Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:26 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,863,425 times

Advertisements

I laughed my a** off when John Belushi and Dan Akroyd said, "we're on a mission from God" in "The Blues Brothers". But frankly a politician who takes thinks everything they do is a mission from God, like G.W. Bush and Palin, scares me.

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 10:47 PM

5,169 posts, read 11,457,319 times
I could just see a practicing muslim candidate saying these words. All hell would break loose.

I have no interest what-so-ever to have someone in a powerful political position that says he is on a "mission from god", we see where that got us with the last one.

forum rules, please read them

Old 09-11-2008, 11:05 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,946,577 times
First of all, ABC truncated her quote to make it more sensational but you can look up the entire text of which she said pray that is a task from GOD.

This is a basic tenant that's been around since the beginning of the country. God has a plan. How about Jefferson? "endowed by our creator". Only the past 20 years or so has the ultra LEFT made a big deal out of religion as if they're living in freaking Iran or something.

Essentially pray that we know what we're doing and that our actions are right minded. Not unlike Buddhist thinking BTW. It's GENERIC. The religious values people are citing are harmless and not bothering anybody except the liars that overstate reality.

And aren't we sick to death of Obama bragging about what a Christian he is? SO WHAT? Palin is no different just being persecuted for political gain and payback for Rev Wright.

Sometimes history of the USA is more helpful than history of Saturday Night Live if you want to compare people in the White House.

I'm not even a religious person and think you guys who think you're too intellectual to allow others to acknowledge a "GOD" have the real problem. Just like the elitist media and OBAMA, with hostility towards anybody with any religious beliefs and who can't connect to regular Americans.

You can look at Lincoln as she said, FDR, Kennedy, Reagan for specific examples of Presidents who were considered LEADERS when invoking the mention of GOD and in fact conducted PRAYER with the country in times of trouble.<yikes Liberals were born in the past two decades and might think we're crazy>

Lincoln - (quoted by Palin)

FDR- Prayed for 6 minutes with the entire country that people were doing the will of God

Eisenhower- memoir "Crusade in Europe" and added under God to the pledge of allegiance and a bunch of other religious stuff like "In God We Trust" ...it was a different era then, the communist thing ....

Kennedy - For example a very popular speech stating "I believe that God has a plan"

Carter - true to his Christian convictions but didn't use it in office to force it on anyone

Ford the same thing...

Reagan - about a million speeches invoking God... "Without God democracy will not and cannot long endure"

Keep it up, guys and your boy won't even have a Senator job to go back to. American does not like snobs and Marxist Communists "who don't even like us very much".

Go fact check some of the trash Obama is spouting like our weapons on "hair triggers". ummmm that was in the 80's maybe. He's a hate and hysteria monger imo.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:15 PM

"your boy", apparently you do not have a clue who "my boy" is. Hint, it isn't Obama.

She is obviously a religious extremist. Anti choice and anti sex ed. Looks like it doesn't work all too well, does it?

Old 09-11-2008, 11:20 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,893,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
First of all, ABC truncated her quote to make it more sensational but you can look up the entire text of which she said pray that is a task from GOD.

This is a basic tenant that's been around since the beginning of the country. God has a plan. How about Jefferson? "endowed by our creator". Only the past 20 years or so has the ultra LEFT made a big deal out of religion as if they're living in freaking Iran or something.

Essentially pray that we know what we're doing and that our actions are right minded. Not unlike Buddhist thinking BTW. It's GENERIC. The religious values people are citing are harmless and not bothering anybody except the liars that overstate reality.

And aren't we sick to death of Obama bragging about what a Christian he is? SO WHAT? Palin is no different just being persecuted for political gain and payback for Rev Wright.

Sometimes history of the USA is more helpful than history of Saturday Night Live if you want to compare people in the White House.

I'm not even a religious person and think you guys who think you're too intellectual to allow others to acknowledge a "GOD" have the real problem. Just like the elitist media and OBAMA, with hostility towards anybody with any religious beliefs and who can't connect to regular Americans.

You can look at Lincoln as she said, FDR, Kennedy, Reagan for specific examples of Presidents who were considered LEADERS when invoking the mention of GOD and in fact conducted PRAYER with the country in times of trouble.<yikes Liberals were born in the past two decades and might think we're crazy>

Lincoln - (quoted by Palin)

FDR- Prayed for 6 minutes with the entire country that people were doing the will of God

Eisenhower- memoir "Crusade in Europe" and added under God to the pledge of allegiance and a bunch of other religious stuff like "In God We Trust" ...it was a different era then, the communist thing ....

Kennedy - For example a very popular speech stating "I believe that God has a plan"

Carter - true to his Christian convictions but didn't use it in office to force it on anyone

Ford the same thing...

Reagan - about a million speeches invoking God... "Without God democracy will not and cannot long endure"

Keep it up, guys and your boy won't even have a Senator job to go back to. American does not like snobs and Marxist Communists "who don't even like us very much".

Go fact check some of the trash Obama is spouting like our weapons on "hair triggers". ummmm that was in the 80's maybe. He's a hate and hysteria monger imo.
Bingo! Great quotes, by the way. Good to be reminded of history.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
"your boy", apparently you do not have a clue who "my boy" is. Hint, it isn't Obama.

She is obviously a religious extremist. Anti choice and anti sex ed. Looks like it doesn't work all too well, does it?
I believe the OP topic was religion, and her so called "mission from God", no?

Old 09-11-2008, 11:27 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,588,293 times
its ok to be on a mission from god. but it gets a lot harder when you just did something ungodly. i am sure it was rough for moses. but god talked to moses and allowed him to do special miracles. i have not seen that yet, except maybe an unexpected remake by GOP of daddy warbucks & lil orphan annie.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I believe the OP topic was religion, and her so called "mission from God", no?

I believe her "mission from God" also includes reproductive rights, and we can see how well her methods work.

Also we have another one in the White House that is on a mission from God, that did not turn out too well. I am not really too keen on a repeat performance. More than half the country agrees that we are not heading in the right direction and I would expect more of the same from her, so I guess I am not the only one

Old 09-11-2008, 11:40 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,982,685 times
Quote:
I agree, although I am definitely not voting for McCain/Palin. Gibson was wrong when he said it was an exact quote. She was praying that we were doing the right thing. I almost voted for McCain when Clinton lost to Obama, but now I'll be voting Democrat.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its ok to be on a mission from god. but it gets a lot harder when you just did something ungodly. i am sure it was rough for moses. but god talked to moses and allowed him to do special miracles. i have not seen that yet, except maybe an unexpected remake by GOP of daddy warbucks & lil orphan annie.
Perhaps you're referring to SNL since Palin never said anything about a mission from God.

What a shame that people can be so sarcastic and cavalier about 4000 service people sharing a prayer about the TASK they are about to undertake. Must be nice to sit here all superior watching TV and mocking them, right?

You seem to forget by signing up for the military you are actually OBLIGATED to do TASKS like go fight or keep peace or whatever your government asks you to do.

Besides the axiom about lipstick on a pig haven't you heard "There are no athiests in foxholes?"....oh sorry, that's right athiests wouldn't be as trailer trash as to actually SIGN UP for military service. In OBAMAworld.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections