Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2008, 02:32 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,564 times

Advertisements

living in the Northeast for over fifteen years and attending a college that is mostly populated with people from politically-correct Northeast liberal states like New York, New Jersey, Maryland, and Massachusetts, I've seen it all, from supporting abortion regardless of irresponsibility, praising gays for their heroic stand on marriage, and sympathizing with Jews (not Israelis, but well-to-do American Jews) rambling about how the Israelis are constantly being harassed by Palestine, and other "liberal issues." But one thing that I've seen from people in this state is hidden contempt and covert scorn for particular minorities, especially blacks. The worst isn't felt by the blacks who cause problems, live off welfare, and replicate every last rapper of the past decade - they have the pity parties from the general "black community." The scorn is towards blacks who are trying to live their lives decently and provide for themselves. And this is played out as either a form of jealousy towards blacks who aren't falling in line to the status quo, or denial that "normal" blacks even exist. Now here's the catch, this is not done by the middle aged whites and other non-blacks, but by college students; you know, the youth vote who overwhelmingly supported for Obama during the primaries. Well even if this might be the case in most of the country, I can tell you that the attitudes towards normal blacks aren't pretty to say the least in the Old Yankee states. Now I can't speak for the other regions, as I assume the South w/ the possible exception for states with "New South" regions will vote for McCain, the Midwest will be a split, the West Coast is reliably Obama's, and the Mountain States - while usually Republican - is probably the epic center for Obamicans. But personally seeing how many young people are towards normal blacks and their covert racist thoughts of blacks in general, what makes anyone believe that these so-called liberal states will be a landslide, let alone safe for Obama? I just wanted to see if anyone else can see this influencing the election come November?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 03:15 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
So you're saying, raise the standards for college admission?

Yeah, I agree.

BTW the word is "epicenter."

Old 09-20-2008, 04:24 AM

607 posts, read 923,168 times
I am a college student, and I have no idea what you are talking about. I live in Texas but I still don't think my generation has contempt for successful blacks...

Old 09-20-2008, 09:58 AM

^ I'm referring to the Northeast, its covert prejudice feelings that I've seen with people from these so-called "liberal" states, and this region's reputation to act liberal to show that they're more progressive than the South. Despite this reputation, the experiences that I've seen (and have personally live) lead me to believe that the Obama lead in these Northeast states isn't as comfortable as it seems. If one needs more proof, read this:
http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/...ey-effect.html

Old 09-20-2008, 01:01 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,587,191 times
You're wrong. I'm originally from Massachusetts, with family in Maine and Vermont, and they are all very strongly pro-Obama. My grandma who is a moderate, says she never felt so enthused about a candidate since she voted for Kennedy in 1960. And she voted for Reagan twice!

About the "Bradley effect" in the NE: You think they'll tell the pollsters over the phone they support Obama, then go out the very next day and support war-monger McSame, a third term of Bush, just because of Obama's race?

You're quite delusional and confused.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:06 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
I lived in Manhattan and Rockland County and disagree completely.

America is not the same place it was, even compared to when Tom Bradley lost.

The fact that Barack Obama is the democratic nominee proves that.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:25 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,570,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecow1 View Post
I am a college student, and I have no idea what you are talking about. I live in Texas but I still don't think my generation has contempt for successful blacks...
It's because you live in Texas. I've lived in Chicago, New York, Florida, Minnesota, Mcallen Texas and now Houston. Despite the great misconceptions many have, Texas is about the least racist place in America.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:30 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Texas is about the least racist place in America
Houston is not representative of the entire state.

My brother(we're polynesian and live in CA) was called the N-word in Sealy back in 1998.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:07 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,391,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
living in the Northeast for over fifteen years and attending a college that is mostly populated with people from politically-correct Northeast liberal states like New York, New Jersey, Maryland, and Massachusetts, I've seen it all, from supporting abortion regardless of irresponsibility, praising gays for their heroic stand on marriage, and sympathizing with Jews (not Israelis, but well-to-do American Jews) rambling about how the Israelis are constantly being harassed by Palestine, and other "liberal issues." But one thing that I've seen from people in this state is hidden contempt and covert scorn for particular minorities, especially blacks. The worst isn't felt by the blacks who cause problems, live off welfare, and replicate every last rapper of the past decade - they have the pity parties from the general "black community." The scorn is towards blacks who are trying to live their lives decently and provide for themselves. And this is played out as either a form of jealousy towards blacks who aren't falling in line to the status quo, or denial that "normal" blacks even exist. Now here's the catch, this is not done by the middle aged whites and other non-blacks, but by college students; you know, the youth vote who overwhelmingly supported for Obama during the primaries. Well even if this might be the case in most of the country, I can tell you that the attitudes towards normal blacks aren't pretty to say the least in the Old Yankee states. Now I can't speak for the other regions, as I assume the South w/ the possible exception for states with "New South" regions will vote for McCain, the Midwest will be a split, the West Coast is reliably Obama's, and the Mountain States - while usually Republican - is probably the epic center for Obamicans. But personally seeing how many young people are towards normal blacks and their covert racist thoughts of blacks in general, what makes anyone believe that these so-called liberal states will be a landslide, let alone safe for Obama? I just wanted to see if anyone else can see this influencing the election come November?
I hope you're wrong in your perceptions about the Northeast. I was impressed with the fact that the entire region supported Kerry in the '04 election. This indicates that they vote with their heads. I believe strongly that this will occur again because Obama transcends race to a certain extent, in a manner that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton never could. People are not looking for a candidate whose race is the most prominent part of who they are. They are looking for someone inspiring, dignified, intelligent, someone who appears capable as a result of their background. This clearly is Obama. College students are interesting, often holding a public view that's different than their private convictions. Some may be appalled by certain people in public, yet privately sleep with one. Students are young and by definition liberal-minded for the most part. This has always been my experience.

On another note, there is a tremendous backlash in this country against a segment of the black population. People are sick to death of the hip-hop/rap influence. Little to no emphasis on academic achievement. A tendency towards thug life, thug dress, street gang persona, street slang, laziness, excuses for underachievement, glamorization of criminal activity. Baby mama. Baby daddy. Lack of respect for women. Bling, bling. Most of rap is pure crap, absolutely repulsive music. Rap is hard on the ears and offensive to just about anyone's sense of dignity, my God. No sense of obligation to elders. No desire to be people of dignity, integrity, and depth. Hip hop/rap largely regarded as a celebration of ignorance. Time for these people to face their developmental crucibles and join the frey. There are more ways to get an education than ever before. A person can get a Masters in Computer Science through an accredited online program. BS and BA degrees can be obtained online as well. No excuses. Businesses can be started and run through the internet. Colleges are screaming for black applicants in quantum physics, applied mathematics, sciences, math, medicine, law, engineering. I have always found people in the Northeast to be very direct and their disdain for this segment is no doubt at an all-time high. I don't blame them.

It takes a man like Barack Obama to properly target this segment and get results. He has faced and continues to face racism. He knows what its like to be torn, confront, and overcome personal crucibles, and he understands the mindset that breeds underachievement. McCain hasn't a clue here. I think that the people who think with their heads recognize this. It is the reason why in the Northeast, Obama's race is not a concern. What he stands for is, and this has always been what is important to people in that region of the country.

Bradley had a different problem. He was running in a state that many times feigns left, but goes right, where what a person stands for is not as important as the flavor of the month. We're talking about a state that voted against affirmative action, yet supports same-sex marriage. This is a state that elected Arnold, a Republican actor, and a man who had absolutely no business or qualifications to lead the state, but consistently is a blue state in the general election. Not a good comparison. Maybe if Bradley had won an Oscar, he might've had a better chance.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I hope you're wrong in your perceptions about the Northeast. I was impressed with the fact that the entire region supported Kerry in the '04 election. This indicates that they vote with their heads. I believe strongly that this will occur again because Obama transcends race to a certain extent, in a manner that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton never could. People are not looking for a candidate whose race is the most prominent part of who they are. They are looking for someone inspiring, dignified, intelligent, someone who appears capable as a result of their background. This clearly is Obama.
Could be, or maybe just because the Northeast is traditionally democratic. In either case, I'll be rather impressed if Obama's lead in these states maintains their pre-electoral poll numbers, let alone are greater lead.
Quote:
On another note, there is a tremendous backlash in this country against a segment of the black population. People are sick to death of the hip-hop/rap influence. Little to no emphasis on academic achievement. A tendency towards thug life, thug dress, street gang persona, street slang, laziness, excuses for underachievement, glamorization of criminal activity. Baby mama. Baby daddy. Lack of respect for women. Bling, bling. Most of rap is pure crap, absolutely repulsive music. Rap is hard on the ears and offensive to just about anyone's sense of dignity, my God. No sense of obligation to elders. No desire to be people of dignity, integrity, and depth. Hip hop/rap largely regarded as a celebration of ignorance. Time for these people to face their developmental crucibles and join the frey...I have always found people in the Northeast to be very direct and their disdain for this segment is no doubt at an all-time high. I don't blame them.
I can sort of see this throughout America, but the 2000s rap culture and those blacks (and others) who are flamboyant of it here in the Northeast (at least among the college peers) is very tolerated, praised, and sometimes defended as a kind of "culture" - something that I personally think has an underlying prejudice/ignorance to it. Regardless, the stigma, stereotype, and blame is far beyond limited to the subset of blacks who are a part of this. Seeing how I am, what I wear (which at the time of typing this is khaki shorts, a Ralph Lauren polo, and sandals), what music I listen to (which is now Rnw@y by Linkin Park), and many of the people I hang out with, one would assume me to be the antithesis of the "modern-day rap genre" follower. But I still find myself the target of subtle prejudice by non-blacks. And this is done by many students around my age. This is what lead me to starting this thread to begin with; if you have young individuals who are covertly prejudice, how bad (or rather should I say worse) it is among the middle-aged people and older individuals.
Quote:
...We're talking about a state that voted against affirmative action, yet supports same-sex marriage.
Whoa! Never thought about it like that. A big minus for Cali in my eyes. But then again, I don't really see Race-Based Affirmative Action in Cali needed as bad as it is in places like AR, MS, AL, KY, and even OH, MI, MO, and IN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections