Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 05:32 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,662,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In a statement Friday, Westmoreland - who was born in 1950 and raised in the segregated South - said he didn't know that "uppity" was commonly used as a derogatory term for blacks seeking equal treatment. Instead, he referred to the dictionary definition of the word as describing someone who is haughty, snobbish or has inflated self-esteem
ROTFL......... what a crock! Anyone who has grown up in the south knows why that word is used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 05:36 PM

438 posts, read 965,791 times
windfall profits for everyone in Alaska at the expense of the oil companies... but wait. senator mcCANT is against this unless of course it is being done by the state of his running mate..Obama wants to do this and mcCANT and his loons deride him for it
tsk tsk tsk senator where is this change you speak of?!
snippy snip
Palin's state reaps the windfall profits McCain decries
Welcome to the People's Republic of Alaska, where every resident this year will get a $3,200 payout, thanks in no small measure to the efforts of Sarah Palin, the state's Republican governor. That's $22,400 for a family of seven, like Palin's. Since 1982, the Alaska Permanent Fund, which invests oil revenues from state lands, has paid out a dividend on invested oil loot to everyone who has been in the state for a year. But Palin upped the ante by joining with Democrats and some recalcitrant Republican state legislators to share in oil company windfall profits, further fattening state tax revenue and permitting an additional payout in tax funds to residents.
McCain derided Obama's call for the windfall profits tax, saying it would "increase our dependence on foreign oil and hinder exactly the same kind of domestic exploration and production we need." I am far more interested in how McCain handles the contradiction between his and Palin's position on windfall oil profits than whether he properly vetted her on her family values commitment to the abstinence-only teenage sex education program.
McCain derided Obama's call for the windfall profits tax, saying it would "increase our dependence on foreign oil and hinder exactly the same kind of domestic exploration and production we need." I am far more interested in how McCain handles the contradiction between his and Palin's position on windfall oil profits than whether he properly vetted her on her family values commitment to the abstinence-only teenage sex education program.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
ROTFL......... what a crock! Anyone who has grown up in the south knows why that word is used.
as I am sure the "good" senator mcCANT would say or maybe this maniac in Georgia... spoken by Gable, as Rhett Butler, in his last words to Scarlett O'Hara Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn

LOL

Old 09-05-2008, 05:39 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,861,837 times
Why is it okay for you to call President Bush "chimp", but not me to call Barry "Curious George"?

Obama looks more like Curious George than Mr. Bush looks like a chimp. Don't you agree?

Old 09-05-2008, 05:44 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,662,716 times
Quote:
as I am sure the "good" senator mcCANT would say or maybe this maniac in Georgia... spoken by Gable, as Rhett Butler, in his last words to Scarlett O'Hara Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn
LOL....... I hope the good people of Georgia go after him for being such an idiot!

Old 09-05-2008, 05:45 PM

More on senator mcCANT, the kind of change he plans to bring I guess
snippy snip
John McCain, Hypocrite
the article offers numerous sources from AP articles that are not available. Not at least the noted mcCANT fan took over the ap Ron Fournier.............
its from 2005 but once again shows more of the same from senator mcCANT

Now, McCain is back at the same old game, this time on behalf of Cablevision and its campaign for an "a la carte" provision, which would allow cable customers to pick the channels they want rather than buy packages of channels. McCain has continued to campaign for this provision even after the independent General Accounting Office -- in a study requested by McCain himself -- concluded that the a la carte provision would considerably raise cable rates for consumers. This is a neat hat trick by McCain: he adds another "reformist" feather to his cap by promoting a populist-sounding measure which, in fact, benefits industry and costs the consumer a packet. And, at the same time he takes money from Cablevision in the form of contributions to a pet group of the Senator's which furthers McCain's presidential ambitions.
The AP investigation found that McCain's assiduous services to Cablevision included "letting its CEO testify before his Senate committee, writing a letter of support to the Federal Communication Commission, and asking other cable companies to support so-called a la carte pricing." Davis solicited the first of two $100,00 installments Cablevision paid to McCain's pet Institute just "one week after [the conglomerate's chief, Charles] Dolan testified before McCain's Senate Commerce Committee in May 2003 in favor of a la carte pricing. And it wasn't until after Cablevision paid up that McCain intervened on behalf of the policy the company sought with the FCC.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:46 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,339,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfulou View Post
Senator McCANT, you cheated on your wife, leaving her for another woman. If it was wrong for Slick Willy to engage in this kind of behavior, what about you? Why are your supporters content with your behavior? Isn't divorce an abomination?
It is wrong but McCain did not lie under oath about it. Which is illegal. McCain also didn't engage in witness tampering and obstructing justice.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:52 PM

and here we go again on this lovely hurricane savaged day...
mcCANT and his claims on "no pork" as usual, LIES
where is the change you speak of senator mcCANT? is this the "change" you claim to bring to washington?
snippy snip with a video in the link too! I know how much some of you rePIGlicans just love multimedia stuff since your reading skills and spelling skills are lacking.
TruthNews.us » Blog Archive » McCain Lies About Grabbing Pork

And I’m proud to tell you, Chris, in 24 years as a member of Congress, I have never asked for nor received a single earmark or pork barrel project for my state and I guarantee you I’ll veto those bills. I’ll ask for the line item veto and I’ll veto them and I’ll make the authors of them famous.
McCain’s claim is false. In 2006, the senator teamed up with fellow Arizona senator Jon Kyl (R) to funnel $10 million toward the University of Arizona for an academic center named after the late Supreme Court Justice William Rehnquist. Even Arizona lawmaker, Rep. Jeff Flake (R), said he was planning to “lean against the measure.” The National Taxpayers Union, another traditional McCain ally, questioned why the senator was making federal taxpayers foot the bill for the center.
In 2003, McCain also slipped $14.3 million into a defense appropriations bill to
create a buffer zone around Luke Air Force Base in Arizona. As Roll Call reported in 2003, this project violated McCain’s own anti-pork rhetoric:

Old 09-06-2008, 12:55 PM

mcCANT's got some recent news too that I like to point out by his "people" the kind of "change" he plans to bring to washington??? paging mr davis!
this?
this?
don't worry dummies, john mcCANT has your back!!!
snippy snip
FOXNews.com - Transcript: McCain Campaign Manager Rick Davis on 'FOX News Sunday' - FOX News Sunday | Chris Wallace
DAVIS: Nothing misleading about it. Barack Obama voted for a budget resolution that would have increased taxes on people, families, making $42,000. What's misleading about that?
WALLACE: Well, in fact, it only would be single people making $42,000. It would be families making over $60,000. But Obama — as you say, he voted for a non-binding budget resolution that overall talked about doing away with the Bush tax cuts.
In fact, he says, that's not his tax plan, that he supports a middle-class tax cut. And I want to put something up on the screen. The non-partisan Tax Policy Center says someone making $37,000 a year under Obama's plan would get a tax cut of $892. Under McCain's plan, they get a tax cut of $113.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:58 PM

more change, a lovely one too. clearly senator mcCANT doesn't like black people or at the very least, their leaders. MLK was a liar and a cheat when it came to his wife too, he and mcCANT have something in common! Family values baby!!!
again, with a video!
snippy snip
Crooks and Liars » McCain Lies About His Support For MLK Jr. Day in Arizona
  • FACT: McCain Supported Republican AZ Governor’s Decision To Rescind MLK Holiday. ABC News reported, “In Arizona, a bill to recognize a holiday honoring MLK failed in the legislature, so then-Gov. Bruce Babbitt, a Democrat, declared one through executive order. In January 1987, the first act of Arizona’s new governor, Republican Evan Mecham, was to rescind the executive order by his predecessor to create an MLK holiday. Arizona’s stance became a national controversy. McCain backed the decision at the time.” [ABC News, 4/3/08]
  • FACT: McCain Supported Gov. Evan Mecham’s Decision In 1987 To Rescind Martin Luther King Jr. Day. As reported by the Philadelphia Inquirer, “In a vote likely to haunt him for the rest of his public career, McCain voted against 1983 legislation establishing the third Monday in January as the federal holiday marking King’s birthday. Back home in Arizona, he supported Gov. Evan Mecham’s decision in 1987 to rescind an executive order creating a state holiday for King, but later reversed his position.” [Philadelphia Inquirer, 6/16/08]
  • FACT: McCain Voted Against Creating Martin Luther King Holiday. In 1983, McCain voted against a motion to suspend the rules and pass a bill to designate the third Monday of every January as a federal holiday in honor of the late civil rights leader, the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. The motion passed 89-77. [HR 3706, Vote 289, 8/2/83; CQ 1983]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections