Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 04:50 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,181,439 times

Advertisements

And donate to the Congressional campaigns of Ron Paul Republicans and anyone they recommend. There are a lot of them. Sound money is way more important than killing brown people at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 04:51 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,181,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I believe that the Ross Perot experience in 1992 played a significant role in the election of the 1994 Congress which led to a balancing of the budget.
I expect in 2010 and specifically 2012 to see a new wave of politicians taking office all over the country. I just hope this time, they can stick with it and not be corrupted by the machine.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:15 AM

9,401 posts, read 14,353,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
And donate to the Congressional campaigns of Ron Paul Republicans and anyone they recommend. There are a lot of them. Sound money is way more important ...
I tried contacting by email Ron Paul organizations but I never receive any response, gives me the impression that they are not serious, at least in my region.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:26 AM

894 posts, read 4,353,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
As a political science major one of the first thing you learn is that structurally, voting for a third party is doomed in failure in our type of system. Which is basically a winner take all form of government. You can get away with this in a Parliamentarian system but not here. You actually wind up helping the party you are most opposed to by voting third party.

Bingo. Although I am not pleased with either candidate, by voting third party will split my vote and I know who the lesser of two evils I would rather have in office.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:29 AM

48,229 posts, read 22,044,274 times
Because of the last election in which people wasted their vote on a third party candidate:

there are more than 4 thousand dead american servicemen and hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqi civilians ; we have dead American children who ate tainted meat/poultry that the industry "self regulated"; pre-washed salads and salsa are a toss of the dice...because this "less government" administration doesnt want any legislation that creates a paper trail of where the food came from; we have toxic toys on the store shelves and in the toy boxes because of economic and foreign policy, dead pets; we are vulnerable to terrorist attack in our ports and borders....and we are racing down the destructive path to climate change. We have Supreme Court Justices who can't find any Constitutional right of privacy or limits on Executive excess.

It really makes a difference if and how we vote!

Old 09-28-2008, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Because of the last election in which people wasted their vote on a third party candidate: ...

It really makes a difference if and how we vote!
I know what you mean but, as I wrote above, the 1992 vote for Ross Perot did lead to practical positive consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted paperhouse
I expect in 2010 and specifically 2012 to see a new wave of politicians taking office all over the country. I just hope this time, they can stick with it and not be corrupted by the machine.
This looks like the best hope at the moment.

In the meantime ... hunker-down mode!

Old 09-28-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
A protest vote is just a protest vote.

They most effective way to get your best candidates in office is to go outside your own district if needed and help "good" candidates in your own party, in close elections ...
My district is in left field with a hockey stick and the alternative parties have not fielded registered candidates. The next nearest districts with registered alternatives are not within a reasonable distance.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:44 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,877,478 times
We have a media that plays to one 2 candidates... im sure it is just a coincidence that all the changes in the legislation that allows ownership of papers, tv and radio stations came from these politicians.
We have 2 parties that are saying the same thing, there is no difference.
We have people explaining infidelity is ok and to be expected
We have massive greed and power struggles.
Politicians have become self serving and as corrupt as possible.
We have to candidates with nearly the same voting record, in other words they subscribe and believe the same thing.
Our media tells us what the politicians want us to hear and keep pounding on the same points... remember the Weapons of Mass distruction? you couldnt turn on a channel without hearing the term. and how they were going to get us.... Whose interest were served? Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld and others. The bulk of America got saddled with 9.5 T in debt, sacrificed 4500 servicemen, wounded 30,000 more, and are paying $3.65 a gallon for gas, while we loose our homes. We have inadequate health care and expensive insurance, crime is high, drug use is high, natural disasters have left many in substandard conditions. The wealthy have never had it so well they distroy the economy and have the politicians willing to give them our money so they can do it again and make it even worse on us. Did you hear that in your state of the union? We are lied to and directed like cattle to the slaughter at every turn.

Now here is the sad news. because of tradition or how their family always did it Americans vote for the parties they have always voted for, even though those parties arent the same. The 2 parties we have now have mutated into something that is not the way it was. Do you remember? The democrats chose social programs to hep the people and build the economy, while the Republicans, wanted smaller government and strong military? Do you remember? When the election was over we came together as a country to get the business of the country done that would help the Americans.... Now who is being helped? large corporations, whiite collar thieves, and politicians. the bulk of America is left to foot the bill.
The only resembalance of the American way comes from the third parties. It is American to have choice, to debate freely, to agree to disagree, to build a place where everyone has hope, to practice our beleifs, to not worry that the government is reading our mail (e-mail), tapping our phones, or dismantling the Constitution.
Among the other parties We have the independents, The Green Party, The Libertarian Party, the Constitutional Party, and a bunch of others. Presently We have 3 other party candidates that have any support, Raplh Nader at about 6%, Bob Barr at about 2% and Cynthia McKinney at 1%. If you read Bob Barrs history you will find he is nothing different than a Republican, He votes the same way as McCain, cheated on his wife too, and was a Republican for most of his life, He seems to go in the most advantageous direction. That Leaves Nader and MCKinney as origiinals.
These are the two that deserve the attention of the American people because they stand for what the American way is....or at least was. They both have detailed views on their platform and they make sense.
I have posted this link before but it really does illustrate that Obama and McCain are the McSame.

YouTube - Obama McCain and Nader Three Way Presidential Debate

The biggest choice we have with the 2 candidates is the old white man or the nearly white black man. Just by being black Obama has great appeal to black American because they long for the chance to be seen and heard but I doubt he is the one to carry that mission forward, if you really want the stereotypes beaten then Cynthia McKinney is both black and female.

Nader has for as long as I can remember (i'm 50) worked for the consumer and the American way. His interests have been to protect us and our interests and it stands true today. He isn't for the corporate exec or the big businesses that take our jobs overseas and then ask for bailouts....( call the call centers of the banks and see how many are not in America)

All I say is investigate all the candidates and see who you agree with the most. go to youtube and lookup nader and mckinney, Google them and see their history, do the same for the other 2 candidates. Look at them for what they are, not what they say they are. Politicians lie so it is your job to ferret out the truth.

Wouldnt it be nice if we had an honest politician? Or if we had natioanl security that didnt require we eliminate our freedom? Or corporate greed didnt come before the safety and welfare of American's

There is a choice and you won't hear it in the media. Once upon a tilme you did and it wasnt that long ago... Remember John Anderson? you heard him regularly on the news. The media covered his campaign. Since Ronald Regan things have changed.

If you want to protest a vote then vote third party that will say way more than not voting or voting for the lesser of 2 evils. Don't be disillusioned and stay away from voting, get outraged and make your voices heard. Tell the pollsters you are voting for Nader... if he shows 15% they claim they will allow him to debate. I think we need to hold real debates and if the 2 primary candidates don't appear don't vote for them.

If you want the a system that lies to you to get you into a war that makes their friends rich, if you want corporate interests served at your expense then vote for the 2 parties. But if you beleive in the Constitution and the real American way then make a real change and vote third party. I hope you will look at Nader and see if your preconceptioons match reality. As I have become more educated in the process I ahve finally decided on 1 candidate and it is Nader for me. I am telling people I know I would dearlyy love to see the people rise up and slam dunk these theives out of office. We do need change and it is towards words like integrity, honesty, compassion, freedom, liberty... those are American words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections