Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:12 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,432,624 times

Advertisements

The Obama campaign has written radio stations in Pennsylvania and Ohio, pressing them to refuse to air an ad from the National Rifle Association.
Quote:
"This advertisement knowingly misleads your viewing audience about Senator Obama's position on the Second Amendment," says the letter from Obama general counsel Bob Bauer. "For the sake of both FCC licensing requirements and the public interest, your station should refuse to continue to air this advertisement."
The ad, "Hunter," conflates Obama's anti-gun stances of the 1990s with his current, more pro-gun, stand, and was chided for inaccuracy in The Washington Post, an item to which Bauer's letter refers.

NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam, who provided the letter, said it shows clear evidence that the ads are "hurting him," and stood by their substance. He also provided a copy of the NRA's own letter to the stations and memo disputing the Post story, after the jump. He also said the ad is running only in Pennsylvania at the moment.
It appears that the Obama campaign legal team is using threatening tactics (see bold above) to try to get the stations to stop airing the NRA ads.

Below is the NRA's legal team's response directed to the stations in question.

Quote:
MEMORANDUM
CLIENT-MATTER NUMBER
999100-0130
TO: Station Managers

Counsel to National Rifle Association

DATE: September 25, 2008

RE: Documentation for Advertising by National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund ("NRA-PVF")

This firm serves as counsel to the National Rifle Association (“NRA”) and the National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund ("NRA-PVF"), which is the federal political action committee of the NRA and the sponsor of certain advertising purchased and soon-to-be purchased on your station. It has come to my clients’ attention that the Obama for President campaign is engaging in an effort to prevent or stop the airing of certain ads by NRA-PVF, falsely alleging that the ads are ‘inaccurate’. The Obama presidential campaign apparently relies on an article appearing in the Washington Post on September 23, 2008 to support its contention hat the NRA-PVF ads should not be aired.
See the rest of the letter here.

Link to the TV version of the ad in question:

YouTube - Hunter - Obama TV ad
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-25-2008 at 09:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 09:43 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,917,842 times
i laughed, WHO IS THIS GUY? rofl exactly!!!!

i may just join the NRA because of this commercial, lol.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:46 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,862,730 times
criticism=racism

Old 09-25-2008, 09:46 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,235,303 times
They told me that if George W. Bush were re-elected there would be brazen efforts to suppress free speech on political grounds -- and they were right!

(ht: Instapundit)
Quote:
I fear that under the Obama administration, the lawyers sending these letters will be government employees.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:47 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,063,414 times
We have unions to do our thuggery, thank you very much. We use lawyers for work that requires a bit more finesse.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:55 PM

835 posts, read 1,322,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
We have unions to do our thuggery, thank you very much. We use lawyers for work that requires a bit more finesse.

Not anymore...the lawyers have infiltrated state governments in Texas...can someone explain to me why a lawyer heads the Office of water development and overseas and manages a group of engineers?
Ya I can't figure it out either.....ironic at best. Not much finesse to the water development board.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:57 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,662,086 times
FactCheck.org: NRA Targets Obama

In case anyone cares to check

Old 09-25-2008, 09:58 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,454,952 times
I know Michigan is a big hunting state how about Ohio and PA? I would assume so too!

Old 09-25-2008, 09:58 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,496,217 times
Wow, this is a job for Radio Free West Virginnie to crank up their zillion watt stations and aim them directly at Pennsetucky and inform the masses!

Old 09-25-2008, 10:01 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,496,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I know Michigan is a big hunting state how about Ohio and PA? I would assume so too!

I don't know about Ohio but Pennsylvania is a HUGE hunting state. More deer are killed by cars in Pa then most states by hunters. Pennsylvania Game Commission - State Wildlife Management Agency: Deer and Deer Management in Pennsylvania (http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/browse.asp?a=465&bc=0&c=70124 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections