Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:23 AM

27,224 posts, read 46,923,923 times

Advertisements

I guess Obama will have sleepless nights right now with Palin doing so well.

I wouldn't be surprised if the announce that Biden has a "serious condition" (REGRET) and they are having Hillary as the new VP.

Obama is probable waking up and sweating so much and lsoing a lot of weight....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 08:26 AM

384 posts, read 1,675,701 times
If only......................I am still upset he didn't choose her--I'm sure it's too late now though................

Pam

Old 09-05-2008, 08:32 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,919,155 times
Palin has give one speech that was humorous, but didn't really say anything about the issues. Once people start seeing what a crazy right-wing nutjob she is, her appeal will disipate quickly. The American people DO NOT generally support:

1. Outlawing all abortion everywhere
2. Abstinence only "sex education"
3. "End times" extreme religious beliefs
4. Hunting wolves and bears from helicopters
5. Gutting all environmental and consumer protections

All of these Sara Palin-isms are to the right of the mainstream, and soon she will have to start answering questions in addition to making snarky comments.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:36 AM

552 posts, read 1,076,155 times
I see McCain has the illiterate's vote.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:41 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,258,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if the announce that Biden has a "serious condition" (REGRET) and they are having Hillary as the new VP.

She's doing well inside the GOP base...not outside where it counts.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:43 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,419,719 times
Hillary back on the ticket? Man, you are living in a DREAM world.

In regards to Palin. I've said before (before her speech at the convention) that I thought she was a good choice. Her purpose was to shore up McCain's weak support among the religious right and she will likely do that. Will she draw folks from the center and those disgruntled Hillary supporters (that are increasingly going for Obama)? Well, that remains to be seen. A lot of those folks seem to have been turned off by her "attack dog" approach so it's possible that she may be counterproductive in getting those folks on board (we'll have to see once she makes more appearances).

I would guess McCains plan is to have him court the center and Palin shore up the right.

In any event, there is no doubt that Palin has energized the right - which was something McCain BADLY needed to do since without the support of his base the campaign was lackluster to say the least. Now, finally, he's generating some enthusiasm and those folks on this board who for months now have been minimizing Obama's power of oratory are at last beginning to recognize that oratory is a powerful tool (now that they actually have someone who can actually generate enthusiasm through their speeches). The fact is, the power to motivate people is perhaps the greatest attribute any leader can possess. Obama can do - as I've said all along - and now apparently the Republicans have at last found someone in their midst that can do the same (it's about time).

In any event, the Democrats are not frightened by her presence, but only an idiot would deny that an energized electorate is more likely to prevail than a complacent one - and with Palin the Republicans have at last found someone who can do that for them. Consequently it's time for the Democrats to up their game and give and all-out push right up until election day - hence the HUGE increase in contributions to Obama immediately after Palin's speech. I know that on a personal note, this is the first election in 53 years that I've given to ANY candidate and having already donated to Obama, I was definitely motivated to give once again.

There is no shame or weakness in recognizing the potential game-changing aspect of Palin. From the look things, she can be a powerful force - how much of a force remains to be seen, but certainly the potential is there. All that means is that the Obama campaign will have to step up to the plate and work even harder - and I'm convinced they will do so.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 09-05-2008 at 08:52 AM..

Old 09-05-2008, 09:01 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,402,454 times
Palin is a celebrity right now. That will fade as people start trying to find out more about her.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:02 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,870,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Palin has give one speech that was humorous, but didn't really say anything about the issues. Once people start seeing what a crazy right-wing nutjob she is, her appeal will disipate quickly. The American people DO NOT generally support:

1. Outlawing all abortion everywhere
2. Abstinence only "sex education"
3. "End times" extreme religious beliefs
4. Hunting wolves and bears from helicopters
5. Gutting all environmental and consumer protections

All of these Sara Palin-isms are to the right of the mainstream, and soon she will have to start answering questions in addition to making snarky comments.

BIG YES to #1!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 09:05 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,241,745 times
Quote:

Ok, you must be seeing something very different to what I am seeing. I would imagine that Obama is absolutely delighted at how Palin is coming across.

I am happy for you that you are happy with your ticket, but you are starting to sound a bit delusional which I doubt does your case much good in the long run.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:57 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,840,811 times
Quote:

An original Hillary pick at VP would have set the republican party back a dozen years; Biden has provided a future star. Sometimes Obama doesn't get three chances to make the right decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections