Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 05:57 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,987,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Did you or anyone in your family mail back to the federal government their last tax rebate?
We pinko freedom-hating Commie mommy Dems haven't been complaining about the government handing things back; Republicant's are the ones moaning continuously that anything back from the government is a "handout" and that government check programs are for lazy do-nothings.

Hence, the irony here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 06:00 PM

479 posts, read 879,205 times
That would be easy for me as those are sound policies(sans small gov't) but very hard for John McCain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Now why don't you play a conservative Republican!
(Low tax rate, small government, responsible spending, strong military and tough laws for criminals.)

Old 09-05-2008, 06:05 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,235,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
We pinko freedom-hating Commie mommy Dems haven't been complaining about the government handing things back; Republicant's are the ones moaning continuously that anything back from the government is a "handout" and that government check programs are for lazy do-nothings.

Hence, the irony here.
So that's why republicans are always trying to cut personal income taxes...You just cleared it up for me.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:05 PM

479 posts, read 879,205 times
Actually I liked the Huckabee/Obama stance on using the $ to rebuild/improve our infrastructure but hey I figure that this is just an advance from China that I'll be paying back w/interest anyway so no I did not mail it back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Did you or anyone in your family mail back to the federal government their last tax rebate?

Old 09-05-2008, 06:09 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,298,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens2QueenCity View Post
That would be easy for me as those are sound policies(sans small gov't) but very hard for John McCain.
That's good but why would you want a big government?

Old 09-05-2008, 06:13 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,024 times
You know the topic of the Ak PFD is a good example on how to use a resource for the benefit of the country and through wise investment to return to the population a benefit. I now live a "blue" state which is famous for also returning to the population by taxing the snot out of the workers and property owners to create extensive social programs which foster a significant entitlement mentality. It does not work here in Vt in such a small state so I can't help but wonder how so many believe it would work on a national scale. Right or Left we cannot tax ourselves to prosperity and people really need to put some thought into the real probability of all these numerous great sounding promises being thrown at us daily. Buyer beware, there really is no free lunch.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:14 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,765,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Wow isn't this what Obama wants to do for all American's? Tax big oil and give us a rebate but John says its a bad idea? Why is it good for Alaskan's but not residents of the other 49 states. I wonder what Sarah will say on this?
Alaskans to receive $3,269 each: Alaska News | adn.com
Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell announced today that every eligible man, woman and child will receive $2,069, thanks to dividend payments from the state's oil royalty investment program distributed annually. On top of that, the checks will include another $1,200 from the state treasury to help offset soaring fuel prices.
Nowhere in that story, Tuby, is there any mention of "windfall profits tax." Only in the "Ads by Yahoo" at the end of the story is there even a mention of "windfall." In fact the money is coming from "the state's oil royalty investment program." Another falsehood on your part. Damn the bad luck.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:55 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Read the fine print. This is not a tax on oil or gas. It is interest on revenue from leases. If you want this to become a nationwide thing, just start drilling on state owned land in all of the states.
What the Hay does the Alaska Journal of Commerce know they are run by Obama Democrat Lefties.
http://www.alaskajournal.com/stories/112507/hom_20071125041.shtml (broken link)
Alaska legislators have approved increases in state oil and gas production taxes, a move expected to boost state revenues by an additional $1.63 billion this year.

The revenue projection is based on an assumption that crude oil prices will average $71.65 per barrel, the price used in the state's official revenue forecast, according to Alaska Department of Revenue spokesman Jerry Burnett.

Leftist Commies

Old 09-05-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Nowhere in that story, Tuby, is there any mention of "windfall profits tax." Only in the "Ads by Yahoo" at the end of the story is there even a mention of "windfall." In fact the money is coming from "the state's oil royalty investment program." Another falsehood on your part. Damn the bad luck.
Nah another unintended setup to make you guys look silly.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Sorry my friend I read more then one source and am aware of much without reading just one source. You had the bad luck of posting as I was preparing my rebuttal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections