Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 05:18 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,612,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
What if she were overcome with the Holy Spirit and broke out into tongues?

Serious question for republicans: what would you think?
It would turn into a media circus frenzy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 06:00 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,711,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I saw Obama trying to explain his tax reform last night. I think Palin speaking in toungues would make more sense.
Good one. LOL

JerZ, regarding: when you consider that many terrorist groups and other dangerous groups are also religious extremists. Who are you to say that someone won't do something extremely drastic--someone in power, who has that capability

The difference is that we have a Congress and it takes a majority of them to agree on something, not a small task. We here might be called a microcosm of that - how often and how many of us agree on an issue? Certainly not enough of us to make significant impact on any issue.

As for "God telling" someone what to do, it really has nothing to do with tongues. Anyone can claim that God is talking to them, even if they never speak in tongues. It seems to me that your measuring stick is a bit off. Some people would say that following Rev Wright is every bit as extreme, though Obama didn't think so. Others would say that Mormonism is extreme, though Romney wouldn't say so. Episcopaleans would say that Baptists are extreme. Baptists would say that Catholics are off the beam. They all acknowledge the existence of God, and, specifically, Jesus Christ (who, after all, is a historical figure so we can't say he didn't exist) so somewhat different flavors of the faith shouldn't divide us when there are people who want to wipe us off the face of the earth simply because we don't subscribe to THEIR flavor of faith. We don't do that to others based on their faith.

Let's examine the deeds instead, as we examine the candidates. Assuming that Sarah has felt led by God in her major decisions in office, let's look at what she's done under that "leading". Assuming that Obama feels led by God, let's look at what he has done as a result. Fair?

Old 09-09-2008, 06:21 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,612,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

Let's examine the deeds instead, as we examine the candidates. Assuming that Sarah has felt led by God in her major decisions in office, let's look at what she's done under that "leading". Assuming that Obama feels led by God, let's look at what he has done as a result. Fair?
Would it be more fair to examine the leader of said faith, attach the leader's doctrine to the candidate, and question the candidates judgment for being involved in said faith and following the leader of said faith?

Senator McCain has obviously endured such examination it should be fair that his Vice President does as well, correct?

Old 09-09-2008, 06:35 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,711,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Would it be more fair to examine the leader of said faith,
Sure. Go ahead, examine the "leader" of that faith (I think you mean the pastor), and what that leader has been teaching and preaching.

If you know Sarah's pastor(s), go for it. Let's compare Obama's mentors to Sarah's pastors. (I don't believe she'd ever refer to her pastor as a mentor.) But start a new thread and have a go at it if you think it's meaningful. I don't think it's as meaningful as is faith translated into action.

The reason I said 'examine the deeds' is that faith without action is no faith at all. What we believe has to be applied and lived out. We cannot see faith. We can only see the results. Therefore, results are what count. We will know these candidates by looking at what they have done.

Last edited by swbtoo; 09-09-2008 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-09-2008, 07:05 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,868,630 times
Quote:

Serious question for republicans: what would you think?
I've voted Republican in the past, so maybe I could take a shot.

I think if this happened, it would get her kicked off the ticket. Many people would say that it's her religious right and that there's nothing wrong with it, and then deflect that Obama might be a Muslim terrorist. But many, MANY others, even many Christians, would be quite freaked out by it. One of the largest Christian churches in the country, Catholicism, does not partake in speaking in tongues or writhing on the floor or faith healing (except for a small sect of Catholics), so she'd lose most of that support.

I think overrall the Republicans would see it as a bad thing and shoo her away to some unknown location for a while. It'd be the same as Bill Gates hiring a new VP and that person breaking into voodoo trance and smearing blood on his/her body at a shareholders' meeting.

This country generally does not like religious extremists, no matter what religion it is. Everything in moderation, I always say.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:02 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,612,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I've voted Republican in the past, so maybe I could take a shot.

I think if this happened, it would get her kicked off the ticket. Many people would say that it's her religious right and that there's nothing wrong with it, and then deflect that Obama might be a Muslim terrorist. But many, MANY others, even many Christians, would be quite freaked out by it. One of the largest Christian churches in the country, Catholicism, does not partake in speaking in tongues or writhing on the floor or faith healing (except for a small sect of Catholics), so she'd lose most of that support.

I think overrall the Republicans would see it as a bad thing and shoo her away to some unknown location for a while. It'd be the same as Bill Gates hiring a new VP and that person breaking into voodoo trance and smearing blood on his/her body at a shareholders' meeting.

This country generally does not like religious extremists, no matter what religion it is. Everything in moderation, I always say.
She has no corporate experience, clearly. But shes a wal-Mart Mom The reason most Hillary dems and professional women would NEVER vote that ticket.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:06 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,257,592 times
Quote:
You mean she didn't already do that at the convention.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 09-09-2008 at 10:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections