Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:53 PM

116 posts, read 265,845 times

Advertisements

To this point, I feel that both Obama and McCain are good men who want the best for our country. There are pros and cons to both and I do not agree 100% with either. I am happy that if either of them is elected, I feel we will have an improvement at the top. As I am still waffling on which way to go, I feel that the only way I can make a good decision will be by who they each pick to be on their cabinet. Do you think we will get a hint of this prior to the election? I have always believed that the President is more of a figurehead in office, rather than a policy maker. It is who he/she hires that really makes the difference. This is where I get a little afraid of Obama, as I do not want to see a repeat of the Jimmy Carter days. I also do not want to see a continuation of the George Bush days. I would prefer something like the Ronald Reagan days or "parts" of the Bill Clinton days. I definitely am not a fan of Biden and I like Palin on the surface, but I need to see her in some debates to be sure.

I pray to God that this thread will be a hate free, insult free zone and we can calmly and politely discuss facts and not inject untruths, lies & rumors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 08:59 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,682 times
Here is my analysis. Are you happy with the way the country is going? I am not, however, I would not vote for Obama because I do not agree with his ideas and policies. For this reason, would I vote for Mc Cain? Absolutely not! Voting for Mc Cain would be stating that you are happy with the way the country is today, therefore I am not voting for either candidate, I am more of a Libertarian, I like Nader and Barr, but I know they are not going to win. If you do not want to vote for Nader,Ron Paul or Barr, then I feel like Obama is your only hope for something different.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:06 PM

715 posts, read 1,670,271 times
Obviously, I support McCain...but I believe Obama loves his country and wants to serve it well. I just don't agree with his values.

I'm a values voter above all else. Some may think that is stupid...but for me, it's the most important thing.

As for other issues, I think the President will have very little to do with "fixing" the economy. Obviously, Presidents do have an impact....but that invisible hand has more influence.

As for the military...McCain knows SO much more about it than Obama...so it would be hard not to give him the nod there. Obama did impress me on O'Reilly's show b/c I was worried that he would be militarily weak....but he said that if needed, he would use our armed forces.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:07 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
If McCain wins, he won't get anywhere with his kind of change because he has a Democratic congress to counter him.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:21 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,864,478 times
How refreshing that we can talk w/out insulting each other.....

I am not a McCain supporter but I have respect for Sen. McCain and Gov. Palin although I do not agree on their stances. I would like to see more of their views on the issues though, I have never seen a VP prospect hidden from the media to this extent and would like to see more of their plans for our country.

Regardless of whether we are Rep., Dem or Ind., most of us are looking for a change and I think we can all agree on that.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:41 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,145,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
How refreshing that we can talk w/out insulting each other.....

I am not a McCain supporter but I have respect for Sen. McCain and Gov. Palin although I do not agree on their stances. I would like to see more of their views on the issues though, I have never seen a VP prospect hidden from the media to this extent and would like to see more of their plans for our country.

Regardless of whether we are Rep., Dem or Ind., most of us are looking for a change and I think we can all agree on that.
Most of us are looking for a GOOD change or a change for the BETTER. All "changes" are not created equal. Sometimes things CHANGE for the worse.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Most of us are looking for a GOOD change or a change for the BETTER. All "changes" are not created equal. Sometimes things CHANGE for the worse.
Point taken.....your "change" might differ from mine but at least we have the opportunity to express that.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:00 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,043,928 times
I doubt you will get any true hint of cabinet choices from them, but I feel like the biggest cheerleaders usually get rewarded.

Like on the McCain side, I wouldn't be surprised if Liberman and Lindsey Graham get something.

On the Obama side I would not be shocked if Hillary got something - I'm not sure what yet - but depending the support she gives until the election - who knows. Also Chuck Hagel might be a dark horse for something.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:14 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Here is my analysis. Are you happy with the way the country is going? I am not, however, I would not vote for Obama because I do not agree with his ideas and policies. For this reason, would I vote for Mc Cain? Absolutely not! Voting for Mc Cain would be stating that you are happy with the way the country is today, therefore I am not voting for either candidate, I am more of a Libertarian, I like Nader and Barr, but I know they are not going to win. If you do not want to vote for Nader,Ron Paul or Barr, then I feel like Obama is your only hope for something different.
I disagree. Obama will bring change in the WRONG direction. As much as Obama wants people to believe McCain is "more of the same," I believe McCain and ESPECIALLY Palin, things will change - FOR THE BETTER!

Obama's ideas on how to "fix" the economy do not work. Look back in history. Raising taxes DOES NOT GROW THE ECONOMY. Lowering taxes makes the economy grow. We don't need more taxes and more social programs.

No way I can vote for Obama.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
I doubt you will get any true hint of cabinet choices from them, but I feel like the biggest cheerleaders usually get rewarded.

Like on the McCain side, I wouldn't be surprised if Liberman and Lindsey Graham get something.

On the Obama side I would not be shocked if Hillary got something - I'm not sure what yet - but depending the support she gives until the election - who knows. Also Chuck Hagel might be a dark horse for something.
I agree that Liberman and Clinton will be in there somewhere....no doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections