Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 08:07 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,034,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
kaykay, I respect your pro-life/anti-choice stance. However, I wish McCain showed more respect for the already born. This is a guy, like Bush, who sees no gradations in any situation. The choice isn't always about "ignore them" vs "kill them". So you're OK having those kids born who will live in degraded situations and grow up with little prospects. That's good because the Bush/McCain/Cheney/Palin administration has a good job waiting for them.

Unfortunately that job will likely involve long months and years away from their families, possibly getting severely maimed or killed to protect the profits of their corporate masters. And when they do come home missing an arm, a leg or a big chunk of their mind and personality, they will literally c**p all over them.

Remember, this is the "family values" crowd. They love your family as long as you're a lobbyist, big money donor or military officer who toes the corporate line. If you're a disabled vet, lying in your own vomit and feces, unable to care for yourself then they are the "individual responsibility" crowd.

I don't like abortions. However I don't let my dislike of that color my dislike of this administration's disregarding of the Constitution, torturing people, wiretapping, lying, awarding no-bid contracts to the corporate masters, ignoring subpoenas, suppressing voters rights, did I mention the lying.

I'm sorry you're blinded by your one issue to the other sins being committed in your name. I don't hope to dissuade you from your beliefs, but I hope you will at least consider the possibility that there are some crimes as heinous as abortion, and they're being committed by Bush and will be committed by McCain.

golfgod
This is a WONDERFUL post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 08:13 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,853,327 times
[quote=kaykay;5241500]Well, I've said it in other threads. I'll said it again...since you asked. McCain was not my first pick for president, but I more or less, have to support him because to me, abortion trumps the other issues. As a woman, I like the fact he is against Roe vs. Wade. Women have rights as any other citizen, of course, and I would certainly defend them, but I don't think any of us have a "right" to terminate a life that's already begun even if it's in our own body.

I'm sure McCain was worrying about "Life" when he was flying his jet toward the women and children in Vietnam.....! Iran, North Korea, Russia etc. Know exactly how to push McCains Buttons so that he will "Explode" America into war. He is a "Loose" Cannon and If Americans hated the Iraq war just wait to see who America will be fighting if McCain becomes President.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:52 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,426,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
This is a problem I have with the far left in general. When in tarnation did it ever become part of the Constitution that the Judicial branch enacts legislation? The Judicial branch is supposed to interpret and uphold the law. Period. End of story.

Now I've got plenty of problems with the far right as well but I can't get past this muddying of the waters by the Left.
I in turn have a real issue with this 'activist judges' thing that Bush started. Its...uneducated. I do apoligize for how that sounds because I don't mean to be offensive but I know no other way to put it. Anyway, here we go...

Marbury versus Madison. It is the first case that was decided that said the judicial review of laws was appropriate. Whether something is constitutional was a case that was decided by one of the founding fathers. And they (the founding fathers) did debate about it so you can go back and read the various opinions on Marbury v Madison but the fact of the matter is, our judicial tradition is common law. That means that when there is not a specific law that covers an issue or if the law is ambiguous the court makes a decision. In order to prevent chaos we have a principal of staredecisis which means let the decision stand. In other words, precedent.

The founders were very concerned with mobeaocracy. Its why we have the electoral college; its why originally only land owners were allowed to vote. The founders feared tyranny of the majority. And the courts are in large part there to protect the rights of the minority. Not minorities but the minority view.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:51 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,092,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
I in turn have a real issue with this 'activist judges' thing that Bush started. Its...uneducated. I do apoligize for how that sounds because I don't mean to be offensive but I know no other way to put it. Anyway, here we go...

Marbury versus Madison. It is the first case that was decided that said the judicial review of laws was appropriate. Whether something is constitutional was a case that was decided by one of the founding fathers. And they (the founding fathers) did debate about it so you can go back and read the various opinions on Marbury v Madison but the fact of the matter is, our judicial tradition is common law. That means that when there is not a specific law that covers an issue or if the law is ambiguous the court makes a decision. In order to prevent chaos we have a principal of staredecisis which means let the decision stand. In other words, precedent.

The founders were very concerned with mobeaocracy. Its why we have the electoral college; its why originally only land owners were allowed to vote. The founders feared tyranny of the majority. And the courts are in large part there to protect the rights of the minority. Not minorities but the minority view.
I understand precedent and don't disagree with you on that. I just don't feel that's what's going on with Roe v Wade and (veering a bit off topic) gay marriage. Now, do I personally care whether or not gays can be married legally in Massachusetts? No. It doesn't matter in my life. Live and let live. BUT the problem I have is the Mass Supreme Court deciding that it's legal. This isn't a case of precedent, it was a case of a bunch of appointed judges making law. Why not put it on the ballot and have the people vote? This is America, after all.

Sorry--waaaay off topic from McCain's violent tendencies!

Old 09-12-2008, 09:54 PM

I think it just shows the "gun ho" attitude that choice is only for the rich white upper elitists. Not for Women or Gays.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:00 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,280,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
kaykay, I respect your pro-life/anti-choice stance. However, I wish McCain showed more respect for the already born. This is a guy, like Bush, who sees no gradations in any situation. The choice isn't always about "ignore them" vs "kill them". So you're OK having those kids born who will live in degraded situations and grow up with little prospects. That's good because the Bush/McCain/Cheney/Palin administration has a good job waiting for them.

Unfortunately that job will likely involve long months and years away from their families, possibly getting severely maimed or killed to protect the profits of their corporate masters. And when they do come home missing an arm, a leg or a big chunk of their mind and personality, they will literally c**p all over them.

Remember, this is the "family values" crowd. They love your family as long as you're a lobbyist, big money donor or military officer who toes the corporate line. If you're a disabled vet, lying in your own vomit and feces, unable to care for yourself then they are the "individual responsibility" crowd.

I don't like abortions. However I don't let my dislike of that color my dislike of this administration's disregarding of the Constitution, torturing people, wiretapping, lying, awarding no-bid contracts to the corporate masters, ignoring subpoenas, suppressing voters rights, did I mention the lying.

I'm sorry you're blinded by your one issue to the other sins being committed in your name. I don't hope to dissuade you from your beliefs, but I hope you will at least consider the possibility that there are some crimes as heinous as abortion, and they're being committed by Bush and will be committed by McCain.

golfgod
I hear what you're saying but I would just say that most of the things you are saying are someone's "interpretation" of how things of the way things are and might be under McCain. I just don't agree with your analysis of things. I just don't see the "heinous crimes" that you do. And if there are any, I still don't view them as negatively as deliberately pursuing and supporting a legal public policy that allows for the killing of the unborn. I just don't.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:03 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,285,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
I understand precedent and don't disagree with you on that. I just don't feel that's what's going on with Roe v Wade and (veering a bit off topic) gay marriage. Now, do I personally care whether or not gays can be married legally in Massachusetts? No. It doesn't matter in my life. Live and let live. BUT the problem I have is the Mass Supreme Court deciding that it's legal. This isn't a case of precedent, it was a case of a bunch of appointed judges making law. Why not put it on the ballot and have the people vote? This is America, after all.

Sorry--waaaay off topic from McCain's violent tendencies!
What's wrong with gay marriage? Marriage is a civil ceremony, presided over by the state. To deny people their civil rights based on whom they choose to marry is undemocratic--not to mention asinine. And btw? Gay people being married in the Catholic church happened from time to time in the Middle Ages. We've come a long way, haven't we?

Old 09-12-2008, 10:03 PM

The President has the final say. He can be advised but he can make the final decision. Think back to the Cuba Crisis.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:07 PM

Gay people should have exactly the same legal rights as a heterosexual. This means the same legal rights as a couple. If America is scared of the word "Marriage" for gays then call it whatever you like. Two men or two women should be joined in a legal partnership just as heterosexual couples do. Women should also have the right to choose as to whether they will continue with a pregnancy (up to a certain time limit, when the fetus becomes a baby). To impose laws on peoples rights is wrong.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:08 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,614,597 times
Default McCain's Violent Take on Diplomacy

Physically attacking someone during a diplomacy mission? Come on. There is something wrong with McCain, if he can't physically control himself. How is this appropriate?

http://themoderatevoice.com/politics...-mccain-style/

And Republican Senator Thad Cochran's, R-Miss, thoughts on McCain being president in light of McCain's temper:
"The thought of (McCain) being president sends a cold chill down my spine. He is erratic. He is hotheaded. He loses his temper and he worries me."

And when Russert asked McCain about Cochran's comments, McCain doesn't even deny the critique.
http://technorati.com/videos/youtube...%3DY23S33KrO5s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections