Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 07:31 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,404 times

Advertisements

Where did I fall off the beam? What happened? I try to keep up with this stuff but I now read from ardent feminists that mothers of young children should stay home and out of the workforce?! Of course, Pelosi can proudly pose with pics of her young grandkids – as she goes to work thousands of miles away but Palin must stay home; not being able to work blocks away from her house? Is the rationale that mothers work to improve the lives of their children still valid? Are grandmothers -- the type that raised Obama as a young man; not important to young child's lives? Should women in 2008 wear shoes or stay barefoot? Confusing stuff but. . . .

We've come a looong way baby!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 07:36 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
From what I have been able to garner from the obamafems, is that a woman can work outside the home and have young children....just as long as your name isn't sarah palin and/or you are a republican

Old 09-05-2008, 07:40 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,839,258 times
Actually, this Obamafem believes that it's fine for moms to work. But a balance between personal and professional is integral to being successful on both fronts.

If I had a special needs infant or a pregnant teenager I would certainly not be pursuing a position that includes a great deal of responsibility to millions of Americans. I would make my family- my CHILDREN that I gave birth to- my primary priority.

Regardless of where my already successful career has and will take me, my number one priority has and will remain the well being and needs of my children.

Palin and her Family Values platform is good lip service but she sure doesn't walk the walk.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:40 AM

317 posts, read 496,596 times
Obama has two little girls but nobody ever asks whether or not he can be a good father if he gets elected president. Those questions are reserved only for Palin if she gets elected VP.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:44 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,108,130 times
Just so you know, GLoria Steinem's recent article about Palin makes it very clear that only liberal women count in today's world. Sure had the rest of us fooled all these years. What a hypocrite!

Old 09-05-2008, 07:46 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,722 times
I think after all these years, we've found out that you "can't have it all". If you have a career (especially as VP or president!), it will suffer, or your children will suffer, depending on where you put your energy. She just gave birth to a special needs child.

So, that's her choice - she apparently puts her career first. She's going to be traveling from now on for the next two months, and possibly the next four years. I imagine her husband will be the stay-at-home Dad.

Usually, you can't do both, and especially if you're leader of the free world!!

Old 09-05-2008, 07:50 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
From what I have been able to garner from the obamafems, is that a woman can work outside the home and have young children....just as long as your name isn't sarah palin and/or you are a republican
You appear to be suggesting that feminism isn't based on improving and cherishing women's rise to full equality but a simple political movement wrapped around such trivialities as domestic energy policy? A woman may work outside the home if she maintains correct tire pressures for the commute and doesn't overly cling to her religion? Mothers involved in important research should stay home if believing we should increase our domestic supply of oil?

No wonder some of us men have historically struggled with the feminist movement . . . 2008 is bringing back the same disappointment as when learning all women burning bras was just an visual unsupported by fact.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:52 AM

So, if the down baby was 5 years old...could she work outside the home then? What about 15? 20? 30?
Seriously, do any of you actually know any down syndromed children (I know they are getting rarer as they are being aborted more and more)? They are not that much different then any other child. They develop more slowly. While some have heart conditions, those can be taken care of.

Anyways, I would love to know why nobody ever wondered what edwards would do if he was elected potus and elizebeth succumbed to her cancer, leaving small children behind. That was not an issue, it was never raised. Why is that?

Old 09-05-2008, 07:56 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,527,116 times
Actually it was raised. Over and over again. Have you forgotton? Elizabeth decided for them. It was her decision he go ahead and run.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
You appear to be suggesting that feminism isn't based on improving and cherishing women's rise to full equality but a simple political movement wrapped around such trivialities as domestic energy policy? A woman may work outside the home if she maintains correct tire pressures for the commute and doesn't overly cling to her religion? Mothers involved in important research should stay home if believing we should increase our domestic supply of oil?

No wonder some of us men have historically struggled with the feminist movement . . . 2008 is bringing back the same disappointment as when learning all women burning bras was just an visual unsupported by fact.
I am suggesting that the feminist movement was flawed by political dogma from the start. Feminism means marching in goose step with NOW and the dnc. Abortion, check! Working outside the home, check! Deviate from the political agenda and you become the ant-feminist, dare I say a 'june cleaver'.
If sarah palin was obamas running mate, make no mistake....there would be no opposition to any of these 'concerns' the dems have about her. None. And that to me, is disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections