and things of that nature. But I HATE the thought of paying more taxes to support more public programs for which I would never qualify and just can't understand why they aren't better regulated to stop the abuse.

Republicans claim they're for less government, fiscal responsibility, and one of Bush's claims was he didn't believe the military should be used for nation building.

Seven + years down the road of this Republican's (mis)eadership government's bigger than ever, he's been spending like a drunken sailor, and the military's certainly being used in a lame attempt at nation building.

WHY is there any reason to believe their continual fear mongering that electing a Democrat will result in higher taxes for working people? They've proven time and time again they depend on baseless fear-mongering and promises never kept. ENOUGH!

Old 09-05-2008, 06:11 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,955,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I've commented back and forth for several months on the board. I was (and still am) an avid Hillary supporter. She's middle of the road enough for me to really get behind. Now that it's down to the actual nominees and their VP choices, I am completely and totally at a loss. On one hand, I agree with the Democrats on freedom of choice for women, better sex education, gay/lesbian marriage, and things of that nature. But I HATE the thought of paying more taxes to support more public programs for which I would never qualify and just can't understand why they aren't better regulated to stop the abuse. If I can get up and go to work everyday, others can too. Even if they have to work at WalMart or McDonalds. A job is a job. I don't mind helping those who really need it but my definition differs greatly from the Democrats. I really don't care for Palin's anti sex education and anti abortion stance at all. I commend her for acheiving all she has but she makes the Repub ticket too conservative for me. There are other issues I'm torn on but education, right to choose, and the economy are the biggies for me. Neither are going to be able to pull everyone out of Iraq lickety split so that is secondary to me.

I know I can write someone in and may just do that but in my mind it's a waste of a vote. Right now it's the only way I can see that I wouldn't be disgusted with myself on Election Day. Any one else in the same boat?
I'm sure others have probably already commented on this (I haven't read the whole thread), but in regards to Obama's tax plan, please go to his website and read his economic and tax plan. Unless you are making $250K plus a year, you will benefit more from Obama's tax plan than from John McCain's tax plan.
Personally, I would just like to see my tax dollars spent more wisely and I feel that Obama will be a better steward of my money than McCain will be.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:27 AM

939 posts, read 2,382,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe107 View Post

With all due respect, Joe, have you been to Obama's website or listened to any of his speeches? He has stated in numerous ways, in numerous venues, that he plans to cut government waste and balance the budget. Whether Obama, or McCain for that matter, keeps his promise about cutting wasteful spending remains to be seen, but the fact is, he said it, and he's said it from the beginning. One can introduce new programs and simultaneously have ideas about how those programs can be implemented without incurring additional debt. Again, will it happen if Obama is elected? Remains to be seen, but to say he's not talking about it is disingenuous.

Last edited by Paige65; 09-05-2008 at 06:36 AM..

Old 09-05-2008, 06:32 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,588,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
How this is can even be a choice is beyond logic.

We have one of the worst candidates in the history of politics who chose a pretty Mayor of a town of 8000 people and who has been governor of a state with a population the size of Austin Texas for 20 months, and somehow these two are what is best for America?

Absolutely incredible. Must be the dumbing down of America
Well they have done studies. Intelligent people tend to vote for Obama while people with less intelligence tend to vote for McCain. It all makes sense because less intelligent people vote based on emotions "Oh McCain is a war hero, he suffered so he deserves to be president" "Palin is pretty" "her speeched grabbed me" "Palin is a woman". Intelligent people look at the issues and they know what it takes for this country to move in a new direction. Intelligent people ignore all the irrelevant emotional rhetoric.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:43 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,955,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
Well they have done studies. Intelligent people tend to vote for Obama while people with less intelligence tend to vote for McCain. It all makes sense because less intelligent people vote based on emotions "Oh McCain is a war hero, he suffered so he deserves to be president" "Palin is pretty" "her speeched grabbed me" "Palin is a woman". Intelligent people look at the issues and they know what it takes for this country to move in a new direction. Intelligent people ignore all the irrelevant emotional rhetoric.
I hate to read stuff like this. Even though I know there is probably a lot of truth to it, I have such a hard time believing that people are really that simple minded. I actually think that it has to do with a lot of voter apathy, people just don't believe the words that politicians say, so they go with their gut and try to make decisions based on the candidate's personality. Unfortunately, the result is what we have had over the past 8 years, but I honestly hope that people are slowly (very slowly) starting to wake up and see that voting for President is not a popularity contest and voting for someone who you can "relate to" is not the way to go.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:16 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,127,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
ABSOLUTELY! The only thing I would add is that for me, anyone who views the war in Iraq as some kind of "divine mission" has alienated themselves from me forever. Nothing scares me more than an evangelical/fundamentalist or whatever the label is nowadays, in high office.

The only candidate of the Top Four that I support and agree with on 80% or more of ALL the issues is the same one I was behind from Day One, and that's Joe Biden. If neither he nor Hillary had been picked as VP, my choice on Nov 5th would be to either write in Joe Biden's name or to stay home. As it is, I am as ambivalent as you are about what to do, but will most likely vote Democratic this year (I'm an Independent) simply because Biden is on the ticket and thus it makes no sense to write him in under those circumstances.
I could have written this post exactly!! My jaw hit the floor when I heard the Iraq war was the "will of God". I really do not believe that my God of love and peace works that way. I also will never be able to understand how a rabid pro-lifer can be so cavalier about life in general. The two seem to be at odds with each other.
And austinsmom, you aren't alone at all. We are having this discussion right now on my mommy board and so many of us feel the same way. It's unfortunate that we are left with these two choices and I guess it will come down to the lesser of two evils for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections