Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 08:27 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
One BIG difference is that Obama will RAISE your taxes and McCain will extend the Bush taxcuts. Any increase in taxes should raise a red flag that this person is a statist and does not believe in fiscal individual freedoms. There's a reason that Paul is a republican, because he fits better with the reps fiscally. If this is your priority, I would suggest that you would be wrong to support Obama.
Not unless you make over a quarter million a year. And based on the GOP's wild spending spree over the last 7 years (and our now monstrous deficit), I'd also beg to differ on their being fiscally conservative..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 08:55 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,691,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Not unless you make over a quarter million a year. And based on the GOP's wild spending spree over the last 7 years (and our now monstrous deficit), I'd also beg to differ on their being fiscally conservative..
I guess its according to whether you believe his policies during the primaries or the general elections. Considering that he is one of the most liberal senators in Congress, I'd bet on him increasing the capital gains tax, payroll tax, and social security tax.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:58 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,154,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Not unless you make over a quarter million a year.
Why does that not bother anyone? Why is it that so many people in this country would rather punish those that work(ed) hard for their money? Why would do we need to take from anyone so that others can have as well? When does the line get moved down? And who drew the line where it is? Why?

Old 09-06-2008, 09:07 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE

NOT NOT NOT loose.

God that is awful and intentional bad grammar!
the one that gets me is worst and worse. I use them wrong all the time.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:10 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,691,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Why does that not bother anyone? Why is it that so many people in this country would rather punish those that work(ed) hard for their money? Why would do we need to take from anyone so that others can have as well? When does the line get moved down? And who drew the line where it is? Why?
I guess those making $249,999 haven't crossed that threshold into being "evil". It's called envy and class warfare.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I guess those making $249,999 haven't crossed that threshold into being "evil".
It seems so arbitrary. And anyone with even the common sense to hire a good CPA can get below that threshold if they're only a few thousand above in reality. Aside from that, doesn't it seem wrong to take money for someone that earned it to give it to someone that didn't? We aren't all equally talented. We shouldn't all be equally compensated.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:26 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,996,684 times
Quote:
Even Ron Paul believes in taxes supporting the military. I don't understand your contention about Haliburton however.
So, if I understand you correctly, you would support an increase in everyone's taxes, so long as YOU benefit from it. Is it me or does this seem a bit unprincipled? This mentality is what empowers the fiscal liberals to continue to take our resources, with a promise that we'll get a small portion of it back in a manner of their choosing. However, they fail to mention that the large majority will go to entitlement programs designed to increase dependency on the government and to expand their power over the people.
bush, mcccain & co. ARE fiscal liberals! they certainly don't fit the old definition of what conservative used to mean. conservative used to mean "fiscal restraint". it no longer holds that cache. if fiscal diarrhea is to be a reality, it's better that at least it flows to the citizenry rather than the military industrial complex like it does now under bush.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:58 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,260 times
i'd love to vote libertarian but the only thing worse than a neocon is a neocon in libertarian clothing: bob barr

he just doesn't feel it

Old 09-07-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
bush, mcccain & co. ARE fiscal liberals! they certainly don't fit the old definition of what conservative used to mean. conservative used to mean "fiscal restraint". it no longer holds that cache. if fiscal diarrhea is to be a reality, it's better that at least it flows to the citizenry rather than the military industrial complex like it does now under bush.
That, I agree with.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:06 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,974,480 times
Quote:
One BIG difference is that Obama will RAISE your taxes and McCain will extend the Bush taxcuts. Any increase in taxes should raise a red flag that this person is a statist and does not believe in fiscal individual freedoms. There's a reason that Paul is a republican, because he fits better with the reps fiscally. If this is your priority, I would suggest that you would be wrong to support Obama.

This is exactly wrong. The CATO Institue (conservative) ran a study that showed that not paying the bills. (GOP running huge deficits) contributes more to spending. At least Democrats pay their way. They will raise taxes and Americans will feel the pain, thus creating a desire to curtail spending down the road.. GOPers don't pay their way, but continue to spend, and not feel the pain of their spending.

Just like Americans with their credit cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections