Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 11:11 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,494,332 times

Advertisements

At least that's what Michael Steele thinks. I must admit that I find his logic and the gratuitous use of the term "off the hook" and "bling bling" very disconcerting." What exactly is a hip hop makeover and how can one be done on the Rep party? Do they really think this will attract a younger and more racially diverse group of voters?

Quote:
Newly elected Republican National Committee Chairman Michael S. Steele plans an “off the hook” public relations offensive to attract younger voters, especially blacks and Hispanics, by applying the party's principles to “urban-suburban hip-hop settings.”
Washington Times - Steele: GOP needs 'hip-hop' makeover

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 11:53 AM

419 posts, read 603,261 times
He is right

He is also right about republicans need to use the internet better.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:59 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,020,820 times
Why would you find it "gratuitous?" Obama was elected because the urban youth thought he was "cool" and they worked hard for his campaign. Personally, I found the Che Guevara-like images of Obama to be gratuitous but they worked, apparently. The Obamaphiles succeeded in creating a "coolness" aura around Obama that has little basis in reality but people actually bought it.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:04 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,350,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Why would you find it "gratuitous?" Obama was elected because the urban youth thought he was "cool" and they worked hard for his campaign. Personally, I found the Che Guevara-like images of Obama to be gratuitous but they worked, apparently. The Obamaphiles succeeded in creating a "coolness" aura around Obama that has little basis in reality but people actually bought it.
"Bought" is the operative term here. I sometimes wonder if we (all of us, from FUBU to Abercrombie to Toyota Pious to Hummer) have not simply been trained so well to be consumers of imagery and style that our concept of reality is hopelessly infantile and useless in the other, tangible world, with all its unfairness, ugliness, and painful consequences.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
"Bought" is the operative term here. I sometimes wonder if we (all of us, from FUBU to Abercrombie to Toyota Pious to Hummer) have not simply been trained so well to be consumers of imagery and style that our concept of reality is hopelessly infantile and useless in the other, tangible world, with all its unfairness, ugliness, and painful consequences.
Good point! I think we're at the point where we need to elect a figurehead AND a political leader. The figurehead can "look cool," make people smile and cheer, represent America on good will trips and, basically, do no harm. The only requirements would be a good personality, attractiveness, and some eloquence.

Once that person was selected, we could elect someone who was actually qualified to make important decisions and lead. The minimum criteria should be someone with military and chief executive experience (in the public or private sector), plus a degree in economics, public administration or some other highly relevant field. We wouldn't have to care what he or she looks like because we'd have the cheerleader-in-chief already making people feel good.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:39 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,350,249 times
Quote:
Good point! I think we're at the point where we need to elect a figurehead AND a political leader. The figurehead can "look cool," make people smile and cheer, represent America on good will trips and, basically, do no harm. The only requirements would be a good personality, attractiveness, and some eloquence.

Once that person was selected, we could elect someone who was actually qualified to make important decisions and lead. The minimum criteria should be someone with military and chief executive experience (in the public or private sector), plus a degree in economics, public administration or some other highly relevant field. We wouldn't have to care what he or she looks like because we'd have the cheerleader-in-chief already making people feel good.
You seem to be arguing for a prime minister/chief of state arrangement. I'm not sure that that's what's needed, especially since nearly every country that has such a system ends up choosing its prime minister from the ranks of skilled political con men (and women), rather than from qualified and experienced executive (as opposed to parliamentary) leaders.

I guess my point is that our whole society needs a makeover in what it defines as virtue and how it would describe a positive life. We have strayed too far in the direction of "style" and neglected substance; we have ensrhined mindless adolescence as a kind of arbiter of values; we have been trained to desire, even expect as our due, toys and baubles which have little lasting value and which squander our resources and energies.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not opposed to fun, edginess, or the occasional frisson of outright craziness. I just wish we would expand our definition of "hip" beyond cold money-lust and dull, conformist ostentation...

Old 02-19-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
You seem to be arguing for a prime minister/chief of state arrangement. I'm not sure that that's what's needed, especially since nearly every country that has such a system ends up choosing its prime minister from the ranks of skilled political con men (and women), rather than from qualified and experienced executive (as opposed to parliamentary) leaders.
Sure, there's always a risk. But it's better than a populace being taken in and voting for president on the basis of personality rather than experience and competence. That's how 43 AND 44 were elected -- People "liked" them, wanted to have a beer with them, etc.

And Americans seem to need their own "royalty." There's apparently something missing for them that they need "special families" to admire. Look at how the "Kennedy mystique" endures and how folks actually care about what the celebs say and do when it comes to politics.

Despite all of the bravado and assertiveness, there must be some self-esteem problems rampant in America. It would explain the need for designer labels, the elevation of unworthies as "betters," and the constant need to be entertained and look at pretty pictures.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:05 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,211,805 times
Ugh, some people always assume they know why someone votes for a certain candidate and ALL people who voted for that candidate must have voted for him or her for the same reason.

Get a life, I voted for Obama because I agreed with his platform. Truthfully, I could have voted for Clinton because their platforms were pretty similar but I still didn't like Clinton at that point and I really liked Obama. So sue me, I don't want to vote for someone if they have biatch face all the time. It's not my fault a certain candidate always looks pissy, it just doesn't make me want to vote for that candidate.

As for the hip-hop makeover. I don't think it will help. Democrats have a lock on the African-American and youth votes and Republicans acting "hip" won't change that.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:11 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,183,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
At least that's what Michael Steele thinks. I must admit that I find his logic and the gratuitous use of the term "off the hook" and "bling bling" very disconcerting." What exactly is a hip hop makeover and how can one be done on the Rep party? Do they really think this will attract a younger and more racially diverse group of voters?

Washington Times - Steele: GOP needs 'hip-hop' makeover

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
LOL! What a horrific image this conjures up.

Steele is never quoted as saying "hip-hop makeover" as far as I see - that's the words of the Fox, uh, the Wash Times reporter.

He's wasting his breath talking in terms that could remotely be translated as "hip-hop makeover"....and naturally the Washington Times plays hostile/frightened... a good reflection of the people Steele is trying to spur into action.

Good luck Steele.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:20 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,494,332 times
I find it gratuitous because it doesn't seem genuine. Are there other examples of Steele using slang prior when the GOP wasn't concerned about the black/Hispanic vote? Besides - "off the chain" and "bling bling" are old - the kids don't say that anymore and it further reflects how disconnected he is.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections