Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 09:20 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,782,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I love John Stewart, I only wish he would speak truth to power more objectively. Its pretty easy to bash and point out the many hypocrisies of the GOP these days, as there are reams of material. However, there is quite a bit out there from the other side as well and I wouldn't mind seeing his humor applied to politics more evenly.
I suspect when we Dems take over, jon will start making fun of us too. He wont have a choice, I don't think the otherside is going to have much left after Jan 09 (or when ever we get the white house). Meanwhile, its very hard to find a place to sit down and listen to left wing leaning humor. Im sure you on the right can list about 30 different places, however, watching Keith Oberman on MSNBC is good, but Jon Stewart is the King. I don't get HBO to watch Bill Mahr. Jon Stewart ROCKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 09:31 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,094,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
oddly enough, I get the same news, just condensed down to a half hour and its funny, as I would watching 2 hours of cable news. After all, they don't present the news anymore either. At least Jon Stewart is funny. Last night was one of the best EVER.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I love the Daily Show and watch it every night (thanks to TIVO), but I was just pointing out that he is a comedian, not a newscaster. This week's coverage of the RNC was particularly brilliant (although he did a pretty good job making fun of the DNC too).

Old 09-06-2008, 10:04 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,963,025 times
Quote:
I love John Stewart, I only wish he would speak truth to power more objectively. Its pretty easy to bash and point out the many hypocrisies of the GOP these days, as there are reams of material. However, there is quite a bit out there from the other side as well and I wouldn't mind seeing his humor applied to politics more evenly.
Yes, he's a little one-sided. Plenty of things to laugh about in Obama campaign, too. That's another reason I like Colbert better--although Jon Stewart does have some great zingers from time to time.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:07 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,721,231 times
He's picked on Obama too. Did you see the 'Lion King' parody? Brilliant!

Old 09-06-2008, 10:12 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,656,319 times
People actually still watch Jon Stewart?

Old 09-06-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
He's picked on Obama too. Did you see the 'Lion King' parody? Brilliant!
Oh yeah... that was pretty clever!

Old 09-06-2008, 10:18 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,044,706 times
Quote:
He did do some good ones last week during the DCN, but you are right it is more towards the GOP. I think it is because of what you said there's just reams of material - it's like shooting fish in a barrel. There's always more material on the ruling party.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
He did do some good ones last week during the DCN, but you are right it is more towards the GOP. I think it is because of what you said there's just reams of material - it's like shooting fish in a barrel. There's always more material on the ruling party.
Well, it is true that there's just so much more to work with on that side, especially now that Palin's on the GOP ticket. Talk about an irresistible goldmine for comics. It's not a matter of taking sides--she's very likeable, but how can they resist?

Old 09-06-2008, 04:17 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,782,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
People actually still watch Jon Stewart?
Religiously, then we watch Colbert make fun of Republicans by pretending to be one, its great satire. Then I go to bed with a smile on my face.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
I think it is because of what you said there's just reams of material - it's like shooting fish in a barrel.
... or like shooting a moose from a helicopter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections