Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 02:49 PM

714 posts, read 1,540,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Why are you voting for McCain? What issues/positions does he hold that you support?

Raising taxes does not provide jobs. Corporate America, which has lowered corporate taxes and taxes on the wealthy, has been outsourcing American jobs throughout the Bush administration--millions of them. Small American business have folded not because of their taxes, but because they can't compete with the WalMart's of the world.

Obama is not advocating "social healthcare," whatever that means.

What makes you think that African Americans get jobs because of their color?

I haven't read Michelle Obama's thesis. Have you?
This is exactly what I am talking about! You are correct- raising taxes does not provide jobs...so why would you vote for it?

If you don't know what social healthcare is then you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Have you ever heard of the African American Civil Rights Act? Do you know anything about Rev. Wright? Do you know the type of people that Obama surrounds himself with?

I own my own business and it takes hard work, something I think is lacking in people my age. To answer another poster..Yes, I have graduated college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 02:51 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,397,354 times
Quote:
Not true. College students, in particular, are very aware of the issues. They are also witness to the greatest economic and military meltdown, under the Republican watch, of their country in decades. They're not stupid enough, or old enough--generally speaking--to be wedded to party affiliation. In fact, they may be the most honest of all the voters out there.
I will say this: I stay current on the issues now, but I DEVOURED this stuff in my college days. Maybe it was because I was a Poly Sci minor, so this stuff came up a lot, but I was a sponge for research in my college days. I guarantee you that most people don't follow this stuff as heavily as the average college student. At least the average college students I knew and know.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:52 PM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,646,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieuk View Post

....Have you ever heard of the African American Civil Rights Act? ....
No I've never heard of it. Where did you hear of this? There is no such thing.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:00 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,672,903 times
Quote:
This is exactly what I am talking about! You are correct- raising taxes does not provide jobs...so why would you vote for it?

If you don't know what social healthcare is then you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Have you ever heard of the African American Civil Rights Act? Do you know anything about Rev. Wright? Do you know the type of people that Obama surrounds himself with?

I own my own business and it takes hard work, something I think is lacking in people my age. To answer another poster..Yes, I have graduated college.
Yes, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (there is no "African American Civil Rights Act") outlawed segregation and discrimination. Do you have issues with that? Would you prefer black and white bathrooms?

Where in Michelle's thesis does it say she will place African Americans first?

Would you prefer to have half the country starving if it put more money in your pocket? Do you value money more than humanity? Have you ever been without health insurance?

Why are you voting for McCain?

I own my own business as well, and it is hard work, and I'm voting Obama. Money is not what matters to me first.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:00 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,922,259 times
Quote:

I don't think a lot of people really understand how the affirmative action law works. They assume that people of color are chosen over people who are white and it is only based on their color. This assumption is wrong. affirmative action states that businesses are to create a model for diversity, and set goals, and achieve those goals as best they can. That does not mean if a white person is the most qualified that they have to hirer the colored person. That is NOT the case. Whoever is chosen does have to be qualified.
The law is designed so organizations are aware of diversity and not just hiring certain classifications of people. If an organization really wants to be racist.. they can always just document that the colored person was not qualified. It could leave them open for a lawsuit, but they certainly can do it and many still do and get away with it.
It doesn't have to just do with color, but any kind of minority or handicap.

Last edited by boiseguy; 09-19-2008 at 03:10 PM..

Old 09-19-2008, 03:02 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,245,901 times
Quote:
I am 29 and I will be voting for McCain, but what I can't understand is why so many people are age want to vote for Obama? Most of the ones I meet really don't know much other than it's "the cool" thing to do, in which most of them won't admit.

What draws him to you? If you are getting ready to graduate then don't you want a job? If he raises taxes and he will...jobs will be cut. Don't you believe in the right to start a business and make it your own? make money off of it? Do you want social heathcare? Are you ready to wait in long lines to go see the doctor and when you get there see an "average" doctor? If you are white are you prepared to have african americans get jobs because of their color, even when you are more qualified?

Does it not bother you that Michelle Obama stated in her thesis that she will place African Americans first and foremost? Shouldn't everyone be treated equal?

It's not cool....so what is it that you like about him?
Obama raise taxes? Check this out: Obama and McCain Tax Proposals - washingtonpost.com

Under Obama, my taxes go down about $1100 per year. Under McCain, they only go down about $300 per year.

McSame lies in his adds when he claims Obama's going to raise your taxes, etc. I used to think he was a decent guy, but not now. Not after all these lies.

Michelle will make a wonderful first lady - she's classy and strong!

Old 09-19-2008, 03:02 PM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,646,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Yes, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 outlawed segregation. Do you have issues with that? Would you prefer black and white bathrooms?

Where in Michelle's thesis does it say she will place African Americans first?

Would you prefer to have half the country starving if it put more money in your pocket? Do you value money more than humanity? Have you ever been without health insurance?

Why are you voting for McCain?

I own my own business as well, and it is hard work, and I'm voting Obama.
I wanted him to show me the "African American Civil Rights Act".
He was probably over at Wikipedia panicking.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:03 PM

293 posts, read 570,929 times
I am a 29 year old lawyer who is married and runs a small business. My wife and I will be having children within the next four years. I care what happens to the middle class. The last few years have not been that good. I think that Obama will do all he can to help the middle class...you know that people who do most of the work in this country.

I think that we need a president who thinks before he acts or speaks and will not have my future children and grandchildren fighting in Iraq! McCain does not get this.

A lot of my colleagues feel the same way and have really been following the issues. We as "young people" know the importance of this election.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:04 PM

11,359 posts, read 16,723,324 times
Quote:
Why are you voting for McCain? What issues/positions does he hold that you support?

Raising taxes does not provide jobs. Corporate America, which has lowered corporate taxes and taxes on the wealthy, has been outsourcing American jobs throughout the Bush administration--millions of them. Small American business have folded not because of their taxes, but because they can't compete with the WalMart's of the world.

Obama is not advocating "social healthcare," whatever that means.

What makes you think that African Americans get jobs because of their color?

I haven't read Michelle Obama's thesis. Have you?
Ever hear of Afirmative Action?

Old 09-19-2008, 03:05 PM

315 posts, read 761,445 times
I am in my late twenties as well and may not even vote because I am really not into either candidate but obama scares me to death. And the sad thing is I also notice that most people for obama believe that it is cool or the right thing to do. Also I notice that the media or analyst are constantly insisting that if a white person does not vote for obama then they are racist. So I emailed fox news and asked them what do they say about blacks or white who vote for obama because he is black? I am still waiting for that answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections