Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 04:27 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,792,165 times

Advertisements

Barrack Obama should heed this advice and use Ronald Wilson Reagan to help him out. Tomorrow a new unemployment number will come out. Today the rate is 5.7%. I think it will go up tomorrow. In fact I would not be at all surprised to see it hit 6% in the October report which comes out a month from tomorrow. And we have 2 more sets of inflation numbers that will come out before Election Day which, combined, will show us we are in a period of "stagflation". I know that is a new word to you who are under 35 but for those of us who have less than fond memories of the Nixon-Ford-Carter economy, we know what it means.
Reagan was very sucessful at using these numbers to constantly beat Jimmy Carter and the Democrats over the head with a thing called "The Misery Index" where he took inflation and added it to unemployment and came up with the misery index. He would constantly talk about "the misery index" and then follow it up with "are you better off today than you were 4 years ago?"
Obama should dig all that old video of Reagan out and use it in TV ads against the Republicans. That is what I would do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 10:53 PM

835 posts, read 1,323,675 times
You do know that 6% is considered full employment don't you? (The number is 6.1% as released by the nytimes.)
You do know that our economy grew by 3.3% last quarter, .09% the quarter before and 4.3% the one prior. Your post shows your lack of understanding. The mortgage crisis caused by Clinton has led the way to this short lived issue. The energy crisis that has been allowed to continue under the democratic lead congress has done its fair share to hurt the travel industry. Bush and his tax cuts have kept the economy growing. Clinton took office with a 3.9% rate and raised it to 5.2% before leaving. Reagan took over with a rate of 7.8% and left with a rate of 5.5%.
Intrest rates when Reagan took office were 13-17%!
Under Bush 3-7%.
Here are a couple of charts for you to prove how wrong you are.

Bush is better than Clinton in jobs and keeping folks out of poverty!

Maybe Obama should give up at this point as he has no energy plan, he wants to raise taxes on SBO's to above 50% (the US already has the second highest corp. taxes behind only Japan who is lowering theirs as I post) that will send a mass exodus of companies and jobs elsewhere. Obama will destroy this country and American's won't vote for him as evidence in the Rasmussen polls with no bounce from his $120 million hollywood fictional show.

"1) For the 17th consecutive year, the average rate of corporate taxes in non-U.S. countries fell while the U.S. corporate tax rate stayed the same. As a result, the overall U.S. corporate tax rate is now 50 percent higher than the OECD average.
2) The United States continues to have the second-highest combined federal-state corporate tax rate among industrialized countries at 39.3 percent"
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...55C0A9659C8B63
U.S. Corporate Taxes: Still Second-Highest on Planet Earth - Capital Commerce (usnews.com)

Old 09-04-2008, 10:59 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,473,857 times
artifice - don't bother explaining macro economics to a Democrat. It takes too many brain cells to process logical, economic based information so it might kill 'em.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
artifice - don't bother explaining macro economics to a Democrat. It takes too many brain cells to process logical, economic based information so it might kill 'em.
I just don't understand how people don't get it...I just can't help myself. You are correct and I should listen! The sad thing is I never did well in econ. as my teacher tried to tell me I didn't need anything, I just wanted things...ya like some teenage idiot is gonna buy into that! Of course I now get his point.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:04 PM

117 posts, read 149,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifice View Post
GOP NeoCon delusions and propaganda never cease. Hermann Goering would be proud.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeXSvegas View Post
GOP NeoCon delusions and propaganda never cease. Hermann Goering would be proud.

Since when did facts become propaganda?

Offer up your own charts and links as I did otherwise you are full of unintelligible dribble.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:20 PM

687 posts, read 1,948,362 times
Quote:
You do know that 6% is considered full employment don't you? (The number is 6.1% as released by the nytimes.)
You do know that our economy grew by 3.3% last quarter, .09% the quarter before and 4.3% the one prior. Your post shows your lack of understanding. The mortgage crisis caused by Clinton has led the way to this short lived issue. The energy crisis that has been allowed to continue under the democratic lead congress has done its fair share to hurt the travel industry. Bush and his tax cuts have kept the economy growing. Clinton took office with a 3.9% rate and raised it to 5.2% before leaving. Reagan took over with a rate of 7.8% and left with a rate of 5.5%.
Intrest rates when Reagan took office were 13-17%!
Under Bush 3-7%.
Here are a couple of charts for you to prove how wrong you are.

Maybe Obama should give up at this point as he has no energy plan, he wants to raise taxes on SBO's to above 50% (the US already has the second highest corp. taxes behind only Japan who is lowering theirs as I post) that will send a mass exodus of companies and jobs elsewhere. Obama will destroy this country and American's won't vote for him as evidence in the Rasmussen polls with no bounce from his $120 million hollywood fictional show.

"1) For the 17th consecutive year, the average rate of corporate taxes in non-U.S. countries fell while the U.S. corporate tax rate stayed the same. As a result, the overall U.S. corporate tax rate is now 50 percent higher than the OECD average.
2) The United States continues to have the second-highest combined federal-state corporate tax rate among industrialized countries at 39.3 percent"
Unemployment Rate Rises To a 9-Year High of 6.1% - New York Times
U.S. Corporate Taxes: Still Second-Highest on Planet Earth - Capital Commerce (usnews.com)
I'm no expert, but according to this site Clinton entered office with a 7.3% unemployment rate. When he left? 3.9%.

The United States Unemployment Rate (http://www.miseryindex.us/urbymonth.asp?StartYear=1992-01&EndYear=2008-07&submit1=Create+Report - broken link)

I also keep looking at your second chart and it actually seems to indicate the percentage of people below the povery line rose and steadied during the current administration. If I'm missing something (I am a little tired), let me know.

Carry on!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:22 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,473,857 times
Quote:
I just don't understand how people don't get it...I just can't help myself. You are correct and I should listen! The sad thing is I never did well in econ. as my teacher tried to tell me I didn't need anything, I just wanted things...ya like some teenage idiot is gonna buy into that! Of course I now get his point.
I loved economics - but it's a challenging subject. I commend you for trying... you are WAY ahead of most liberals. I personally don't see how anyone can have an opinion on taxation/unemployment rate/outsourcing/unions... basically any politically ideology without SOME level of basic economic concepts. Yet, on these political forums thick with hippies... such higher level of thinking could hurt their one or two flickering brain cells. Hostility is likely and I thought I'd save you the grief of finding that out.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:37 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,021,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Barrack Obama should heed this advice and use Ronald Wilson Reagan to help him out. Tomorrow a new unemployment number will come out. Today the rate is 5.7%. I think it will go up tomorrow. In fact I would not be at all surprised to see it hit 6% in the October report which comes out a month from tomorrow. And we have 2 more sets of inflation numbers that will come out before Election Day which, combined, will show us we are in a period of "stagflation". I know that is a new word to you who are under 35 but for those of us who have less than fond memories of the Nixon-Ford-Carter economy, we know what it means.
Reagan was very sucessful at using these numbers to constantly beat Jimmy Carter and the Democrats over the head with a thing called "The Misery Index" where he took inflation and added it to unemployment and came up with the misery index. He would constantly talk about "the misery index" and then follow it up with "are you better off today than you were 4 years ago?"
Obama should dig all that old video of Reagan out and use it in TV ads against the Republicans. That is what I would do!
thank you kev k for bringing that up. I remember when Reagan looked right into the camera and asked us that in one of the debates with mondale. i pretty much hate reagan, but man he sure could communicate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections