Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:47 AM

286 posts, read 805,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
You appear to be suggesting that feminism isn't based on improving and cherishing women's rise to full equality but a simple political movement wrapped around such trivialities as domestic energy policy? A woman may work outside the home if she maintains correct tire pressures for the commute and doesn't overly cling to her religion? Mothers involved in important research should stay home if believing we should increase our domestic supply of oil?

No wonder some of us men have historically struggled with the feminist movement . . . 2008 is bringing back the same disappointment as when learning all women burning bras was just an visual unsupported by fact.

Wait, that wasn't real? So a group of woman never started running around topless while burning thier bras?

Man, I'm a little disappointed....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 08:48 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,253,715 times
I am not anti-feminist, anti-woman because I do not believe Sarah Palin would make a good VP. It has nothing to do with her sex at all...it has to do with her ability! If she were the right woman there wouldn't be such an outcry. If she were a man who is against pro-choice in any circumstance, wanted to ban books, was under investigation, and so on and so on....that person would still be a bad choice.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:52 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,225,451 times
Brilliant clip which really does a great job of showing the republican hypocracy on this:

Sarah Palin Gender Card | The Daily Show | Comedy Central

Absolutely hillarious for some of us.... and quite embarassing for others I would imagine.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:03 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,031,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
Messiah?? Oh you mean Obama?? Funny, very original.
Hang in there, it gets way better than this. They start calling us "freaks" and Muslims next.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:18 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,613,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Brilliant clip which really does a great job of showing the republican hypocracy on this:

Sarah Palin Gender Card | The Daily Show | Comedy Central

Absolutely hillarious for some of us.... and quite embarassing for others I would imagine.

This clip is funny, I saw it earlier. I think both sides do this, they say one thing and then something happens and then their tune changes. Just like the parents who bash gays their whole life only to find out their son is gay, then their tune changes. Just the way it goes.

As far as the Jamie Spears and Bristol. Teen pregnancy is wrong no matter what, whether you are Spears, Bristol, the preacher's daughter, a girl in the midwest, part of black family, white family, etc. Unfortuneately, it's happening whether we like it or not. I think it's time to bring back the stigma and stop celebrating it so much, stop putting these unwed, teenage mom's on the cover of magazines with their little bundles of joy. And this should also include the adult women who do this.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:23 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,955,129 times
Yes, exactly. Stigma, judgement, these are good tools to keep kids from trying to be little adults, it is not cool to be a 17 year old mom no matter who you are.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:38 AM

552 posts, read 1,074,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
it's love of country, something many of you can't understand.
Nationalism (some may know this as "patriotism") is not a virtue.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:44 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,167,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
As a woman who has been both a working mom and a stay at home mom, I can say one thing for sure, my kids have always come first. You guys make it sound like she is taking a job at Target... This is the VP of the United States. It's no ordinary job and there is no way she will be able to put her kids first.

In summary, I have no respect for a woman whose love of power overrides her love for her kids.

"""I have no respect for a woman whose love of power overrides her love for her kids"""

Why doesn't that apply to men????

Old 09-05-2008, 09:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times
Who are we to judge? That is what gets me. What makes any of us able to judge what is going on in someone else's home?

Maybe I am fully capable of raising 5 kids, running a company and having a happy and ordered home life, kids that thrive and are stable and a marriage that works.

Why do women feel it is necessary to judge each other and apply their standards to how someone else is living her life?

I do not get it! The left has encouraged women to "be all they can be" but only if it fits a narrow definition, I guess! How crazy!!!

Used to be, SAHM's were castigated and condescended to b/c they did not have a CAREER!!! Then the cause du jour was - all women should work and day care is great!!! Now it is - well . . .SOME women can do it all but only if they are liberal Feminists.

HELLO? This is nuts.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:46 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,225,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
This clip is funny, I saw it earlier. I think both sides do this, they say one thing and then something happens and then their tune changes. Just like the parents who bash gays their whole life only to find out their son is gay, then their tune changes. Just the way it goes.

As far as the Jamie Spears and Bristol. Teen pregnancy is wrong no matter what, whether you are Spears, Bristol, the preacher's daughter, a girl in the midwest, part of black family, white family, etc. Unfortuneately, it's happening whether we like it or not. I think it's time to bring back the stigma and stop celebrating it so much, stop putting these unwed, teenage mom's on the cover of magazines with their little bundles of joy. And this should also include the adult women who do this.
You see, I don't think that stigma and judgement are the way to stop teen pregnancy. I think sex education is. Access to birth control and information. Preaching abstience as the whole solution as Palin seems to, is not the answer IMHO.

I agree this happens up to a point on both sides, but it really seems to be happening an awful lot in the republican side at the minute - even on these boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections