Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 01:40 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,235,714 times

Advertisements

Holy snikeees Batman!... I saw a topic at the top of the page and it went something like this...

Ron Paul fan: why i'm voting Obama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 01:57 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,235,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
That would be a very valid point, if plans werent already being made to withdraw our troops. If McCain (and yes Bush) was talking about another 5 years of war, then Iraq would be a valid issue in this election, but they all are talking about withdrawing troops. By time the next president will be chosen, plans will be in the works..
Well you see the thing is, neither Obama nor McCain will address something that of all people, John Kerry brought up during the 2004 campaign. It is a question that the press has completely failed to every again ask of a Presidential candidate.

Why are we building permanent bases in Iraq? Right or wrong, good reasons or not... the question doesn't even come up. Hence, my skepticism as with others is that under McCain or Obama, the United States will not be leaving Iraq anytime soon. Sure, we may pull out substantial number of forces, but the United States will be in Iraq FOREVER, or at least until we go broke.

If the U.S. is ultimately leaving Iraq, why is the military building 'permanent' bases?

Think Progress » In Debate Over Permanent Bases In Iraq, U.S. Seeks Authorization For War In Iran

The Bush administration claims the U.S. intends to leave Iraq. But its massive military "super-bases" tell a different story.
Permanent bases in Iraq? | Salon

US bases in Iraq: a costly legacy
US bases in Iraq: a costly legacy | csmonitor.com

14 `enduring bases' set in Iraq
Long-term military presence planned

14 `enduring bases' set in Iraq

Permanent Bases
Permanent Bases - UN Security Council - Global Policy Forum

Again, the United States under either candidate will never leave Iraq in their terms... PERIOD

Old 09-06-2008, 02:38 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,222,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
He wants to privatize a lot of programs.

does privatization = corporation? in my opinion what these corporations need is fresh competition from the small guy. corporations like gm, chrysler and ford need to stand on their own two feet or fold like any small business which can't pay its bills. maybe then we can see some new manufacturers actually become competitive with the japanese and european cars. then there are the banks whose multi-billion dollar profits i saw none of. now that their lending standards have got them into trouble you and i must fork out for their losses. maybe they can also stop bailing out the airlines too and let new airlines come to the fore with better service and prices. maybe they can also stop printing more money to prop up the price of shares on wall street or stop subsidizing big oil. i could go on but i'm tired, have had a few drinks and just lost £20 in my monthly texas holdem game.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
As a former Ron Paul supporter, I'm a little confused over the swing to Obama also. Ron Paul talked about abolishing the government, and now the OP is supporting someone who wants to make it not only bigger, but A LOT bigger..

not a fan of clinton but i do believe the governement was smaller under him than under the neocon govt of dubya. imo clinton= obama and mccain= bush. i just don't buy into mccain or bush being conservative republicans. they are spend, spend and spend somemore. when they run out they just borrow from china and print a bit more. i'm assuming that you realise that the inflation that this has caused is in fact a stealth tax

Old 09-06-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian View Post
As to the original poster...why not just write you candidate in.

I am a firm believer in voting for whoever is running who you agree with most on the key issues. If they are not running and you write them in, at least you can complain when you don't like what the current administration is doing :-)

i didn't know i could do that. that's what i'm going to do

Old 09-06-2008, 02:57 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,896,346 times
how many times to people need to be reminded of what a capital gains tax is? good lord. that is a tax on the average joe, not the "top 2%" or whatever the idiots in washington are calling it now. not really sure how one makes the jump from ron paul to obama.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Some issues are more important than tax increases and one is national security. If a nuclear bomb goes off in NYC, the economy of this country will experience such a decline as to be more devastating than any decrease in revenue from tax cuts. Of course this is based upon the fallacy that cutting taxes on the wealthy reduces revenues, when exactly the opposite is true. Eliminating the capital gains tax in conjunction with cutting wasteful spending will eventually eliminate the deficit and reduce the debt.
However, the best way to eliminate the debt is to implement the Fair Tax while systematically reducing government waste.
mccain will not enhance national security.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:02 PM

9,059 posts, read 13,007,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
mccain will not enhance national security.
Quite right. His big gubmint programs and military pork will deplete the treasury just as fast or faster than Obama's would.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:28 PM

29,919 posts, read 39,576,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
The many unpatriotic greedy corporations have already long since moved and do whatever they can to avoid paying LITERALLY ONE PENNEY IN TAXES. While we pay the bulk of the the taxes. Why is it fair that corporations should pay nothing because we fear they will leave. There are ways to penalize corporations that have a fake overshore address and cheat on their taxes, and we need to be doing lots more of that. Why are people not concerned that people and corporations with MORE THAN ENOUGH WEALTH should pay tax on a far lower proportion of their income than people who can barely pay enough to gas their cars and heat their homes in winter. We're talking bread and butter here. Why vote against your own interests time and again? America never had such a huge disparity in wealth. Do you want to be like a third world country? Cuz that's where we seem to be headed. And since everyone who worked for Bush for these past 8 years now works for McCain, how will we get out of this with him?

Keep this in mind at all times that you complain about someone paying taxes, while being a proponent of remaining in Iraq until we are "victorious" (WHATEVER THAT MEANS), that this is an unfunded war that is being paid for on the backs of America's future. This will forever effect our economy. And doesn't it frighten anyone to be owned by the Chinese and such other unseemly nations?

They leave because of cost versus payoff......If your taxes are higher on your business you will either need to make more money (probably by increasing cost on your product possibly moving you out of the market but can vary greatly) to stay the same or loose profits...

Old 09-06-2008, 03:29 PM

9,059 posts, read 13,007,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
They leave because of cost versus payoff......If your taxes are higher on your business you will either need to make more money (probably by increasing cost on your product possibly moving you out of the market but can vary greatly) to stay the same or loose profits...

LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE

NOT NOT NOT loose.

God that is awful and intentional bad grammar!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections