Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with this post?
Yes 48 59.26%
No 33 40.74%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 04:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,060,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I think it's just the initial media phase of this woman, that's all. Her other problem is avoiding the 24/7 news reporters, which in turn magnifies the spot light on her. Once they reprogram her with the party line and give her a foreign policy 101 crash course, she'll be out yamming it up and the attention will drift back to the debates.
I think this is probably true.
Politics has *always* been a game. No getting around that.
It's just that first television, and now cellphones and the internet have sped everything up.
Politics is personality,too--is both sad and silly yet it is inescapable; it is partly the reason that Hillary could not win, yet Bill could.
It will be interesting to see the debates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 04:39 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,232,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
It's disheartening. When I see the signs "Pit bull in Lipstick!", "Hockey Moms Unite!" "Hottest VP, Coolest State!" and other such drivel, I truly worry for our immediate futures.

No matter what party you support, don't we all deserve better? Our national leaders should be some of the finest minds of our country. We have got to start demanding more maturity and intellectual reasoning from our candidates.
At least none of those above signs is disparaging of the opponent.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:48 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,891,070 times
I do not know how any Obama supporter can make this statement with a straight face! OMG, if ever there was a fluffy, puffy, zingy, blingy candidate sporting bells and whistles, it's Obama. And yes, I DO agree with you -- it's very sad that such a candidate has made it almost to the top, AND sad that McCain felt he needed to jazz up his own campaign by picking an "electrifying" running partner. But honestly, looking at Obama and Palin side by side, I'm gonna say Palin has more integrity and substance, while conceding that Obama is the academic of the pair. Intellectual prowess does not equal wisdom OR ability to lead, however. I know it seems like it should, but, it doesn't, as history has taught us repeatedly.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:54 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,232,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I do not know how any Obama supporter can make this statement with a straight face! OMG, if ever there was a fluffy, puffy, zingy, blingy candidate sporting bells and whistles, it's Obama. And yes, I DO agree with you -- it's very sad that such a candidate has made it almost to the top, AND sad that McCain felt he needed to jazz up his own campaign by picking an "electrifying" running partner. But honestly, looking at Obama and Palin side by side, I'm gonna say Palin has more integrity and substance, while conceding that Obama is the academic of the pair. Intellectual prowess does not equal wisdom OR ability to lead, however. I know it seems like it should, but, it doesn't, as history has taught us repeatedly.
"Academic with Intellectual prowess" vs "Actual leadership and Integrity".

I have visited the Hanoi Hilton and know what McCain is made of. I need more proof with Palin, but I see nothing but an empty suit on the other side. Nice suit though.

I would like to see Obama's actual academic records. What is the big secret? I can forgive a few bad grades. Is there more?

Old 09-07-2008, 05:03 AM

9,394 posts, read 14,345,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post

No matter what party you support, don't we all deserve better?

Spoiled, drugged, television-watching, waiting for government welfare, debt-spending, high on the money supply, wasteful, distasteful, ungrateful, couch potatoes, whining, complaining, disdaining, cultureless, clueless, debateless, bickering about red herrings etc. etc.

Yeah, US "citizens" have exactly what they deserve.

Self-responsibility, production, saving, investment, tight monetary policy, tight fiscal policy, free competition, the rule of law, the Constitution, nahhh!!!

Old 09-07-2008, 05:33 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,060,998 times
Am I a nervous Obama supporter? Of course.
Ill be heartsick if he loses, and still nervous if he wins--he better not screw up!
But I seek someone with vision and imagination who sees America's promise but also sees America as a part of something bigger.
Is this all high-flown nonsense?
Some undoubtedly see it that way. I don't.
From his acceptance speech a week ago:
"What has also been lost is our sense of common purpose – our sense of higher purpose. And that's what we have to restore.
I know there are those who dismiss such beliefs as happy talk. They claim that our insistence on something larger, something firmer and more honest in our public life is just a Trojan Horse for higher taxes and the abandonment of traditional values. And that's to be expected. Because if you don't have any fresh ideas, then you use stale tactics to scare the voters. If you don't have a record to run on, then you paint your opponent as someone people should run from.

You make a big election about small things.

And you know what – it's worked before. Because it feeds into the cynicism we all have about government. When Washington doesn't work, all its promises seem empty. If your hopes have been dashed again and again, then it's best to stop hoping, and settle for what you already know.
I get it. I realize that I am not the likeliest candidate for this office. I don't fit the typical pedigree, and I haven't spent my career in the halls of Washington.

But I stand before you tonight because all across America something is stirring. What the nay-sayers don't understand is that this election has never been about me. It's been about you".

Old 09-07-2008, 05:41 AM

745 posts, read 2,211,505 times
I do agree with the OP. I really like Sarah Palin, and Barack Obama for that matter, but I don't think either are qualified to be the President or VP of the nation. I watched the CNN special of McCain revealed and Obama revealed last night. And the thing that most struck me is that in a presidential election, there's no way they should have spent so much time on Obama being a Community Organizer. It's indeed a very noble thing to do, but not necessarily one that qualifies anybody to become president.

I wish I could vote for President and VP separately so that I could vote for McCain/Biden.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:48 AM

9,394 posts, read 14,345,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post

I wish I could vote for President and VP separately so that I could vote for McCain/Biden.
Certainly would have been a much better ticket than the two being offered.

May I suggest that you vote in such a way that will restore balance of power in government (legislative and executive branches) based on the likely outcome of the presidential election in your state, the senatorial election in your state if any, and the house election in your district.

In other words, split your "ticket", if necessary, or write-in the candidate of your choice, so that whoever is president will not have a majority, or at least a significant majority, in either of the two houses of Congress.

Gridlock and slow bipartisan compromise are better than inexperience, radical changes, and running roughshod over the Constitution.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:34 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,606,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstratt View Post
If McCain had picked someone else would you have voted for him?
Actually yes, I might well have, or would definitely have been on the fence right up until Nov 5th. And I'm an Independent... the group that both candidates are supposed to be courting. Had McCain picked Romney, I would have had an extremely difficult choice to make. But McCain totally alienated me from his ticket via his choice of Palin. (and I am also a woman, btw)

Old 09-07-2008, 07:36 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,606,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
And I'd be right there with you!!!!! That would be a dream ticket for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections