Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:30 AM

267 posts, read 1,142,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Actually, this Obamafem believes that it's fine for moms to work. But a balance between personal and professional is integral to being successful on both fronts.

If I had a special needs infant or a pregnant teenager I would certainly not be pursuing a position that includes a great deal of responsibility to millions of Americans. I would make my family- my CHILDREN that I gave birth to- my primary priority.

Regardless of where my already successful career has and will take me, my number one priority has and will remain the well being and needs of my children.

Palin and her Family Values platform is good lip service but she sure doesn't walk the walk.

While I understand that your children are your priority - and mine as well, however, there are people that put the greater need of the country above their own needs. No man loves his children any more than my husband - but he willingly puts his life on the line for this country every day to save the lives of innocent people.

If everyone had the me and mine first mentality, then we would have no troops, no policemen or firefighters - no real heros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

1,044 posts, read 1,955,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
And daddys?????

Careful this is a trick question....
Like I said, I'm no feminist. A mother's bond with a child is different than a father's. Both parents should be involved, but I feel that the mother is the foundation of the family and that the overall well being of the family is more reliant on the mother's attention. Given the fact that she has five! children I can't imagine that she would be able to devote enough time or energy into her role as a mother given the vigorous demands of the office of VP.

3,885 posts, read 8,127,900 times
The threads like these are funny to me, considering that a few months ago, many of the more conservative bent on here were giving us a hard time if we were working moms. I even seem to remember that daycare was child abuse. My, how the tides have changed with the nominations.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:38 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,227,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
Where did I fall off the beam? What happened? I try to keep up with this stuff but I now read from ardent feminists that mothers of young children should stay home and out of the workforce?! Of course, Pelosi can proudly pose with pics of her young grandkids – as she goes to work thousands of miles away but Palin must stay home; not being able to work blocks away from her house? Is the rationale that mothers work to improve the lives of their children still valid? Are grandmothers -- the type that raised Obama as a young man; not important to young child's lives? Should women in 2008 wear shoes or stay barefoot? Confusing stuff but. . . .

We've come a looong way baby!
Really? This is what you have got from the threads? What I have understood is that people think it is inapporopriate for a person with a large family with lots of special issues going on (infant with Downs/ pregnant teen) to be running for a position running this country whether they are male or female.

What has actually really surprised me is all the republicans coming out and twisting people's words to try and make it sound like dems are sexist. Ridiculous and plain silly.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:38 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,832,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
Like I said, I'm no feminist. A mother's bond with a child is different than a father's. Both parents should be involved, but I feel that the mother is the foundation of the family and that the overall well being of the family is more reliant on the mother's attention. Given the fact that she has five! children I can't imagine that she would be able to devote enough time or energy into her role as a mother given the vigorous demands of the office of VP.
Careful. . . for all intent and purpose your Messiah has no mother. Twisted web, no?

Old 09-05-2008, 08:41 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,227,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
The threads like these are funny to me, considering that a few months ago, many of the more conservative bent on here were giving us a hard time if we were working moms. I even seem to remember that daycare was child abuse. My, how the tides have changed with the nominations.
This is the flip side as well. I have read threads like that too - what a change around now that it suits them better!!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:43 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,045,784 times
Quote:
Where did I fall off the beam? What happened? I try to keep up with this stuff but I now read from ardent feminists that mothers of young children should stay home and out of the workforce?! Of course, Pelosi can proudly pose with pics of her young grandkids – as she goes to work thousands of miles away but Palin must stay home; not being able to work blocks away from her house? Is the rationale that mothers work to improve the lives of their children still valid? Are grandmothers -- the type that raised Obama as a young man; not important to young child's lives? Should women in 2008 wear shoes or stay barefoot? Confusing stuff but. . . .

We've come a looong way baby!
Once again, I worked outside the home for 20 years, through two pregnancies and through the raising of one child nearly to adulthood, and a second child to the age of two when we realized he had special needs and would need one of us to stay home in order to take him to his many, many therapies and classes. (We since had a third who has only a speech delay--unbelievably lightweight and mild by comparison as far as the amount of EI programs goes. I mean seriously, this is nothing.)

The only reason I stay home, and not my husband, is that although we both found jobs quickly upon our cross-country move, his job paid much more. If mine had paid more, he would be the one at home.

All that said, reducing it to "some people just want Sarah barefoot and pregnant" is a deliberate oversimplification. There is a special needs child involved here. That has feuled much of the debate about one parent (EITHER parent) having an amazingly intensive, high-stress, frequently away from home (and for long periods of time) job like VP and potential president of the U.S.

You can either see that, and call it what it is, or you can continue trying to fuel all this anger; it seems like the latter is more fun to some people.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:44 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,866,715 times
As a woman who has been both a working mom and a stay at home mom, I can say one thing for sure, my kids have always come first. You guys make it sound like she is taking a job at Target... This is the VP of the United States. It's no ordinary job and there is no way she will be able to put her kids first.

In summary, I have no respect for a woman whose love of power overrides her love for her kids.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:45 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,109,552 times
it's love of country, something many of you can't understand.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:46 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,955,796 times
Quote:
Careful. . . for all intent and purpose your Messiah has no mother. Twisted web, no?
Messiah?? Oh you mean Obama?? Funny, very original.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections