Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 02:54 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,984,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Does your husband regularly take you and the kids on business trips, and does his corporation pay for all of you? If so, congrats. Of course, I see such practices as one of the reasons that the economy is in the tanker.
Why, yes in fact. Can you explain to me the relationship between reimbursing business expenses to an employee and the economy in the tank (not that I think so)? Try

Quote:
And a per diem for what would be considered telecommuting or working out of a different office closer to home? When does that happen? If you want to argue that the way in which she was compensated is based on the military's practice of stationing and paying per/diems, then fine. But that doesn't seem to be the rationale here.
Obviously, it's how they do things up there, in their government. Just because YOU haven't heard of such a thing, doesn't make it wrong or illegal.

Quote:
And please, having your family members' expenses paid for for a sporting event that your husband is participating in is ridiculous. But it's only tax payer money right. They could have all flown on the governor's plane, if she hadn't sold it, so I guess it isn't AS bad, so no biggie.
How do you know that?Maybe she was there in an official capacity. She has clearly CUT travel expenses - but that doesn't matter to you. Face it, you hate her "just because".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 04:11 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,614,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Why, yes in fact. Can you explain to me the relationship between reimbursing business expenses to an employee and the economy in the tank (not that I think so)? Try

Obviously, it's how they do things up there, in their government. Just because YOU haven't heard of such a thing, doesn't make it wrong or illegal.

How do you know that?Maybe she was there in an official capacity. She has clearly CUT travel expenses - but that doesn't matter to you. Face it, you hate her "just because".
Yes, I hate her "just because." You found me out. Did you actually read that article? This hasn't been accepted practice in Alaska.

My comment wasn't about "qualified business expenses." My comments were about abuse of what is considered to be a qualified business expense. How do your children help your husband do business on a business trip that you all go on? Even if your husband's business reimburses for the whole trip, anything beyond his expenses would be taxable income for your husband. FYI (If your husband works for a toy company and the kids are employed toy testers, then fine.)

And CEO exit packages, perks, business expenses gone wild--it's all part of the same mentality. And the bottom line is what is screwed. Or perhaps you are happy with the state of the economy and the future this country is building for you and yours. If so, enjoy.

Last edited by helenejen; 09-09-2008 at 04:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections